The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2017, 01:30 AM

I basically just come here and to the play sub forum.

The main forum can get quite tedious but here we're always discussing new things.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 AM

In a related note:
A musician that plays in my small group sent me an email yesterday with this quote buried in the content, "I have been thinking about getting a carbon guitar. Tired of having to make constant adjustments on my Martin."
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Since NAMM, there has been a lot of activity on this sub-forum. Informative, entertaining... nice seeing all the interest!
I think we can thank Kramsters NAMM coverage for this. As you may have noticed, this section has become dominated by Emerald of late, pushing conversation about the brands that represent 95% of carbon fiber guitars sales in the US to the back. Kramsters posts about the builders from NAMM brought those other brands back to the forefront, if only briefly, and it definitely increased interest in this section. Hopefully representatives from those other brands, and owners of the guitars will chime in more often in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Perhaps we can convince Ted to set up an Arizona branch of his enterprise, to plant the carbon guitar flag where it's truly needed. While he's at it, I would love his shop in my neck of Wisconsin. It may not have beaches, great weather, movie stars and sunshine - but we do have...hmmm, um, well...we got snow. Clouds and cold too. Oh yes, and cheese! Lots of that, and beer. And how 'bout them Packers!

On second thought, perhaps he should stay in LA and AZ...
While it's not likely I'll be leaving sunny SoCal anytime time soon, I am told that dealers are contacting Rainsong in record numbers, so it may not be long before a dealer near you gets a clue and starts stocking them.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hopefully representatives from those other brands, and owners of the guitars will chime in more often in the future.
As an enthusiastic Rainsong owner I think this would be very cool and a win-win. I am always attuned to posts from Sean and Alistair and consider their presence here an asset to all of us. I don't own an Emerald instrument yet, but honestly their input and attention to our comments and suggestions here are what got me interested in CF guitars in the first place and are among the reasons I'm so interested in Emerald.
Pisgah Woodchuck open back banjo
A few parts built Telecasters
Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele
Fessenden D10 Pedal steel
1954 National lap steel
George Boards Weissenborn clone
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Guest 928

Attention to the various makers seems cyclic. On the old McNichol forum there was a time when it seemed like CA was the main game in town. Rainsong has moved in and out of major attention with its many game-changing instruments, materials, and colorations. Emerald has been moving through a period of incredible creativity and been receiving a lot of attention. The new cf maker on the street, Journey, has already had a number of attention-getting moments.

I think all of the above is good. The makers are playing off of one another, inspiring one another to what are exhilarating explorations of materials, styles, and models. That the makers can meet on common ground, shake hands, smile, and enjoy one another's company is a sign of professional appreciation of one another's contributions to the art and science of luthery.

And I like it.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Attention to the various makers seems cyclic. On the old McNichol forum there was a time when it seemed like CA was the main game in town. Rainsong has moved in and out of major attention with its many game-changing instruments, materials, and colorations. Emerald has been moving through a period of incredible creativity and been receiving a lot of attention. The new cf maker on the street, Journey, has already had a number of attention-getting moments.

I think all of the above is good. The makers are playing off of one another, inspiring one another to what are exhilarating explorations of materials, styles, and models. That the makers can meet on common ground, shake hands, smile, and enjoy one another's company is a sign of professional appreciation of one another's contributions to the art and science of luthery.

And I like it.
So do I. Observant and well-stated post, Evan.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Default CF forum...

...has ben good for me. Checking out opinions and input regarding CF. Living in northern Sweden dry is the name of the game fr.o.m. Oktober until may. Reading and checking out posts here convinced me so I have an artisan Woody with tear drop mahongany on order. I'll try the neck shiny first and then maybe satinize IT IF I don' like the feel. 2 1/2 months waiting so far and worth it I believe.
It's better for us swedes to buy within Europe since we have a high sales tax that makes guitars rather expensive over here. The sales tax in Ireland is more favorable for us
Refilling the room humidifier gets to be A drag and I like having guitars out and not locket up in their cases.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
...has ben good for me. Checking out opinions and input regarding CF. Living in northern Sweden dry is the name of the game fr.o.m. Oktober until may. Reading and checking out posts here convinced me so I have an artisan Woody with tear drop mahongany on order. I'll try the neck shiny first and then maybe satinize IT IF I don' like the feel. 2 1/2 months waiting so far and worth it I believe.
It's better for us swedes to buy within Europe since we have a high sales tax that makes guitars rather expensive over here. The sales tax in Ireland is more favorable for us
Refilling the room humidifier gets to be A drag and I like having guitars out and not locket up in their cases.
Ken, which model have you ordered? You have me curious as to what "tear drop mahogany" looks like...especially on a finished top. Any pics, either in the raw, or finished?

It seems that Alistair is venturing into wood veneers that we're not familiar with. The Emerald website indicates that the range of wood veneers will be photographed and posted there for viewing/selection (this will be real cool), but it hasn't yet been done. Emerald could catch even more attention if prospective customers could lust over the full range of woods in their stash.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ken, which model have you ordered? You have me curious as to what "tear drop mahogany" looks like...especially on a finished top. Any pics, either in the raw, or finished?

It seems that Alistair is venturing into wood veneers that we're not familiar with. The Emerald website indicates that the range of wood veneers will be photographed and posted there for viewing/selection (this will be real cool), but it hasn't yet been done. Emerald could catch even more attention if prospective customers could lust over the full range of woods in their stash.
I've ordered an X20 six string. Unfortunately the pictures of the veneer are on another computer. If you look up plumpudding mahogany it's quite similar I believe.
I'll get some pics up when I receive the guitar.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
I've ordered an X20 six string. Unfortunately the pictures of the veneer are on another computer. If you look up plumpudding mahogany it's quite similar I believe.
I'll get some pics up when I receive the guitar.
I looked up Plum pudding mahogany and it appears like a more amber color quilted maple, which I'm sure can be striking. Here's a pic of a piece I found, though being from a 125 year old tree, it might be an exquisite example.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Emerald is absolutely killing it with their gorgeous veneers! I know some do not prefer them, but I love them! I'm just over 3 months on my wait, and now my excitement is really cranking up! I've got an X12-20 woody yhat I'm waiting for...can't wait! Speaking of which, how about their select series for Feb? Practically sold out in a day! Beautiful!

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Emerald could catch even more attention if prospective customers could lust over the full range of woods in their stash.
Masterful understatement
Pisgah Woodchuck open back banjo
A few parts built Telecasters
Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele
Fessenden D10 Pedal steel
1954 National lap steel
George Boards Weissenborn clone
Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The Emerald website indicates that the range of wood veneers will be photographed and posted there for viewing/selection (this will be real cool), but it hasn't yet been done. Emerald could catch even more attention if prospective customers could lust over the full range of woods in their stash.
Over the past few years I have been building up quite a collection of unique veneers. I basically search the world over for the most unique pieces available.
We have recently cataloged everything and even created mock up images of them on guitars but Im just waiting on my developer to complete the pages for the site.
I recently did a Facebook live video showing our setup room and our veneer storage. About half way through I show my various select pieces.
You can view it here https://www.facebook.com/emeraldguit...1320362884143/
The strength of carbon and the beauty of nature! a powerful combination
Alistair
Old 02-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Great video Alistair, nice to see the behind the scenes. Makes me appreciate the quilted maple you did on my X10 even more!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:35 AM

Alistair...
Very informative and interesting video, I really enjoyed it.
I hope you can find the time to film more. Can't wait.
thank you.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 02-05-2017 at 08:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber