The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Mic placement offset soundhole...

My Composite Acoustics Xi has an offset soundhole. I'm not super keen on the amplified undersaddle pickup, so I'd like to amplify with a microphone. I'm using an Audio Technical Pro37 run directly into an AER Compact 60.

Eventually, I'll probably get a Tone Dexter, but for now any recommendations on mic placement? In order to get the volume & bass response that I want, I need to place the mic very close (almost inside) the soundhole, which generally isn't optimal.

Thoughts on mic placement? Thoughts on equipment welcome as well. (I've been lusting after a Grace Design Felix mic/instrument preamp.)

Last edited by ronadair; 09-06-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

You never want to mic the soundhole in any guitar - that just produces a boomy mess. I have limited experience with carbon fiber guitars, but I suspect they are challenging to mic. Most tend to be rather quiet, compared to wood guitars, at least the ones I've played. The usual spot for micing is the neck-body joint, and you might have to adjust that a bit to avoid the soundhole.

I'd go for a pickup, where the playing field becomes more level, and the carbon fiber guitar may even have an advantage. I have an Anthem in my Rainsong, and it sounds quite good plugged in (so-so acoustically). Any of the pickup choices seem likely to work, even SBTs like K&K, Trance, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug.

I've got 1/2 the Anthem already. From what I gather, I can add the mic; but it might be just as easy to get the Anthem setup.

Still, I kinda' like the idea of getting familiar with amplifying via a mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification