The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

It would be nice to hear an update from the OP ??
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM

I don't have a current-model Sigma, but I have an 80's Japanese Sigma DM-18 you'd have to kill me to get. It plays nearly as well as my Telecaster, has a great tone and smells great to boot (obscure David Gilmour reference there ). It's never needed any repairs other than a worn-out nut and saddle. I've sworn that as I've divested myself of my gear over the years it will be the last guitar I part with.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Default Sigma DR-41

Yes I know that some brand loyalists will say it's not a Martin & I know it isn't, but I have an 80s model DR-41 made in Tiawan never the less that my wife suprised me with because we saw it at a flea market we were at & I played & liked it to my suprise. It is very bassy, but when flatpicking bluegrass songs it totally comes to life. Doesn't actually sound that extraordinary when strumming, but when you flatpick it it's like it completely changes in that it really cuts through well is loud & sounds great. Do pretty much all of the higher end Sigmas do this ??? It's just hard to believe how it compares to my Buddys old D-35. He plays it a lot too & is a very accomplished serious bluegrass player with a bunch of high dollar Martins & Gibsons & really likes it & has even tried to buy it or trade me out of it. He modifies a lot of Martin guitars including D-28s & 35s too for bluegrass pickers that make them sound better (rescallops braces & changes bracing patterns etc.) & says he'd love to have it & work on it. What are your opinions on letting him do this ???? Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Sigma DR-41

My DR41 is from the 2000-2007 time frame, I think it sounds great strummed and isn't too bad fingerstyle with my bare nubs. My wife has asked me why I play it more than the Cruz...I have a lot of excuses. Apples and Oranges. I love them both.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Cool A Happy Sigma DR-42 Owner

I agree with those who have actually played, or own, a new and current Sigma Guitar. I'm always amazed at all the Sigma "haters" I come across throughout this and other guitar forums. Get a grip people! Focus on the the new Sigma line of guitars that the German company AMI Musical Instruments GmbH distributes. I purchased a Sigma Guitar in April of 2014 from the "pawn shop" on eBay (great guys and stressless purchase!); it's a Sigma DR-42 made in 2012. It is a beautifully made acoustic guitar! Yes, it has laminate sides and back but, so do most great acoustic/electric guitars! My Sigma plays easy, sounds GREAT, and looks fantastic!! You can judge for yourself at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dfl-IMTkQs

I'm very happy with my Sigma DR-42, and recommend the Sigma Brand to other guitar players. When they play mine, they can't believe the flawless workmanship and the sound that emits from this made in China acoustic guitar. You can still get the Sigma Brand distributed by AMI Musical Instruments GmbH in Canada (LA Music to name one). In the USA they are sold under the name Kindred Guitars. I own other acoustic guitars besides the Sigma DR-42: a Taylor 2014 First Edition 800e #49 of 100, an Epiphone AJ-500RENS, and an Ibanez AVN1 - the Sigma DR-42 can holds it own!
Before you judge, make an effort to educate yourself by playing the current edition of the Sigma Guitar brand. You just might be surprised by them!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 AM

I bought a Sigma 000M-15 here in the UK 3 years ago. This was the solid top, laminated b/s model with the 14th fret neck to body join. It looked just like the Martin equivalent and was nicely made.

As a pick player I found the top would overdrive a bit too easily for me resulting in a very muddy sound if you strummed too hard. I don't know if the same would be true of the Martin guitar it is copied from as I've never played one.

So I sold it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyleman69 View Post
I'm always amazed at all the Sigma "haters" I come across throughout this and other guitar forums.
+1 What he said!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

I got a Sigma OOO28VS around Xmas time.All solid woods,bone nut and saddle,but no case.It was £370 all in,apart from a small truss rod tweak it
played great,no set up needed.This is good value I think.Its not a Martin
but it's getting there.I find ideal for open mics etc.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

I think that in the U.S. there is also some confusion around the "new" Sigma name. As far as I understand the German company has license with Martin for certain design features and sells the Sigmas everywhere except the U.S. where they are called "Kindred". In the U.S. the Sigma brand is a completely different company that has no affiliation with Martin or the old Sigma history.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I think that in the U.S. there is also some confusion around the "new" Sigma name. As far as I understand the German company has license with Martin for certain design features and sells the Sigmas everywhere except the U.S. where they are called "Kindred". In the U.S. the Sigma brand is a completely different company that has no affiliation with Martin or the old Sigma history.
Good point and correct
Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The above is correct, I'm just adding the names of the players if anyone is interested:
St. Louis Music owns the rights to the "Sigma" name in the United States. Martin's copyright lapsed and St. Louis Music bought it. The "Sigma" guitars
sold in the U.S. do not have anything to do with the old Martin "Sigmas".
AMI purchased the rights to the Sigma brand for the rest of the world and everyone considers AMI Sigmas/Kindreds to be the legitimate heirs to the Sigma throne, if you will. The AMI Sigmas are sold under the brand name "Kindred" in the U.S.

Here's the info from AMI's website:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=222

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 04-28-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM

I always thought they were a pretty good "bang for the buck" guitar..

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Correct you are. The same company that owns Alvarez bought the Sigma name so a guitar from that company, sold here, is what we now call a Sigma.

Here they are talking about the Kindred.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=335727

I played an older original Sigma a few months back and sadly, it was crap.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM

I got this one new for $650 Cdn. a few months ago as kind of guitar for high risk places so that I don't get rolled for one of my Martins. It has a similar Martin sound and very playable. Obviously it doesn't sound as good as my D18 or HD35 but if you only had $650 to spend this would be a good buy. I tried the Martin PA cheap ($1,500) series, the Eastman something or other dread for $1,000 as well as a few other makes and the Sigma was the best fit for me as it feels very similar to my 2 Martins and sounds in the same ballpark so to speak. Stuck a K&K Mini in it over the weekend and all in all it's a nice rig. Fit and finish is good, intonation is good but I'd suggest playing a few as there was a little bit of variation in the ones I tried.

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=380
Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 PM

I purchased a new/old stock Sigma Sd28ce from the new US distributor. Very nice and capable guitar for the price. Wish the shop had taken better care of the humidity. Its been marinating in the case since Saturday. Puffing back up nicely now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion