The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you are enjoying the journey, which is surely an essential part of the whole experience.

I think the reason you like the 52 AVRI is because it is darned difficult to find a finer tele!

Same goes with that Princeton amp. Sweet clean tone right there.

Glad you're having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies.

I played a couple of guitars this week--a MIM Telecaster (Standard, I think), an American Standard, and a AVRI '52. I have plans to try out the AVRI '58 this week, but, wow, that '52 is nice. The neck has such a great feel in hand, and tone is fantastic. Frankly, I liked the tone of the other two as well, but I couldn't deal with those thin necks. I'll be curious to see how the '58 feels in hand.

I didn't do too much with amps, but I tested a Blues Jr. NOS and a Princeton ('68 reissue, I think). I like the way the Blues Jr sounded when pushed, but the Princeton had a nicer clean tone to my ears.

That was the first foray, and I'll keep looking. I'll try to find a G&L to check out, and Carvin amp too, but I have a hard time imagining a better feeling neck than the '52 AVRI.

I've even been mulling over building one (well, assembling one anyway.) I've not done sufficient research yet to really know what I'd be getting into, but those Warmoth parts look nice.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Here's the only amp you'll need.

https://reverb.com/item/3910365-guyt...-s-black-black

It's a Guytron 100 GT with the F/V module added. The amp can replicate Blackface, Silverface, or Marshall or Valco tones at bedroom volumes (clean, or saturated), or fill a concert hall.

The amp has two channels. Each channel has pre and power stage which is then fed into a common third EL34 based power stage at line level. This last power stage then amplifies the tone shaped in channel one or two to whatever volume you want. It will give you a clean tone at 100 watts, or a saturated tone at 1/2 a watt if you want. The common third stage power channel is kind of like a PA in function.

I know it's a lot of money, and probably more amp than you'll ever need. but it's also probably the last amp you'll ever need -and built here in the US.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:04 AM

100 watts amp sounds too much for home playing.

How about a Friedman PT-20 Pink Taco Mini 20W 1x10 Combo?

Hand made in USA they sound very nice to me.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
100 watts amp sounds too much for home playing.

How about a Friedman PT-20 Pink Taco Mini 20W 1x10 Combo?

Hand made in USA they sound very nice to me.
i always wanted to compare the pink taco vs. the brown eye amps just because of their names.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-03-2017, 03:55 PM

I am kind of in the OP's boat. I already have the Tele (its a MIM from the mid-90s) but am presently thinking about the amp side of the equation. The Blues Jr. or the 65 Princeton reverb reissue are definitely in the running.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
I would also look into the Squier line by Fender. Not the cheapo models (Affinity, etc.), rather something like the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom
which I bought last year for $400. It plays extremely well for a non - American Fender.
I played an Affinity Squier Tele not long ago and was quite impressed with the tones I was getting out of that thing. I should have bought it. It was a really good guitar.

I love Teles and have owned quite a few. At this time I have a Nashville Mex Tele and it has served me well for many years. I also have one of the nicer Squier Teles and it is a great guitar. I paid $150 for that axe and have used it all across the SE for at least 15 years.

Would I rather have an American? Of course, but they are so proud of them. LOL...Don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in owning and playing the best you can afford, and buying American. Sometimes it comes with a ridiculous price tag, but not always. Depending on your budget, whatever it may be, go for the one that sounds and plays the best for you. As someone has already mentioned, if you look around at used guitars you can score an American for a fair enough price.

Again, I love Telecasters and maybe I am biased, but there is a reason for it. They are awesome! I don't think you will ever regret owning one. Good luck
Old 09-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am kind of in the OP's boat. I already have the Tele (its a MIM from the mid-90s) but am presently thinking about the amp side of the equation. The Blues Jr. or the 65 Princeton reverb reissue are definitely in the running.
The Blues Jr is a fine amp for the money.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Hey All,

Have you tried a Baja Tele? Many think it one of the best telex ever. The broadcaster bridge for rock country the twisted Tele neck for blues a great pair of pickups. It has a four way not three way switch and an in/out of phase push button switch. You have in order bridge both (in parallel) neck both (in serial) and in/out of phase for the two both positions. Serial gives you some humbucking sound and phase differences add to it.

Another vid...

https://youtu.be/o_946c1zHks

The vid shows the tonal difference for bridge to neck....

I think anybody shopping for a Tele should try a Baja.

And they go for around 800 US. A well made MIM.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"

Last edited by EasyEd; 09-03-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Reminds me of an old craigslist ad that said "... made in Mexico by fine Mexican craftsmen, as opposed to made in the California plant by fine Mexican craftsmen."

I agree with Jerry D's comment.
Best answer in this thread!!! I bought a new Squier Classic Tele in Butterscotch with maple neck and fret board ( my teacher likes rosewood fretboards better and I can see why), but this guitar rocks. Has that great tele snap from the p/ups from the factory. Fro under 400 out the door I feel I did pretty good.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
The Blues Jr is a fine amp for the money.
I know. And is arguably better for home playing (can do more at less volume). It would make some sense to go that way.

I am attracted to the 65 PRRI, though. Pretty close to a classic amp without spending vintage or small builder money.

I am going to put it off the purchase for a couple of months, probably until Christmas.

I don't play out, and am also considering spending a few more bucks and getting one of the low wattage amps from a small builder. Might suit me better.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies.

I played a couple of guitars this week--a MIM Telecaster (Standard, I think), an American Standard, and a AVRI '52. I have plans to try out the AVRI '58 this week, but, wow, that '52 is nice. The neck has such a great feel in hand, and tone is fantastic. Frankly, I liked the tone of the other two as well, but I couldn't deal with those thin necks. I'll be curious to see how the '58 feels in hand.

I didn't do too much with amps, but I tested a Blues Jr. NOS and a Princeton ('68 reissue, I think). I like the way the Blues Jr sounded when pushed, but the Princeton had a nicer clean tone to my ears.

That was the first foray, and I'll keep looking. I'll try to find a G&L to check out, and Carvin amp too, but I have a hard time imagining a better feeling neck than the '52 AVRI.

I've even been mulling over building one (well, assembling one anyway.) I've not done sufficient research yet to really know what I'd be getting into, but those Warmoth parts look nice.
Yeah, those '52s are great. You've already gotten a lot of great suggestions and seem to be headed towards what you want.

As others have said, those Baja's are great guitars too. I almost bought one, but didn't need one.

I have an American Standard, but a friend gave me a G&L ASAT Classic for my birthday a few years ago. That's the guitar I usually grab when I play electric nowadays.

As far as amps go, I recommend the Princeton '65 RI for your needs, especially over the Blues Jr. The Blues Jr just doesn't have that Fender sound to me, but Fender certainly has sold a lot of them. Look for a used one.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Hey All,

To me amps tend to be well defined by the tubes they use.

Fender cleans and nice bass tend to be 6l6 based. To many a blues Jr does not sound like a fender well duh it is el84 tube based which to me is the vox sound. The other common tube is the el34 which is generally associated with the Marshall sound and overdrive. Of course amp circuitry and such does change the sound but you never get away from the basic tube characteristics to the extent you sound like a different tube.

As a guitar player what sound do you want and how purely do you want to replicate it?

If you are a purest you end up with multiple tube amps or you compromise and go to modeling amps which will probably never have the purity of a tube. Or you only play one kind of music.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 AM

I went through the same thing last year. I did a ton of research, probably too much. At some point I walked into a local music store that must have had two dozen telecasters hanging there. I spent about two hours playing a bunch of them through a clean amp. The one that I liked best was the one I bought, a US made Fender American Special. I'm very happy with it. In my opinion, you need to play a bunch of them until you find yours.

Svea

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars