The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Default necks, and a tone question

Never played one. One of the hassles of acoustics (to me) is the gradual bowing of the neck over time, do you/don't you seek a refit or put up with higher action. How stable are their necks (and are the necks graphite also, or wood with the same problem )?

Crazy question - do some of these almost sound like archtops, with the bite and cut tone? Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to have any neck problems.

My guitar sounds like a flat top guitar, and sounds **** good too.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 02-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryJ View Post
Never played one. One of the hassles of acoustics (to me) is the gradual bowing of the neck over time, do you/don't you seek a refit or put up with higher action. How stable are their necks (and are the necks graphite also, or wood with the same problem )?

Crazy question - do some of these almost sound like archtops, with the bite and cut tone? Thanks!
There are a couple of builders who have made CF archtops. I think one was a company and the other an individual who made his own.

Maybe others recall more regarding archtops and can add some info.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Guest 928

You very rarely hear of a neck problem with CF guitars. My early Emerald guitars had hollow necks with no truss rod--and never gave me a problem. My impression is that most cf instruments now come with truss rods, not because they seem needed but because they make setting up the action easier. Very few CF guitars have wooden necks--on of the reasons the guitars are so maintenance free.

As AC noted, there have been some Archtops that have shown up in the past. I believe that there is one made by an Israeli company. Others on this forum will probably have more information.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 PM

^^ What Evan said. If the neck comes out of the mold straight, it will remain straight for life. I have a Rainsong WS-1000 made in 2001 with a CF neck and no truss rod. The neck has never moved perceptibly, and I don't expect that it ever will. I tune up and down regularly and also use medium gauge strings at times, and have never felt the need for a truss rod to adjust relief.

The only neck problems I've ever heard of was with the original Composite Acoustics company during their last year or two of production, before Peavey took over. Some of the necks were not set at the proper angle, but that had nothing to do with bow or twist in the neck itself.

As for tone, my CF's sound like flat top guitars, because they are. The tone is a little different from wood, but much more similar than different. Definitely not "archtop" in character.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM

The neck on my Rainsong seems solid as a rock. And, that's the guitar I take to extreme weather locations (desert, mountains, etc.).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber