The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default SOME recruiters are worse than used car salesmen

So sick of dealing with low-performance people trying to fill high performance jobs.

And if you are on the placement end, they treat you like royalty until you say "no" then you become scum because they lost tens of thousands of dollars in commission.

Absolute business-world parasites that add no value to the economy - wish they would die an Internet driven demise but they're like cockroaches and won't go away.

I've had such bad luck with this field.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 02-16-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
So sick of dealing with low-performance people trying to fill high performance jobs.

And if you are on the placement end, they treat you like royalty until you say "no" then you become scum because they lost tens of thousands of dollars in commission.

Absolute business-world parasites that add no value to the economy - wish they would die an Internet driven demise but they're like cockroaches and won't go away.
Ya but how do ya really feel

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM

I once had a lovely experience with a recruiter until he passed me along to the next guy who said, "When I say jump....you're gonna say how high!" That was a bit disconcerting.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 PM

How long do you string them along and then tell them what you knew long ago ?
And you think that they are wasting your time .
Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Having just read the thread about brand bashing. I'm wondering if this is more of the same? Would you care to elaborate? What is it that you find parasitic about them? Are they trying to recruit you? Or are you trying to emply them?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Software engineering, especially embedded Linux has been a hot market in my area for years. Maybe that is why I am treated quite well by the recruiters I choose to work with. Whatever the case, my experience is that there are "the good guys", and there are the rest, as with most everything. Once I learned who the good guys were my experience has been positive. Maybe it is a bit different in the professions? Just a guess, since I can't honestly say I know what folks here do for a living.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Recruiters are akin to pedaling flesh, but if you know how to use them, you can use them to your advantage. You can't be a desperate job seeker, that's the type they feed on,

H
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I've been around this block 31 years and this is nothing new...

As an employer, they are ineffective at finding good candidates, charge tens of thousands of dollars for services I can get on the internet.

Then I get recruiters constantly who sign up for my business , then try to recruit my employees away to somewhere else then charge me to replace them. Total lack of ethics and, this is the rule not the exception. I am constantly firing recruiters.

Then, when you are a candidate they treat you like royalty. It reminds me of stories of unscrupulous record execs taking advantage of naive artists telling them "you're gonna be a star kid". Then if you don't take a job, for legit reasons, suddenly you're untouchable and an outcast to those same people.

Nothing but a meat market.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been around this block 31 years and this is nothing new...

As an employer, they are ineffective at finding good candidates, charge tens of thousands of dollars for services I can get on the internet.

Then I get recruiters constantly who sign up for my business , then try to recruit my employees away to somewhere else then charge me to replace them. Total lack of ethics and, this is the rule not the exception. I am constantly firing recruiters.

Then, when you are a candidate they treat you like royalty. It reminds me of stories of unscrupulous record execs taking advantage of naive artists telling them "you're gonna be a star kid". Then if you don't take a job, for legit reasons, suddenly you're untouchable and an outcast to those same people.

Nothing but a meat market.
Yes, it ultimately does come down to that. If you as a contractor or potential employee have nothing that the recruiter can sell, s/he won't have anything to do with you. On the employer side, the companies I have worked for seem to have working relationships with specific recruiters and only those, so that dealing with them was not difficult. They were pretty much like any other vendor, except that they are moving "meat" instead of silicon.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Death to all post-holers! Sorry to hijack the thread, just figured this one didn't need it's own.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Death to all post-holers! Sorry to hijack the thread, just figured this one didn't need it's own.
OK that actually made me smile and brightened my mood (which desperately needed it )

Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance. Are these "Recruiters" trying to provide you with employees, or are they offering you more money / benefits - If you will use their services to seek some other employment?

Why do you deal with a bunch of people whom you revile, regardless of what kind of service they offer? Are they unsolicited callers, sort of like door to door evangelists, pitching their religion, or what?

Don
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
As one that has been in the fence industry for quite some time I am compelled to ask the meaning of your post-holer reference .
It is likely some narrow scoped and small minded insult , but I really do want to be sure .
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 AM

I'm a corporate recruiter. I hire drug development physicians and executives for a biotech company. Sorry you apparently had bad experiences with some recruiters but you might consider your words before you condemn all recruiters.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Come on folks, there's no need for all this. Lets keep it simple and pick on the lawyers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic