The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: What was your opinion of "The Force Awakens"?
Great film and as good as the original movies 14 16.87%
Good film although not as good as the original movies 14 16.87%
Decent as a Hollywood blockbuster type movie, but not worthy of the glowing critical reviews 19 22.89%
Rubbish 6 7.23%
I haven't seen it. 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 PM

First, no movie can beat or even meet enormous expectations this Star Wars generated.
Second, It is impossible to compare current Star Wars I watched in my 40's, with the Star Wars I watched as a kid. Totally different expectations and movie experience.
Having said that, if I was to judge it as any other movie I'd give it 6/10. Maybe a weak 7.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:45 AM

Because of my broken leg/ankle I still haven't been able to see it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:44 PM

When I saw the originals many years ago, nobody had seen anything like it. That feeling is definitely gone, as the latest movie is 100% about having seen all of it before, including the troll preset in their 3d software. If you appreciate that kind of idea I guess this movie is for you, and I realize a lot of people do like it so who am I to complain?

I went with my 9-year old, we saw it in 3d. She said afterwards it was fun because the scenery was beautiful and things were exploding, but she didn't know who were the good and the bad guys. And we were both irritated by the fuzzy 3d. Can't believe the quality is still that bad.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 PM

I probably won't see it. I saw the first one on Thanksgiving day, 1977, as one of three people sitting in the theater in Agana, Guam. It was kinda cool but way too comic-book for me. From what I've heard they stayed that way.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM

I originally saw the first one in Olongapo, Philippines in 1977. Loved it and watched it six more times that month.

Nothin' wrong with comic books.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I have said before, I enjoyed it. The poll is a little difficult because I believe that SW:TFA is probably the third best in the franchise. I would rank them
1) Empire V
2) A New Hope IV
3) Force Awakens VII
4) Return VI
5) Revenge III
6) Phantom I
7) Every other movie ever made
8) Attack of the Clones II
For myself I would change your number 1 & 2 around. Other than that I agree with your list.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:00 AM

I thought it was by far the worst Star Wars movie. In fact, I don't think it was a true Star Wars movie as it doesn't seem to fit into the scheme of things in any way.

Set 30 years after Return Of The Jedi, but it doesn't feel like it. There is absolutely no continuity.

An epic film like Star Wars requires a slow build (or at least that's how they used to be) and a feeling of many days passing during the course of the film.

The Force Awakens played out like an Xbox cut scene. It seemed like the director was trying to cram as many scenes as he possibly could into 2 1/2 hours, without exploring or providing substance to any of them.

The result being that the film seemed to take place all within one day. There was no pause for reflection or even a mourning period for the death of one of the most iconic characters in Star Wars history. That scene should have made me feel something. Well it did, but it was just regret that it was so badly done.

The whole premise of finding Luke is pointless. They didn't need him to destroy the Deathstar (again!!?!). The idea of him running away and hiding in the first place is even more ludicrous.

I think when Starwars fans look back on the series of films they will find that the Force Awakens sticks out like a sore thumb. At least the prequels seemed like part of the same series.

I don't count it as a Star Wars film.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 AM

I have to laugh at how many voted that they hadn't seen it. Why bother participate in a poll other than to denigrate the subject? That's akin to a losing team getting a trophy for participating.

I will say though that this movie is symptomatic of the decline of film in this era. It's basically trying to draw in a younger audience while drawing heavily on the original subject matter. While it was visually breathtaking at times I found it to be a derivative of the originals and not quite strong enough in the literary sense to stand on its own. It certainly did not seem to be a true sequel inasmuch as a transitional act to something completely different. I can only hope that the next film either builds upon the arc of the resurgence of the Jedi as an order instead of just a means to continue the franchise by borrowing elements from the originals.

FWIW I'm really getting tired of the whole story hinging upon the Skywalkers though at the same time I'm cringing at the spinoff films that are in the works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic