The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-25-2016, 02:28 PM

Default A Tale of Two Froggies

My son recently took delivery of a custom ordered Froggy K in adirondack over madagascar rosewood. The back was 4-piece and the body was built 1/4" less deep for my son's request to avoid boominess. The guitar would be used in recordings usually strummed with pick. I went to visit him recently and brought along my Froggy F, a 25 year old guitar with very old german spruce and koa to compare.

The guitars could not be more different though curiously they both have what I hear as the voice of Froggy Bottom Guitars: a generous sustain which does not ring forever together with harmonics that give a natural sense of subtle reverb. My son's K is fun and direct to pay at 2 weeks of age. Great voice which doesn;t need a hard pick to create tone; my fingernails were just fine to play fingerstyle pieces and using a pick really opens up the voice. Compared to the 25 y old F, the K is a bit louder and bolder (adirondack effect?) whereas the old german spruce over koa is a bit more transparent and subtle, though not shrinking. After many hours of playing both, I have no preference. The new K is young and bold, the F is rich and detailed.

Here they are sharing the couch together.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:34 PM

Two great looking instruments! Can't wait to hear. A-B post?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop