The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Heard BI on Snl last night. Thought they had a great sound.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
All very talented musicians, even by AGF standards.

Bel isi,
-kyle
Oh, that is perfect. Right on.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that you never see Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Coldplay's Chris Martin together in the same room? Just sayin'.....

Seriously, though, I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like the instrumentation, but Vernon's vocal style is affected and at times truly annoying. And I can't make out even half the lyrics--he's the mumbliest lead singer since Desmond Dekker ("The Israelite"). He makes Tom Waits sound like an elocution instructor.

The Civil Wars, The Decembrists I get---but why this guy is up for Best New Artist (even though he's been semi-famous for a couple of years), Record of the Year and Song of the Year mystifies me.

Or maybe I'm just feeling especially curmudgeonly tonight.
I think the operative word here is 'Art'. Whether it holds up judged against any stylistic baseline, or endures, isn't really the issue for me. JV's stuff is honest, uncontrived expression which seems to have found its moment in the sun. I'm glad that I'm allowing myself to like it :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 AM

It's not just you, Sandy. A friend of mine commented on Facebook yesterday about the mumbliness of Bon Iver's singer, having watched them on SNL.

This past Saturday, my son and I were very fortunate to catch The Civil Wars in their first SoFla appearance... which will surely be their last club show around here!! Sardine-ville it was!! But; a fantastic and electric performance. We came home, and I slumped onto the couch for a bit of SNL before crawling to bed. I cracked an eye to wonder what the dude was singing

On the whole, I think I got the best part of a Saturday's entertainment choices
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I can make out 3/4 of Mayer's lyrics; but Vernon sounds like he's merely yawning on pitch.
Then never having heard him (or of him) you've convinced me I have no interest in doing so.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Those who stopped listening to popular music since 1975, check out Kathleen Edwards, the Decembrists, the Civil Wars, Lucinda Williams, and the current crop of NON-navel-gazing acoustic singer-songwriters (including some who've thrown a bit of electric guitar into the mix) who write interesting lyrics that are neither marshmallow fluff nor soul-baring TMI.
All excellent artists, Kathleen rocks. I'd add Amos Lee to that list.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
All excellent artists, Kathleen rocks. I'd add Amos Lee to that list.
Add Anais Mitchell, Vance Gilbert, John McCutcheon (both established folk stars but still underappreciated), the Gordons, Small Potatoes, the Twangtown Paramours, Joe Jencks (and his trio Brother Sun)....

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM

I saw them on Saturday Night Live. Loved their instrumentation and the style of their music. Didn't like the sound of the constant falsetto (sp?). Don't really care whether the lyrics make sense (actually like the notion of creating syllables that sound good together). I used to listen to Steely Dan and I have no idea what they were singing about either. I mean I could understand their words, but then again there was not much "deep" content.

That falsetto drove me nuts though!

f-d
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that you never see Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Coldplay's Chris Martin together in the same room? Just sayin'.....

Seriously, though, I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like the instrumentation, but Vernon's vocal style is affected and at times truly annoying. And I can't make out even half the lyrics--he's the mumbliest lead singer since Desmond Dekker ("The Israelite"). He makes Tom Waits sound like an elocution instructor.

The Civil Wars, The Decembrists I get---but why this guy is up for Best New Artist (even though he's been semi-famous for a couple of years), Record of the Year and Song of the Year mystifies me.

Or maybe I'm just feeling especially curmudgeonly tonight.
My boss introduced me to Bon Iver a few months ago, and a good buddy at work likes him a lot as well.

I don't get it either. Just nothing about it made me want to listen again. I'm going to have another listen now, 'cause these guys are usually pretty keen on what's good in the up and coming thing. Maybe I was just in a bad mood.

UPDATE: 5 seconds in and I find the vocals annoying. Whatever works for folks, but it's not for me. Agree with you Sandy, the instrumentation is good, but his voice bugs.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Oldish thread but i thought i'd comment because i have started to realize that everybody has the right to listen to, and like whatever music they want to! Its impossible for us all to agree. We all look for different things from music. I hate really deep folk music that is full of messages with little melody. I love loud music like the black keys (old black keys, not this new they have put out) that is great to just rock out to, and I like Bon Iver alot! I just think of it as instrumental music really! He is using his voice like another instrument and really isn't thinking about getting a message across or being a good singer (everyone has their own thoughts on what makes a good singer!). Everyone is different and music like this either floats your boat or it doesn't! I can understand people not liking the tone of his voice (falsetto isn't everyones cup of tea) but i dont care that i cant understand his lyrics.. Does nobody here listen to music that is sung in a different language??? opera???

Last edited by kscobie8; 10-19-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: no swearing, including the use of symbols

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic