The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Question Hello from Atlanta

Hello hello! I've just signed up for this forum and I'm so glad to have found it. There is so much information here. I am looking forward to delving deeper. I've been playing the classical guitar for about a 1 1/2 years and am excited to try a different type of guitar. But, I am a total newbie to the acoustic. In fact, I have just ordered my first one, a Yamaha FG720S. And to be quite honest I just purchased it based on positive reviews. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what kind of guitar it is. Some people are telling me that it's a dreadnought. Other than size, is that the difference between a dreadnought and a "regular" guitar?

Furthermore, if anyone has any experience with this guitar, would you please make a recommendation as the the tension and type of strings you like?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM

I will just say hey there, and let the experts on here answer your questions!

I'm new to guitar as well!

Welcome to the forum!

Kim
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Welcome from another newbee. Just to let you know, if you've been playing a "classical", then you've been playing an acoustic. If it makes a sound from the wood and the strings with no aid from any electronics, then it's acoustic (yet some do incorporate electronic pickups). The "dreadnought" you mentioned is a reference to both size and shape (the "D" in Martin's D-28 for example). They are large bodied with a "drop-shouldered" shape. There are "jumbos" (large, with a more "hourglass" shape), "concert size", "parlors", "triple oughts" (all smaller with an "hourglass" shape), all kinds of designations mainly refering to size and shape, which also relates to the sounds they will produce. Those more knowledgeable will educate you further.

Welcome

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Welcome to the group. Hopefully your new guitar will bring you years of joy.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Talking Welcome!

Welcome D!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Take a look at this site for description of Martin models and sizes (click on pictures for more info): http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html
Other companies have comparisons in their catalogs. Look and you shall find.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dewalt...
Welcome to the group! Georgia - seems like a nice area to grow peaches, onions, and musicians! We are glad you joined...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Glad you've joined us, dewalt99! Always good to have another Atlantan among us. We have a pretty good number already, especially if you include all the area that the fabled Outer Perimeter is supposed to eventually impact! I lived in Atlanta for a long time, until moving about 90 miles South a year or so ago. Loved it there. Love it here! I'm close enough to enjoy the good things of the city, but not close enough to have to fight the I-75/85, I-285, I-20 madness very often.

We keep talking about an AGF Atlanta area get together, but haven't found the right spark plug of a person to make it happen just yet. One of these days we will...

Hang out here with us for very long, and you'll find yourself using a new vocabulary, like forward shifted bracing, New Old Stock, Polys and Nannos, scooped mids and Pure Westerns. Don't worry. Ain't none of it cussin'!

Don't be shy about joining in the conversation. You don't have to be an expert here to be respected, though we do happen to have quite a few true experts in every facet of guitardom, from building them to wringing the good notes out of them. We just enjoy getting together to talk, and you're invited to pull up a chair and join right in!

cotten
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Let me add my "welcome" to the list! I'm also in Atlanta, or Alpharetta, more accurately.

We should definitely have a get-together soon. The only person I've met from this board is Jim Tozier, who's not too far from me.

Adam
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Ah, there are some WONDERFUL luthiers down in the Atlanta area!!

Just wait til you get GAS. Generally caught from hanging around these forums...

You see, it starts with the photos... then the discussions... then the discovery of luthiers near you (some even teach courses on guitar construction, etc)... then the trade shows...

There is an old joke, how do you make a million dollars in horses? Start with several million...

Same can be said of those who catch the deadly virus GAS...

Welcome and enjoy yourself before you get infected
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Hello Dewalt...

Welcome to the group!!!

--------------------------------------------------
Music is Medicine for the Soul !!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherford View Post
...Just wait til you get GAS. Generally caught from hanging around these forums...
True, but normally we try to hide this until a new member is hooked. What are you trying to do, scare him away?

(Would love to hear more about your writing sometime, Dianna.)

cotten
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the group Dewalt99. From Kennesaw here. It would be great to have an Atlanta get together. You'll love the forum. Such great info abounds here.

Mark
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum.

A dreadnought is a type/size of guitar. There are many types/sizes of guitars. A "regular" guitar can be any type/size of guitar - it depends on how a person defines "regular".

Enjoy your new Yamaha.
'08 Martin HD28
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of info and a great deal of knowledge here. Lots to read and learn. Just don't get so caught up you forget to play you're new guitar. Seriously, I've found the forum to be a tremendous resource. I also agree that an Atlanta area get together would be great.

Dale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion