The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2016, 07:26 PM

Default what's your favourite wireless speaker?

i went to bestbuy yesterday, and looked and their micro/mini stereo systems. they had 1. lol. and 1 boombox. those days are gone, i guess.

i also checked out their wireless speakers - they had about 50, maybe more, many with super cool display stations to audition them. i was quite impressed by the fugoo tough, which put out a ton of bass for it's little size. it was pretty heavy, and not cheap at $260. how that little thing put out the bass it did is a cool engineering feat. it also advertised 40 hours of battery life! i read today that it also is weatherproof and has a mic. it had a bigger brother, the tough xl, that also was quite impressive for about $400, which isn't chump change.

i have a cambridge audio minx go, which is a pretty ok little speaker, and i think i paid about $150 for it. it sounds good, and can go reasonably loud, but not that loud before it breaks up.

it used to be that the bose, at around $300, was the recommended speaker.

but i wonder what other people have and how they like it.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I have the Bose sound link and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Default what's your favourite wireless speaker?

I try not to judge them, or show any favouritism ... I just really love them all equally man.

(I think this is a very provocative and controversial topic, could go south quickly. In before the lock).
Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I try not to judge them, or show any favouritism ... I just really love them all equally man.

(I think this is a very provocative and controversial topic, could go south quickly. In before the lock).
Ohh . . . suure. As if we don't all know what you really mean by that.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I have a Bose Soundlink Mini. It's remarkable. I've always been a little suspicious of the Bose 'formula', but this little device is, well, remarkable.

We use it for streaming radio in the kitchen (iHeart), where it's just perfect. I can also take it out on the deck in warmer times, and listen to music at a sensible volume while I'm grilling, without deafening the neighbours.

IOW, it's great for closer applications - maybe not so much if you need to fill a bigger space.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-13-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:

thanks. that helps a lot. i realize now all the speakers, little or big, are just doing the best they can.

but you know, unrelated to this thread, i had a dream about you the other night. you were an electronics technician working in this huge company building (i worked there too). there was this big switch in the basement that changed the power from one thing to another. you explained it all to me but it went right over my head. anyway, it wasn't working, so you had to work late...

while you went off to sort things out, a co-worker resolved the problem. so i needed to let you know everything was ok. i spent a long time looking for you and trying to figure out how to page you, until a local police officer who i know told me to check with lost and found. they were number 10 on the speed dial, but nobody's phone went up to 10. finally, after a lot of frustration, you and another friend, who i can't remember now, showed up in my office to ask where i was. i recognized you and was relieved to finally tell you the power switch thing had been resolved.

then i woke up.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 PM

To be serious, those li'l Bose devices are bloody EPIC ! I don't know the model numbers, but a couple of my pals have got'em. Terrific thangs !
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 PM

i think now there is some serious competition with the bose soundlink.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
thanks. that helps a lot. i realize now all the speakers, little or big, are just doing the best they can.

but you know, unrelated to this thread, i had a dream about you the other night. you were an electronics technician working in this huge company building (i worked there too). there was this big switch in the basement that changed the power from one thing to another. you explained it all to me but it went right over my head. anyway, it wasn't working, so you had to work late...

while you went off to sort things out, a co-worker resolved the problem. so i needed to let you know everything was ok. i spent a long time looking for you and trying to figure out how to page you, until a local police officer who i know told me to check with lost and found. they were number 10 on the speed dial, but nobody's phone went up to 10. finally, after a lot of frustration, you and another friend, who i can't remember now, showed up in my office to ask where i was. i recognized you and was relieved to finally tell you the power switch thing had been resolved.

then i woke up.
Glad I was able to fix it. (I'm 11 on yer speed dial BTW)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Glad I was able to fix it. (I'm 11 on yer speed dial BTW)
it was the other guy who fixed it. i believe you went, "down below" to look for the problem.
dreams are like that, and it made sense at the time.

when you showed up, i recognized you by sight, even though we had never met. and while you were tall and thin, and young, you were getting a bit of a pot belly.

lost and found was definitely 10 on the speed dial. you, however, may actually go to 12.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
it was the other guy who fixed it. i believe you went, "down below" to look for the problem.
dreams are like that, and it made sense at the time.

when you showed up, i recognized you by sight, even though we had never met. and while you were tall and thin, and young, you were getting a bit of a pot belly.

lost and found was definitely 10 on the speed dial. you, however, may actually go to 12.
Spookily near the truth. Gangly geezer for sure .... More of a pot head tho' ....

EDIT: Haha! just re-read this and saw "young" in your dream description ... That would be my dream too...
Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

For music listening, you can control and shape the sound almost entirely on the device (smart phone, iPod, etc.) so all you really need is an amplified speaker capable of delivering the sound. In other words - you don't need a fancy amp like an old fashioned stereo amp with EQ, balance, etc.

If you want truer sound, you want a unit that accepts wired input as an additional option.

The biggest limitation of every system I've seen is the simple physics of creating bass sounds. Smaller speakers and smaller cabinets simply cannot physically do it.

I found THIS $99 unit to be the best bang-for-the-buck powerful bass-rich bluetooth speaker available.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
For music listening, you can control and shape the sound almost entirely on the device (smart phone, iPod, etc.) so all you really need is an amplified speaker capable of delivering the sound. In other words - you don't need a fancy amp like an old fashioned stereo amp with EQ, balance, etc.

If you want truer sound, you want a unit that accepts wired input as an additional option.

The biggest limitation of every system I've seen is the simple physics of creating bass sounds. Smaller speakers and smaller cabinets simply cannot physically do it.

I found THIS $99 unit to be the best bang-for-the-buck powerful bass-rich bluetooth speaker available.
i followed the link and crazy amazon-computer-generated-pricing now has it at $570+CDN.

my linx go is pretty good.

you guys need to hear these fugoo speakers. the little one probably weighed 2 lbs, and the bigger one 5. but the bass from the little guy was amazing. as was the sound.

and i'm not convinced they are the best.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM

I am ashamed to say I no longer own a "real" stereo system like the ones of yore.

For a couple of years I have been making do with the little "Creative" (brand name) speakers connected to my laptop.

More recently, I have added a Sony sound-bar with bass woofer to my TV set-up.
That connects to telly with optical cable, but also handles Bluetooth and is pretty "adequate" for playing tunes from my g.f's smartphone.
It is on right now.

We are selling ourselves short, and doing recording artists a great disservice by lazily adopting these convenient , neat and vastly inferior "systems".

I really need to get me a proper big old-skool wired component system, (s/hand out the bay). Like the one Pork Pie Guy posted about recently.

Yup. Retro rules !
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

I have an old component stero system from days of yore, also. It's in like-new condition.

I felt like you and, eschewed the convenience mostly because I hated throwing this out and it isn't worth anything to sell.

SO, I set it up as my workshop sound system. I hung four speakers (A and B channel stereo) from the rafters and I have a kick-butt sound system surrounding my workbench.

What I did compromise on was the inputs: I use a stereo phono 3.5mm jack as my "phono" and I plug it into my Android smartphone. Between the two I have amazing tonal control and 4000+ songs at my fingertips.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic