The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Taylor 314ce vs 316ce

I love them both. Which one would you choose if you could just have one and why?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM

The 316, I am in love with that body shape. It just fits my playing like a glove.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
The 316, I am in love with that body shape. It just fits my playing like a glove.
I'm not a real big guy, and was a little worried about the GS verses the GA shape. I suppose it's not THAT much different.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM

No it really isn't but to me the sound of the GS is just so much more complete. In my opinion it's the best shape taylor makes.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
No it really isn't but to me the sound of the GS is just so much more complete. In my opinion it's the best shape taylor makes.
Agree. The GS has a very balanced tone.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
Agree. The GS has a very balanced tone.
Disagree. The GA is far more balanced, the GS is bass heavy. The GS is good if you want to go busking and need a loud guitar. The GA is better if you want one that will be pleasing to your ear when you strum a single chord and want to hear every note shimmer out at the right levels. Just my opinion, having owned both.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Whippersnapper

GS, any day. I've owned my 716ce for a couple of years now, and every GA I play just sounds like it's lacking something in the tone compared to its GS equivalent. The GS, to me, is a more versatile shape, as it covers fingerstyle very well and seems to outperform the GA for strumming. I also find the tone to be very balanced.

Not that it matters, but I believe even Bob Taylor himself has said the GS is his favorite original shape.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM

I bought my 314ce 5 years ago, before the 316ce was available. If I were to buy today, I'm not sure if I'd get the 314 or the 316 - probably the 316 for the extra bass / "omph" (great technical term).

One thing to consider is that the GS comes stock with mediums whereas the GA comes with lights. Medium strings do bother my fingers more than lights when I play over an extended period of time.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I bought my 314ce 5 years ago, before the 316ce was available. If I were to buy today, I'm not sure if I'd get the 314 or the 316 - probably the 316 for the extra bass / "omph" (great technical term).
Actually in my experience if you want 'omph' then you get a 310ce. The GS is louder, but it doesn't have as much bass thump as a DN.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Actually in my experience if you want 'omph' then you get a 310ce. The GS is louder, but it doesn't have as much bass thump as a DN.
Maybe if one only wants "omph." If one wants the balance of a GA with a little more "omph", I think the GS is a good choice.

Last edited by Jeremy; 07-04-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Maybe if one only wants "omph." If one wants the balance of a GA with a little more "omph", I think the GS is a good choice.
In that case, I don't think they're going to get more 'omph'. They will get louder volume with the GS, but no 'omph'.

You will get a louder bass E string, but it won't be balanced with the other strings.

On a DN, you will get louder bass E, bass A and mid D strings, and quieter mid G, quieter high B and high E.

With a GS, you get a louder bass E, which is out of balance with the quieter bass A, mid D, mid G, and louder high B and high E. From what I hear.

By 'omph' I presume you mean the bass thump.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 PM

I have owned both and would take the 316ce over the 314ce which is why i bought the 316ce. I guess different people hear different things. It's just what you prefer. Just as a comparison I recorded a comparison of my 316ce and my custom built Schenk dread. The Schenk is Adi over Sapele. You can make a judgement for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZmnqFpMrKA
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Disagree. The GA is far more balanced, the GS is bass heavy. The GS is good if you want to go busking and need a loud guitar. The GA is better if you want one that will be pleasing to your ear when you strum a single chord and want to hear every note shimmer out at the right levels. Just my opinion, having owned both.
I guess we hear things differently...the GA has weak bass response for strumming but sounds fine for fingerpicking. The GS is more balanced overall and sounds much better when strummed compared to the GA.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
I guess we hear things differently...the GA has weak bass response for strumming but sounds fine for fingerpicking. The GS is more balanced overall and sounds much better when strummed compared to the GA.
Agreed!!!
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
GS, any day. I've owned my 716ce for a couple of years now, and every GA I play just sounds like it's lacking something in the tone compared to its GS equivalent. The GS, to me, is a more versatile shape, as it covers fingerstyle very well and seems to outperform the GA for strumming. I also find the tone to be very balanced.

Not that it matters, but I believe even Bob Taylor himself has said the GS is his favorite original shape.

Bel isi,
-kyle

+1 Kyle I agree. Although I don't own a Taylor, however this town is loaded with them and over the years I've played dozens of them. I too found the newer GS very comfortable, more versitile and tonally balanced for my f/s pickless attack. They have more body and depth to them now, whereas before I found too much emphasis on the upper register & thin in my hands/ears, tho in other folks hands they sometimes sounded nice. Now they are just right and I think Bob hit a real winner here in adding a new voice to his lineup. I love the sound of yours Kyle.

As I 've posted before, if I didn't have my lovely threesome, I would enjoy a GS5 BTO in an amberburst with pipeline fretboard inlays!

noledog

Last edited by noledog; 07-04-2012 at 06:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion