The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Completely disagree on the Loar--the 600 and 700 are very much the "real deal" when it comes to swing rhythm (and much better at it than any Eastman)
When I was on my search for a budget archtop, among the few I got to try, I found the Eastman a sweeter, richer sound than the Loar, but it wasn't the dry, choppy sound I was after to add to my guitar collection's "pallette" - for want of a better word. If I was only allowed one guitar, I'd prefer the Eastman to the Loar, probably - but I liked the the sound the Loar adds to my current collection of instruments, if that makes sense.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 AM

I find myself wanting an archtop for a current project, and I'm bucks-down right now. I had an old Silvertone lying around in storage, so I've got it on the bench in pieces for a reset, adding a modern adjustable rod, refret, better tuners, etc. It appears to be all solid birch.

It'll be interesting to see if I end up with anything when I'm done...
Old 02-21-2017, 06:07 AM

Most of the Silvertone guitars were Harmony's, and some were quite high end. Could be a good one. Their electric's are now collectors items, going up in value. For example: http://www.12fret.com/2015/04/08/1955-silvertone-s1384/

Brian

Last edited by MC5C; 02-21-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf91 View Post
I find myself wanting an archtop for a current project, and I'm bucks-down right now. I had an old Silvertone lying around in storage, so I've got it on the bench in pieces for a reset, adding a modern adjustable rod, refret, better tuners, etc. It appears to be all solid birch.

Those old budget archtops sound really cool if you get them playing good. They don't bark when you chop swing chords, but they have a good midrangey tone that works well for aggressive fingerstyle blues.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
When I was on my search for a budget archtop, among the few I got to try, I found the Eastman a sweeter, richer sound than the Loar, but it wasn't the dry, choppy sound I was after to add to my guitar collection's "pallette" - for want of a better word. If I was only allowed one guitar, I'd prefer the Eastman to the Loar, probably - but I liked the the sound the Loar adds to my current collection of instruments, if that makes sense.
Totally. I'd say the Eastman is a more versatile sound. But the old school niche is the Loar's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-09-2017, 12:04 PM

I bought a Gretsch Synchromatic g100ce a couple of years ago, just because I wanted an archtop and I had a few hundred in GC gift cards laying around. I didn't have very high expectations, with a street price tag of about $700. I've got to say, I love that guitar. I play in a little acoustic trio and it is now my main guitar for outdoor, and larger indoor shows. I run it through an old Sans Amp EQ, a Boss Compression box, and into the P.A. It is an articulate guitar and cuts through the mix nicely. I will say that it took me a while to find the right strings. I tried the flats that it came with, and DR Zebras before finally settling on GHS White Bronze. They sound good both plugged and unplugged.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf91 View Post

There's absolutely no need to add an adjustable rod to one of these. The necks are huge, and they are made of old wood that is done warping. Save yourself some time and just level the fingerboard so it shows proper relief under string tension, and I promise it will stay like that forever.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
There's absolutely no need to add an adjustable rod to one of these. The necks are huge, and they are made of old wood that is done warping. Save yourself some time and just level the fingerboard so it shows proper relief under string tension, and I promise it will stay like that forever.
I don't put a lot of faith in those old poplar necks, or the smallish rod they employed. Several of the flat tops I've done(very similar necks) are so warped that the steel reinforcements are actually bent. By resetting the board AND adding an adjustable rod, I've done about all I can to make it straight and keep it that way plus I can dial in my relief to account for string differences, seasons, etc.

For +/- $20 and some of my time I'll take the adjustable rod, thanks.

The guitar turned out to be a laminated model-it was a little hard to see the layers and I didn't care enough to do a full autopsy. Doesn't bother me-I knew I wasn't gonna end up with a Stromberg either way. It was cheap, and it will serve it's purpose for now. Honestly, it's louder than I thought it would be although certainly not complex sounding.

It'll give me an opportunity to see if I can justify upgrading it, usage-wise.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:57 PM

If you can find a Carlo Robelli D-120 "Manhattan" for a good price, grab it! It is still being made in the same factory, but with the name "Peerless Monarch" on the headstock for a heck of a lot more money. I stumbled upon one at a Tampa Sam Ash and picked it up for $400 a few months ago. An absolute steal if you can find one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM

It's exactly like this except for the name on the headstock: http://guitarsnjazz.com/product/peerless-monarch/

Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
If you can find a Carlo Robelli D-120 "Manhattan" for a good price, grab it! It is still being made in the same factory, but with the name "Peerless Monarch" on the headstock for a heck of a lot more money. I stumbled upon one at a Tampa Sam Ash and picked it up for $400 a few months ago. An absolute steal if you can find one!

Thanks for this. There have been positive remarks given on the Robelli D -120 Manhattan on other forums too. Not many (like......none) to be found in shops in my locality. The very few that are for sale are online only and realistically too far to travel to have a play on them. I don't like buying guitars online unfortunately.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 AM

I just picked up this 1967 Guild A50 for $850 and I'm loving it.

There's a 1955 A50 on REVERB right now for $899. It looks a bit rough, but it goes to show you can find these for under a grand.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post

Here's a nice looking Robelli for $300.00. It's not the same model that you mentioned but the price seems pretty good.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/6100539335.html
Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 PM

I actually have one of those too. Also an excellent guitar. This particular one is a very nice laminate rather than solid wood like the Manhattan. The thing is that the Carlo Robelli guitars are the Sam Ash house brand, and they are all rebranded instruments. In the early days of the brand, evidently somebody thought this line was going to contain some really nice jazz boxes. Now it is a discount house brand, but that has nothing to do with these early jazz boxes. Yeah, if you're in Chicago, I would snap that one up!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 07:02 AM

Some nice chunky rhythm playing going on here from the 'cheap' Loar LH-300. Love the LH350 electric too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjAN07cH1c
And here's the more expensive LH600:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmG_PS61u14

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops