The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: What's Your Main TV/Screen Size?
<30-34 inches 13 13.13%
35-39 inches 6 6.06%
40-44 inches 14 14.14%
45-49 inches 14 14.14%
50-54 inches 10 10.10%
55-59 inches 21 21.21%
60-64 inches 7 7.07%
65-69 inches 10 10.10%
70-74 inches 4 4.04%
75-79 inches 0 0%
80-84 inches 0 0%
80-85 inches 0 0%
86-89 inches 0 0%
90+ inches 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
With 55-59 in the lead (huge TVs by my ability to comprehend) I wonder how many of those owners are overweight. Looking around my neighborhood and at work associates, I see a big TV and being overweight correlation.

If I take my lunch break in one of our break rooms vs our cafes (cafes are businesses units in the company) I don't necessarily see a TV and obesity correlation but sure do see a TV and poorly informed correlation. There's a crazy difference in conversation from the room where pundits shout adulterated news product and the room where people discuss a few newspapers.
That's some breathtaking snobbery you have there. Have any facts to corroborate, or just your personal observations?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
With 55-59 in the lead (huge TVs by my ability to comprehend) I wonder how many of those owners are overweight. Looking around my neighborhood and at work associates, I see a big TV and being overweight correlation.

If I take my lunch break in one of our break rooms vs our cafes (cafes are businesses units in the company) I don't necessarily see a TV and obesity correlation but sure do see a TV and poorly informed correlation. There's a crazy difference in conversation from the room where pundits shout adulterated news product and the room where people discuss a few newspapers.

One thing for sure is not much TV in my life makes me quite daft to a lot of pop culture stuff - makes me even more embarrassing to my kids! I confessed to learning of Parks & Rec after it was over. My kids had to give me a lesson in Kardashian but I did know about hoverboards.

Funny you mention "poorly informed".... Wonder if there is any real difference between sweeping generalizations drawn from limited subjective TV highlights and sweeping generalizations drawn from limited subjective anecdotal experience ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Generally speaking us folks in the UK live in smaller houses than most Americans. This is because on a small island the single most valuable "commodity" is land.

So, we have upgraded to a 40" Sony HD "Smart" TV which does far more than we need. In our TV watching corner , we sit about 8 feet away, so my wife insisted that we should not have anything larger, as she doesn't like the TV becoming a dominant aspect of our L shaped lounge.

Some time ago, I took up a part time job selling teaching aids to parents of young children. I noted that the poorer the family the larger the TV tended to be. Obviously this does not apply to all larger TV owners. The job didn't last long.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM

I have a very small TV in the kitchen which I flick on while I'm cooking - my wife never watches it, and nor do I make a point of watching anything in particular. It's just a bit of background to my chopping, frying and boiling, although I do prefer newsy-type programmes. Other than that, my wife and I watch Netflix and DVD films/serials from her laptop as we flop on the bed at night. In this case, we use a projector against the wall, so the image really is quite big - I'm not sure how big exactly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic