The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM

Red face What have I done now???!!!!! Martin Gas

Ok...Who's getting sick of me not hanging on to a guitar? Ok, no need to really answer and hurt my feelings. LOL. Actually, I have received some rather rude comments about my buying and selling guitars. I never really thought it would become a personal attack, but at times It seems that way. Oh well, what can you do. On with the latest saga.

The Kronbauer was months in making. I couldn't wait to get it and I thought it was everything that I wanted. I really wanted the larger wide neck and Trevor had no problem doing that. I asked him about a short scale and he said he'd do it, but told me that he had his standard scale perfected. I figured, why mess with perfection, I'll go standard. Well the neck was just as wide as I wanted and it felt great...Until I tried to play long "Dave Matthews" type stretches. It seemed the scale length was a mile long. Instantly I realized that I could learn to enjoy it, but did I really want to? Of course there was gas and stupidy running though my mind and it made it very hard to decide what to do. Once again I realized that it wasn't for me. (sigh) Over the weekend I went to a local guitar center and saw a Martin 000-28EC and just loved the vintage toner and all of the visual aspects of this guitar. I tried my best to fumble around and play a few things on it upside down and thought that it was a real winner. I posted here and asked for opinions and they were mixed as I expected. Seems this is another hit or miss Martin.

I'm starting a business with two friends and I justified selling the Kronie to help fund the endevor. Truth be told, I didn't really need to do that, however having that money handy sure wouldn't have hurt. I think I tried hide my compulsive guitar buying and selling behavior behind a positive and logical business purchase. Well, I will admit I was probably only kidding myself. I claimed that it did not matter because I'd have no time to play this summer anyway. That is pretty much true, but let's face it, we all make a few minutes a day to play and my Yamaha beater just won't do.

Well...Southpaw and Music123 both had this model in stock. Southpaw totally sucks but I called just for the heck of it. They didn't even come CLOSE to Music123's price. I never thought you could find a deal at these online vendors but they really hooked me up. I talked him down several hundred dollars and even got the next day air shipping for peanuts. It was really a great experience. (I'm still shocked) The great thing about these places is that you generally cut the plastic off the case when you get it.
I'm hoping the wood combo, scale length and vintage neck are a winning combo for me. (let's all hope so!!!)

Hi. I'm George, and I have Gas.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Talking

Hello George. Welcome to the GAS. You have the GAS. It can be treated, but I don't think you want the treatment. Keep on buying and selling and you will be fine!
Russ
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM

George, it's your money and anyone who attacks you for doing what you want with it can go rotate.

Of course, I think it's all in good fun, but I do know how snide remarks can hurt, so if you were offended by any comments I made, I apologize.

That being said, I do hope you like the new guitar! I also know that for me, the looking and the hunt for THE guitar is a lot of fun. You just have bigger stones than I as I like to window shop and take a long time before pulling the trigger. You look risks in the eye and say, "Who's your daddy?"

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
You look risks in the eye and say, "Who's your daddy?"
You guys just don't know how hard it is for a lefty. If I could go to all the Guitars centers, small shops on the Island and all of the great shops in NYC and play everthing I saw, I'm sure things would be a lot different. Sadly, that's just not the case. I think one thing that I could change is try to make the guitar fit me. I'm sure if i put in a little more work and practice I could adjust to a guitar that I liked. That sounds more reasonable than buying and selling. It's just hard. I had a D-35 and the tone could not be beat. The neck was just too thin. I got a D-18GE and it was great but it wasn't that rosewood sound and smell I was after (yes I said smell LOL) I was going to order a custom D-35, then I found Trevor. Well I explained that situation. Then along the way I got the idea that the short scale is what I'm after. (sigh) We'll see what tomorrow brings.

as far as the comments go, you never said anything that offended me at all. Most people's comments weren't THAT offensive. I tend to be a bit sensitive at times. No biggie.

Now just to clerify, this does mean that I'll be able to play like Clapton the second I pick it up right?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:36 PM

Hey George-nothing wrong with a little "GAS." First, it helps keep the entire acoustic industry alive, well, innovative, listening to the folks, making a better guitar, and on and on....

I thought I was totally IMMUNE from GAS...thought it only happened to...well...people like YOU. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! After hanging around this and other forums, I got it in my head I wasn't getting any younger, and getting myself a handbuilt without breaking the bank (read: Olson, Ryan, Traugott, etc.) was something I actually DESERVED. Well, I did done it! Even after almost a full year, I'm not sure why I "needed" this, but it shore is purty, and makes some nice noise.

So...you're among friends. You can stand up proudly and say: "Hi, my name is George, and I have GAS!" Good luck on the new git--I hear tell them thar' Martin EC's are pretty doggone nice. Post pix, too, if you will!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM

The part of your GAS that bothers me is that left-handed thing. Otherwise, I could get a good deal on a gently used Clapton in a few months.

Enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Gas

I have GAS. I didn't know what to call it until I found this forum. Now I'm after another guitar at the expense of selling my TaylorStock. Who would have thought that GAS could touch us all?
I guess this forum is a bit of a counseling session as well.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iurobz
The part of your GAS that bothers me is that left-handed thing. Otherwise, I could get a good deal on a gently used Clapton in a few months.

Enjoy it.
Wow, this coming from someone with only 19 posts. Even the new folks know my Rep. It's worse than I thought!!!!! Someone help me!!!!!

I just wonder if the Girlfriend will notice the difference when the EC is hanging on the wall and the Kronie is off to FedEx. "What?, huh? I don't know what you're talknig about. That's the same guitar Dear." LOL

I was thinking of buying my Summer Strummer 414rce back and hanging that up. This way I could tell her the last 3 years of guitar buying selling trading was all just a bad dream!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:48 PM

I can proudly say that I DON'T have GAS! I just want to have a lot of different guitars.

Oh...wait...nuts

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I can proudly say that I DON'T have GAS! I just want to have a lot of different guitars.

Oh...wait...nuts
Could be worse. I could love pianos. (PAS)
Old 04-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Shame on me, but I can't seem to figure out what GAS is or if I have it. Anyone willing to tell me without being too mean to a newbie?

Thanks.
"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's at somewhere. You always have to realize that you're constantly in the state of becoming, and as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sorta be allright." - Bob Dylan
--------------------------------------
Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiclettuce
Shame on me, but I can't seem to figure out what GAS is or if I have it. Anyone willing to tell me without being too mean to a newbie?

Thanks.
GAS= Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
Old 04-27-2006, 01:13 PM

LOL...see all this time I thought:

GAS = George Always Sells

Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
Could be worse. I could love pianos. (PAS)
Yeah, or Accordians!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
I was thinking of buying my Summer Strummer 414rce back and hanging that up. This way I could tell her the last 3 years of guitar buying selling trading was all just a bad dream!!!
Or it just finally came back around full circle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion