The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Life in the Acoustic Guitar Forum

Do any of you long timers in the Acoustic Guitar Forum have anything to say about your time in the Forum? When you post we will see when you joined and how many posts you've made. We'd particularly like to hear from the old timers who are greatly outnumbered by the newbies.

What do you like about the Forum? What do you dislike? How has it changed?

How about a story about what you've learned from the AGF, how you got up to those thousands of posts, your all night posting sessions, obnoxious posters etc.?
What do you like to see or what cheeses you off?

Any comments by anyone are welcome.

Last edited by guitar george; 02-22-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
What cheeses you off?
"Cheeses" you off???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
"Cheeses" you off???
It means "angers (or) irritates you."

George, I tend to avoid commenting in threads that are about online forum behavior, simply because they never have any effect whatsoever about how people behave online. We can make all the heartfelt cases we want about this or that, but the threads themselves tend to serve as places for folks to vent a little bit, and nothing more.

What I like about this forum in particular is not only the vast array of knowledge and resources that we have at our fingertips, but I also enjoy the banter and sometimes unexpected humor.

This is the best guitar forum I've found so far, neither vicious and malicious or boring and slow-moving. It moves at a good little clip, and the vast majority of the people on here are helpful and friendly. Yes, the occasional "Type A personality" jerk with a bad case of the "last honest man" syndrome will show up every now and then to yammer at the rest of us about all the things we're doing wrong, but those dorks don't generally last very long before they're either booted or they learn to modify their approach.

So I have no complaints about the AGF. I think it's a great online community.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 AM

i'm neww, but the number of knowledgable people with great breadth and depth of knowledge is great. and of course all are guitar lovers.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
. . . What I like about this forum in particular is not only the vast array of knowledge and resources that we have at our fingertips, but I also enjoy the banter and sometimes unexpected humor.

This is the best guitar forum I've found so far, neither vicious and malicious or boring and slow-moving. It moves at a good little clip, and the vast majority of the people on here are helpful and friendly. Yes, the occasional "Type A personality" jerk with a bad case of the "last honest man" syndrome will show up every now and then to yammer at the rest of us about all the things we're doing wrong, but those dorks don't generally last very long before they're either booted or they learn to modify their approach.

So I have no complaints about the AGF. I think it's a great online community . . .
This is what I would have typed in if Wade wouldn't have gotten around to it first
Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 AM

I agree with Wade as well. I know the earlier days sometimes it could get really slow on here, now sometimes threads almost get pages long quickly, which can be good and bad, but it isn't as overwhelming as some forums. I like that in general people here are still positive and helpful, where other forums have just become a big argument.

As for the thousands of posts obviously I don't have that. I generally don't post unless I feel like I have something to add to the topic.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 AM

Primarily, it was a place to talk about acoustic guitars for me. My brother, who lives in England, was the only other person I knew that had any interest in them, so the initial appeal was simply to share experiences. Although I've picked up information occasionally, the learning aspect is less important to me than the opportunity just to talk about a guitar we like or have liked and compare notes about how and what we play.

Like many people who've been here a while, I've gravitated towards the open mic when the small details of guitar playing and owning guitars get a bit repetitive. There's a real mixture of people in this section; my impression is that it's improved over the years I've been here because the contributors have become more diverse. When I joined, I felt it to be a little parochial with a very particular agenda about what was right and wrong, good and evil. I find that this constriction has eased somewhat.

A big plus here, though, as Wade mentioned, is the movement of posts. I tried out one or two others, but these other ones seemed populated by people who turned up only occasionally, and there was no sense of a moving conversation. Another plus is that it represents no particular brand of guitar. Like many people here, I'm not a "fan" of any particular brand to the extent that I want a sizeable portion of discussion devoted to that brand. Having said that, I notice that after years of playing musical chairs with different guitars, nearly all the ones I own now are Godins!

Last edited by ewalling; 02-22-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 AM

What Wade said.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I don't frequent many other forums, but what I notice is that with AGF's popularity, it's sometimes like having a conversation with others due to the sheer numbers who utilize AGF. With other forums a post can go days without a response. Truth be told, I've gotten a little too wrapped up in disagreements and into trouble because of this, but it does tend to bolster the post count...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM

The things I like are pretty much along the lines of what has been posted thus far.
I usually , but not always, won't read a response that covers half of a page no matter how well written...too much information for me.
The AGF is a great study in human behavior and if you pay attention, you can begin to get to know a lot about how certain people will generally react. This affords me the opportunity to find "kindred spirits".
Great minds think alike

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
What Wade said.
What David said.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Thumbs up What do you like about the Forum?

"What I like about this forum in particular is not only the vast array of knowledge and resources that we have at our fingertips, but I also enjoy the banter and sometimes unexpected humor.

This is the best guitar forum I've found" .....Wade Hampton

Exactly......................
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I joined within the first month of the beginning of the Taylor Guitar Forum. It was a small community then. I was just months into ownership of my first Taylor and needed someone to talk to. Over the years this forum has kind of been my collection of fallback guitar friends. It started when this was primarily a place where people could go to to get their questions answered about guitar, gear, and music. I guess I enjoyed helping people find answers to their questions. Sometimes the questions were about a subject I know something about (recording), sometimes my reservoir of trivia contained a pertinent data point, and sometimes I was just better at searching the web than the other person. I just found it gratifying to help when I could so my post count went up. Eventually, after typing up some pretty detailed responses repeatedly I started a little website where I converted some of my answers to articles that I could point people to. At this point with over 250 pages that's out of control. A link is in my sig.

What do I like about the forum? Well, it is a pretty gentle place by comparison to many others. J.R. has insisted on a nice atmosphere and that has affected the entire complexion of the place. To me, this place is a refuge from the anger on the streets. What do I dislike? When someone forgets to wipe his feet on the door mat and brings that anger into this quiet sitting room.

What has changed? Oh, the complexion of the place changes all the time, kind of in a reflection of the attitude of the world at the moment.

Advice? Have you ever seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? The main character, Clark Griswold, is over-the-top about Christmas and sets up an over-the-top family celebration which demands an over-the-top Christmas tree that becomes the apple of his eye. At the peak of festivities everything begins to crumble for Clark and his celebration. Kind of the bottom of his misery is when a guest throws a match into his dry Christmas tree and it literally explodes. In the aftermath, each of his guests looks at the tree and offers an epitaph that matches his personality. Edward G. Robinson plays the grouchy father in law who takes a look at the toasted tree with a very miserable Clark and pronounces, "It was an ugly tree anyway!" My advice is, don't be that guy. When the youngster comes in and gushes about his new guitar, don't be that guy. When the oldster comes in and gushes that he's played his first open mic, don't be that guy. Be the encourager. That and a little fellowship is what most of us come here for anyway.

Long winded. Again.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Besides the opinions of those more experienced than me, I have acquired several guitars from AGF members through the Classifieds that have almost always been nicer than the description and have been associated with uncomplicated transactions.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I'd been playing since, maybe the late '60s, gigging (on guitar) from about '69.

In '83 I was struck down by an immobilising illness and the music stopped for me ... for ten years. When I got some mobility back, I got into photography - a solo activity, so I could manage my pain alone. But did not re-learn to play until 1993. Then I lost my job and was unemployed until '96 when I started "buying guitars" and gigging again.

Made my first solo album in 1999 - at the request of folks from the USA.

Like everyone else, I'd slowly built up my knowledge, but found that even from luthiers I knew, there was a lot of misinformation, and I wanted to "know" about guitars - not to make them, but to understand the different woods, shapes, purposes and sounds.

Made my second album in 2003 whilsrt recovering from a foot op. (Big Toe Tapes).

I'd compiled an impressive library of reference books mainly about Martin and Gibson, but other stuff too. Started to get a good idea abut what it's all about - but not enough local knowledge ...so forums came into my life.

I had to check ....I've been here since May 2006! That was before my heart "event" hit me, and my playing. It was a significant time for me.

I was relatively immobile for some time. stuck at home , working from home, and I guess that's how I got into forums - UMGF, Collings, Mando Cafe, Resoguit, Santa Cruz forum, etc.

I opened my own club in October 2007, and met a whole lot more guitarists, and observed the effect of affluence in the instruments played by many. Gibsons and Martins replaced the Yamahas and Ibanez stuff.

I tend to get up, switch on the desk top - check my e-mails , my bank account, then AGF.

I like to respond to threads if I have something to contribute, and I like to try to help folks if I know about something.

Quite often I like to start up more abstract discussions, and sometimes they work, sometimes they get misinterpreted by one or two, (like with the recent "do people "get" music") - but I like to provoke/promote some lateral thinking from time to time.

Things that cheese me off ...

1. The limits of private messages - I'm always having to delete things people send to me. I'd like to keep therm but you are only allowed ten in, ten out.

2. Some threads get really long and I seriously wonder if anyone reads them after , say the 3rd page.

3. Moderation is necessary, and I'm sure it isn't an easy task, and I see from some other social media how people can run riot - YouTube/Facebook comments can be appalling, but as a Brit I find it very limiting, as we seem to have broader toleration to most stuff, so I've unintentionally broken rules that did not occur to me would offend and been reprimanded from time to time. I don't like it but them's the rules. I grit my teeth, and make mental notes.

4. Having to wait 20,10,5,1 second to re-try. I understand the reason. still cheeses me off.

5. Whilst the majority of members here are in the USA, It concerns me that some seem to forget that this is an international forum, and I confess that I find some aspects of nationalism disturbing.

Lot's more positives though.

I recently told this forum that I have been diagnosed with cancer (that kinda news can bring you down) and I have been very touched by the friendship and support here.

I've learnt a lot of stuff here, and, hopefully have helped a few.

I wouldn't want to be without it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic