The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 AM

The mid-life crisis, for men, often begins in the late 40s and 50s when he attempts to have an affair with a 25-year old. It ends when she hides his teeth as a prank!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 AM

I think I hit mine at like 7 years old, and have been living it every since. I got my first motorcycle at 5, my first convertible at 16, started skydiving at 18, started SCUBA diving at 22, took up golf in college.... all the typical mid life crisis stuff I did early in life. I guess having to give it all up due to my back has lead me to struggle with guitars for my crisis....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
The mid-life crisis, for men, often begins in the late 40s and 50s when he attempts to have an affair with a 25-year old. It ends when she hides his teeth as a prank!
Likewise, you know you're over it when the mere absence of a walker signals potential mate. I hear Depends is bringing out a thong version.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 AM

For me I used to be cool club end at 40 but at 42 I became a new member in I am in the I am still cool sometimes club and at 62 now I am in I was much older then I am younger then that now society.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It starts the day you look around yourself and say, "Is this all I'm ever going to amount to?""

The interim can be chaotic, so walk softly.

It ends the day you say, "You know, this might be enough."

Bob
I think this is very true. Ironically, I had the sports cars, fancy dinners, big vacations, etc when I was younger. Then my wife left and then I realized that maybe I don't need any of that other stuff either. That started when I was 36 and I'll be 43 next week.

I still hate growing old and realizing I'm not going to amount to much. But I'm getting a little better at enjoying the little things in life, so I got that going for me...
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Ten years ago, at age 53, it was time for my midlife crisis: a fast car would have cost too much, plus there's no place around to really open it up; forget about affairs... Who'd want to go through all that trouble? The grass wasn't any greener.

So... I took up guitar!

Best,

Rick
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Those of us who stay slim and keep most of our hair are in most danger, I suspect. Even though we look like our dads in shop windows, we still cut a dash in the bathroom mirror!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 AM

I don't have a good answer but now I under stand what they mean by biological clock ticking.
  1. Every mountain bike ride has to have some air time, and of course they have to happen as often as possible because the window for doing it is getting short.
  2. Your skiing has to have air time too, and you have to be parked in first row.

My wife is as obsessed but not a skier.

Midlife crisis has not meant stuff like buy a particular car or the new car theory for wives. Maybe the opposite. I've gone from fancier cars to sports toys and working at wearing them out. It's coming up on 28 years and I'm still crazy in love with my wife.

Our kids didn't get it, but on leave, some recent good days with sport, food and family had me think just make my departure fast and easy on others. Then have a party and point out that he had fun.

The crisis will be when I can't be the adventurous and curious person I've been most of my life. When someone might have to take care of me. The mid life crisis will probably be when I know I'm through a one way door into old age.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM

I got my mid-life crisis out of my system before I was thirty.
Hot rods, motorcycles, booze etc...

Ah, the memories
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
The crisis will be when I can't be the adventurous and curious person I've been most of my life. When someone might have to take care of me. The mid life crisis will probably be when I know I'm through a one way door into old age.
I think if we do have a crisis, it's not the event of increasing decrepitude that causes it, but our reaction to that decline.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM

I think I'm going through a little bit of this...you know...coming to terms with my own mortality. I started my crisis when I turned 41 in November 2015. I weighed well over 300 lbs, and I took a good look around me and I noticed I didn't see a lot of 300-pound 50-year olds. Thus began my midlife crisis:
  • I've not had a soda of any kind since Jan. 3, 2016 (well, I had one ginger ale in March of 2016).
  • This past August at 330 lbs., I went on a pretty strict smoothie diet and lost 25 lbs between that and Christmas.
  • On Dec. 30, 2016, I gave up sweet tea.
  • Sometime at the beginning of January 2017, I gave up as many carbs as I can stand. I'm doing well with it. I've dropped 10 more pounds.
  • Two weeks ago today, I joined a local gym and started lifting as heavy as I can handle for 45 minutes, then I end with 10-15 min. of cardio. I've lost about 2-3 lbs since then, but my waist is shrinking while my arms and chest are growing and getting more defined. My clothes are getting bigger around the waist, but they are shrinking around the chest. It's a good feeling. I started at 330, and now I'm down between 295 to 290 depending on the day. I don't have backaches anymore, and my wife is starting to get really flirty with me again.

In short, I couldn't afford a sports car, and my wife is way too cute to cheat on (she also knows her way around a handgun too). So instead of all of the stereotypical stuff, I started taking better care of myself. I want to be around as long as I can for my family, and I'm tired of wearing 3XL clothes. I'm starting to get down into my 2XL stuff now which I've not been able to wear in about 10 years or so. I've never been a little guy, and I probably never will be, but I'm going to get as physically strong as I possibly, and legally can. I'm having a really great time doing it, and I love having a 24-hour gym just a 6-minute drive away from the house.

Now if I can just keep from checking the local obits every day and taking note of their ages...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Never had one, or actually maybe always had one. The things and lifestyles commonly considered a MLC, have always just been the norm. If that's a crisis, I hope it never ends.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Ha Ha, maybe i can avoid mid life crisis by dying early,

H
Oh please do, be my guest
Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
or when I finally buy a convertible.
And gold chains around your neck.
If you are going bald then you need to add a ponytail.

I read a study once that our brains stop age realization around 32 years old.
We become trapped in this ever aging body.
We never see ourselves as old as others see us.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I believe mid life crisis starts when you are about 35 years old, have never ridden as much as a motorized lawnmower, and you go out and by yourself a Harley. Mid life crisis ends, if you escape your Harley ownership with your life or at least you cognitive ability intact, when you sell the Harley and buy a mini van. It's really all very predictable. As the Bible says somewhere: "There is nothing new under the sun." Indeed.
That would be the last statement in Ecclesiastes 1:9. I'm glad to have avoided the Harley stage and to have achieved full blown GAS in my 60's!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic