The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's a shame that Taylor does not offer this upgrade through certified, Taylor dealers. Many of them have techs/luthiers who are certified to work on Taylor guitars. I would 100% upgrade my Taylor to the ES2 if this was the case. My Taylor already had the ES1 holes so it would only be the saddle installation and that doesn't bother me.

That's a good point. Since all Taylors have uniform bridges, I have to believe they could supply a jig to shops to do the drilling.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's a shame that Taylor does not offer this upgrade through certified, Taylor dealers. Many of them have techs/luthiers who are certified to work on Taylor guitars. I would 100% upgrade my Taylor to the ES2 if this was the case. My Taylor already had the ES1 holes so it would only be the saddle installation and that doesn't bother me.
Yeah, I just dropped it off this morning at UPS and the charge to ship was $76, one way. Fro those of you keeping score that's half the cost of the upgrade.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Yeah, I just dropped it off this morning at UPS and the charge to ship was $76, one way. Fro those of you keeping score that's half the cost of the upgrade.
Thanks for the update. Commenting for myself, I always appreciate being informed as to how a selected course of action works out.

It sounds like you're having second thoughts now. Hopefully, the final results will be worth the hassle and expense.

FWIW, I had a Taylor 314ce with the old Fishman Prefix barn door system at one time. The Prefix was quickly pulled out and replaced by a passive Baggs LB6. Other pickups which served in that guitar include Baggs iMix, Baggs M1, Baggs Anthem SL, Mi-Si Acoustic Duo, GHS Mini-Flex Mic, MiniFlex2Mic, DTAR Wavelength and PUTW #27. At the time I sold it, it had two jacks and a nice UST/SBT dual system installed. I nevertheless lost $500 on the resale (even though I'd bought it used for a modest $1100). Albeit, I did recoup maybe $100 by selling the used Prefix system.

In any event, I've been there and done that on replacing pickups. Considering that you would have had the ES era Taylor jack assembly to deal with, I still think that having Taylor upgrade the system was a better option than switching out pickups. Even if the ES2 disappoints, the upgrade will enhance your resale value rather than hurting it.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 PM

When I got home from UPS there was an email that said I had been billed for 54 pounds. I knew that couldn't be right so I went back to argue the point. They said it was due to the dimensions. I guess they might have explained that on the email.

Anyhow, I'm into the 314 for $900 so far, and I like how it plays and sounds. And, I don't want take my 814 to sketchy gigs, so... It's all good.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Fishman Aura Spectrum DI Preamp Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
When I got home from UPS there was an email that said I had been billed for 54 pounds. I knew that couldn't be right so I went back to argue the point. They said it was due to the dimensions. I guess they might have explained that on the email.

Anyhow, I'm into the 314 for $900 so far, and I like how it plays and sounds. And, I don't want take my 814 to sketchy gigs, so... It's all good.

I think the shipping is an annoyance for sure. But you'll be in for less than $1500. And that's very reasonable for a gig guitar.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-31-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Wags

if your Taylor 314ce has ES1, Fishman Aura will not work. Aura is meant for piezo and mainly UST. I have a 414ce from 2011 and the Aura pedal.

I don't remember when Taylor introduced the ES1 but it is somewhere around 2003. Taylor ES2 was introduced around 2014 I guess.

So if your guitar is between those dates: No Aura for you.

Note that Taylor has a program ($300) to upgrade to ES2 that is known to work well with Tonedexter for example.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages

Cuki

Piezo and UST only...wouldnt it work with ANY fishman pickup, such as any in their Rare Earth family?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
Piezo and UST only...wouldnt it work with ANY fishman pickup, such as any in their Rare Earth family?

Aura is designed to be used with a Fishman Matrix UST. They make the images based on the signal from a UST. Other pickups may work, but it would be a matter of luck, trial and error.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:33 AM

Magnetic pickup are not meant to work with Fishman Aura.

Fishman Aura is "approximatively" a 2048 band EQ that corrects the UST tone.

The magnetic pickup tone changes with the notes you play.

As you go up the neck, the notes have less harmonics. This effect is related to the position of the magnetic pickup and it is also the reason why the 3 pickups of a stratocaster have different tone.

You can't do anything about that. It is very noticeable for example in the Taylor ES1 pickup which is magnetic based.

a UST will have the same frequency response whatever notes you play. So it can be corrected by this type of effect.

For curious people, here is a simulator:
http://www.till.com/articles/PickupR...emo/index.html

You can grab the left part of the string and move it along the fretboard to simulate your left hand fretting a note. If you clic on show harmonics. Little rounds describe the frequencies that are part of your string sound. For certain fretting positions the harmonics fall into the holes of the pickup response. You could in principle correct the response for this string with Fishman Aura... But as soon as you would play another string, the frequency response would change... So the Aura image would not match anymore.

Basically Fishman could make an Aura image for a magnetic pickup as long as the player would play only one string or tune all the strings to the same note (like EEEEEE tuning).

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification