The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Default Rode IXY versus Apogee MIC

Greetings, friends. I have traditionally recorded my acoustic guitar and vocals direct to two track using a Rode NT4 (stereo XY config) and GarageBand. I now have an Ipad, and want to get a Mic that will allow me to record directly into the Ipad without the interface. I like the stereo mic, and so was tempted by the Rode IXY, but there seem to be a lot of positive press/reviews out there about the Apogee Mic.

Has anyone compared the two, or (if not) have any off the cuff observations about pros and cons of either)?

Thx,

The Colonel
Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 PM

I do not have recording experience with either of these mics but I was looking at both of them as options for non-interface recording with my iPad Air.

If you use a case with your iPad the Rode iXY or Rode iXY-L will not fit unless you took your iPad out of the case.

Both need some sort of stand and holder for good placement for vocals/guitar. The Apogee Mic seems like it would be less awkward to place and having the mic separate from the iPad seems a little less cumbersome to interact with the iPads recording apps. The Apogee mic however only comes with a very short cord so if the iPad is on a desk and the Mic is on a stand then you have to shell out for the longer cable, which really should have been included in the first place. I just bought the AirTurn mic stand, boom, side extender and universal tablet holder. The stand really does make it self very compact and I can see using this when I travel.

Both mics have good reviews. I did notice that the iXY-L will only get 24 bit 96K if you use their apps. I am going to get the Apogee Mic 96K today as it will go nicely with the AirTurn accessories I already have.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD