The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Fruit themed computing...

Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
There is no problem with accessing the raw data across platforms, or even, for that fact across various products. It, as I said, is some of the more esoteric functions that are not portable. I have yet to find a suitable method whereby I could convince a Mac to run MS Access and all the background code that I have spent years developing to run natively. FWIW I also have some highly coded Word and Excel documents that I'm not convinced would port straight across without extensive re-coding. I don't have ready access to a mac so cannot confirm this at the moment. I did Attempt to to port to one of the open office variants at one stage and found that I'd be spending another few months re-coding so decided to spend my penny with Billy for a little while longer.

I forgot to reply to iTunes; You may be right, there, but I never found it. Why could it not just accept that I've got my music stored "here" and in "this manner" and work with that. After I went looking to see where all of my disk space had gone (My music resides on a separate drive) I found that iTunes had duplicated everything into it's own directory structure.
You're blaming your user error as a fault for the whole platform. You made a wrong decision where setup or an import asks or shows options on managing your files.

Your problem and not really knowing where your files are occurs with other products and platforms. I noticed many stopped getting in a mess when the automatic file management was done by default just like the push and automation solve problems across platforms.

Any Mac computer made for several years is an Intel type personal computer. You need appropriate software licensing and installation, but I can't find anything they won't do that my Windows only type PCs can't do. It's worked out to be the absolute best platform for my having to bridge modern and old.

The only criticism I could possibly put against the setup I use that's same for quite a few associates is it not being dirt cheap but this is work tools. For non-professionals it's premium product and support and that costs more in all realms.

I doubt you'll see Microsoft Access ever expand or do too much more because we're in a world where so much is server-side. It's almost by the week or month where I see Microsoft roll out more and more tools to do what was done with Access, FoxPro and Crystal Reports. Look at the user growth for Azure and 365 to see where that's coming from.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Sorry, I don't understand. Not liking Microsoft but using their products is one thing, but also the part about Microsoft Office. Excel, Outlook, and Word are the same as is the data across the different platforms.
Ah, I should have wrtten more quickly - it is the enormous amount of files , outlook emails, word.docs, excel sheets, pics, images, etc., etc., that I worry about ....oh plus I-Tunes (Apple but always being updated to make it less useable).
Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ah, I should have wrtten more quickly - it is the enormous amount of files , outlook emails, word.docs, excel sheets, pics, images, etc., etc., that I worry about ....oh plus I-Tunes (Apple but always being updated to make it less useable).
It's been years since I switched, but Apple includes several migration utilities ... Outlook to Mail for example. Any MS-Office files can easily be read by the FREE Apache Open Office suite. Images are images, and aren't system specific. It's really not as bad you think. It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't include such migration utilities (i.e.; OSX to Win10) with their systems ...

Last edited by RustyAxe; 02-19-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
It's been a years since I switched, but Apple includes several migration utilities ... Outlook to Mail for example. Any MS-Office files can easily be read by the FREE Apache Open Office suite. Images are images, and aren't system specific. It's really not as bad you think. It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't include such migration utilities (i.e.; OSX to Win10) with their systems ...
For all practical purposes Office is Office 365 now. It's actually work when I still buy a stand alone copy and it's activated like Office 365.

If your files do not have illegal character names and are copied to OneDrive you've solved all of cross-platform, export, import and compatibility with any of your 5 instances of installing the apps.

There are utilities, help and lessons for less common scenarios.

All Office 365 support is good and any of the upper tiers (business, pro, enterprise) have their call you in 10 minutes support.

For most of the past year their improvements for Apple clients has seemed ahead of Android. Many don't realize how much how iPhone and iPad market share and Mac growth have made them enterprise products. Non-enterprise customers benefit from that.

Many stereotype Microsoft and Apple from times past, and for Microsoft don't know how much change has occurred since the current CEO has been in action.

It's good that you pointed out other suites. Not everyone will pay for a Microsoft Subscription. Not everyone likes as tied to cloud as Google is. Also, not too many used the suite Apple gives you. Some associates use the open source suites and Apple's and then export or import file types.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM

nothing in the tech world is simple unless you are young.

i've used both apple and pc computers. figured out the apple stuff easily and never could figure out the pc stuff as everything seemed to be hidden. i am new to the iphone and am trying to get it all figured out but shouldn't be long.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
iPad runs a mobile operating system that won't have all the same functionality of a desktop operating system like Windows. If you are looking for feature parity with Windows on an Apple machine you should look into a MacBook that runs macOS.
I agree with Jeremy. We have an IMac in our office/den space and I used an Ipad for mobile purposes. But once I got a MacBook Pro I found less reason to use the Ipad. Don't use the IMac either now, for that matter, though my husband still uses it. I liked the Ipad, it was in many ways a magical object. But the MBP is a fully functioning computer, with the excellent Mac OS, Sierra, currently, and it's not much bigger than an Ipad.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM

I'm an old buzzard. I started programming in C for Bell Labs on Unix, moved through C++ on various disk-less OS's, over to Java on Windows, then C# on Windows and now I'm out.

MS Windows was unbelievably brain dead for many many years. If they'd simply used the paging, multi-user, memory management kinds of solutions that had become well-worn and incredibly well tested... yeah, water under the bridge. But... they ended up in an "office user" model of files and directories and general user interface paradigms that to me is more sane.

I now enjoy using Macs and Windows PC's. Perhaps it's just my old brain, but I'm constantly asking myself "why in the bloody hell did Apple do it this way"?

The funny thing is that below the hood, the Apple OS now looks extremely like one of the dozens of mature versions of Unix.

Then there's the iPad. Yeesh, don't me started. I hope in the coming years that this awful OS is finally just scrapped and redone from the ground up.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM

If you watch the way little kids do it - they just start fooling with everything. Touching and moving and swiping this and that. If it's got an icon - they fool with it.

The trick is to fool around and see what it does rather than trying to make it do what you think it should do.

But I agree with your sentiments. I grew up on a Mac and love them... But they have changed everything on the mac since then. It's very frustrating to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic