The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Default Anyone still recording on tape?

I've not recorded to actual tape since the early 1990s (Tascam 388). Ever since then, it's been all digital.

Anyone still recording to tape?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Theres a Sony APR-24 24 track with Dolby SR noise reduction and an APR-5000 2 track in my machine room that I used to work with literally on every session.

I'll admit that I haven't done a job on the 24-track in over a year. The last job was remixing and remastering a sound track album from a movie. The 2-track was used a couple of months ago. And believe it or not, a guy came in yesterday wanting to salvage an archival recording off a cassette. Remember those? I had to ask him to bring his own machine. We kept ours until they croaked. Gone.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 AM

If anyone shows up needing to deal with a 1/4" digital reel to reel 2-track, send them my way. I still have a working Sony PCM 3202.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Remember the band "made" by 3M? Flim & the BBs. They were the house test band for the digital research division, "direct to digital." None of their '80s albums were recorded or mastered to formats that are extant today. Hoo boy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD