The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Voice software?

Just wondering how many people use some type of voice software? I realize that Autotune gets a lot of flack. I was considering buying Izotope Nectar 2, but I'm still on the fence. It would be a $200 purchase, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Ideas?

Is voice tune software something that you guys use often?

edit: As Mike mentioned below, I am talking about pitch correction software.

Todd

Last edited by BoneDigger; 01-21-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Just wondering how many people use some type of voice software? I realize that Autotune gets a lot of flack. I was considering buying Izotope Nectar 2, but I'm still on the fence. It would be a $200 purchase, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Ideas?

Is voice tune software something that you guys use often?

Todd
Honestly, I hate it, but you really pretty much MUST use it if you are making contemporary music... OR maybe you have someone with unbelievable pitch and you don't need to use it? That isn't me. I have decent pitch and don't require that much tuning, but... alas...

The public has come to expect pitch to be perfect or close to it. So I use it VERY sparingly in my work.

It's interesting thinking of what would have happened to Springsteen, Chrissy Hynde, Dylan, and so many others who are a bit pitchy... if they came out today they would be tuned. Sad.

The key is to learn how to make it work and sound transparent. It takes some work.

Anyway, I use Autotune. I have a version of Nectar but haven't used pitch correction there.

Logic and Cubase both have pitch correction built in. I personally wouldn't ever use pitch correction as a real time plugin, I would only use it to draw in pitch correction on small sections. Oh, the only time I used it as a real time plugin is when I had a fretless bass player come and play...

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Assume you mean pitch-correction software!

Reaper comes with ReaTune, which can help clean up some 'close but errant' notes either automatically or manually. Like any of these plug-ins, you can go from unnoticable in their applicaiton to 'full on robot' sound.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Assume you mean pitch-correction software!
Yep, Mike , you are right, thanks!

Todd
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Every time I sit down to a day-long session of tuning some singer with Antares AutoTune I think about the fact that Linda Ronstadt did her lead vocals as a front-to-back pass and typically wouldn't give her producer and engineer more than a couple of those passes.

Perspective.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 PM

The best bet is to get it right in the recording. As others have mentioned there's an expectation now of perfect pitch where in the past a little waver here and there was acceptable. So yes, a bit of post processing of the vocal pitch is expected.

Celemony Melodyne is really the way to go. It's the hardest, least intuitive and most effort to use. But it's also the best sounding and most flexible. It also has the benefit of being useful in your acoustic guitar recording. How? Melodyne can actually detect polyphonic sound so if you record and acoustic guitar and then transfer it into Melodyne, it will interpret the chords and music you played and, if you like, convert it to MIDI. You can then export this MIDI to notation software and suddenly something you recorded has been transcribed into notation / tab automatically. It's about 85 - 95 percent accurate and a great way to easily transcribe your compositions. And of course it also is great at adjusting the pitch on your vocal recordings.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Another vote for Melodyne. I use it once in a while for a vocal line that sustains, but drops a bit out of tune at the very end. It isn't the easiest software to use, but works great once you figure it out.

I have a suggestion that some folks won't like... while most (including me) prefer to record vocals dry and then tweak them with plugins, I have a TC Helicon Voiceworks+ that I've used with excellent results. Works as a preamp for me with nice reverbs, voice thickening and great harmonies that I use for back up vocals. It also has an autotune function. I tend to have that turned off, but may use it on occasion for a difficult vocal passage. The Voiceworks+ is a bit pricey at $450.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/TC-Helicon-Voi...sin=B0002E5482
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I have Melodyne and it is a terrific product. I use it with Pro Tools. -- Darwin
Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I have Melodyne and it is a terrific product. I use it with Pro Tools. -- Darwin
Very timely thread. My DAW is Logic Pro X so I've been using the flex pitch feature to make minor pitch corrections. Recently I read that Melodyne sounds far more natural. I'd love to hear from people who use or have used this software if this is an accurate assessment?

Thanks,
Trevor
Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Every time I sit down to a day-long session of tuning some singer with Antares AutoTune I think about the fact that Linda Ronstadt did her lead vocals as a front-to-back pass and typically wouldn't give her producer and engineer more than a couple of those passes.

Perspective.

Bob
but who does that say something about, us or linda?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Very timely thread. My DAW is Logic Pro X so I've been using the flex pitch feature to make minor pitch corrections. Recently I read that Melodyne sounds far more natural. I'd love to hear from people who use or have used this software if this is an accurate assessment?

Thanks,
Trevor
I haven't used flex pitch. It sound like it might be like elastic audio which is part of Protools.
Melodyne is quite impressively good. The later versions you can pull a single note from a chord into (or out of) tune.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post

Thanks,
Trevor
I have Logic X, Ableton Live Suite 8 and the latest version of Melodyne. Celemony Melodyne is by far the most natural sounding. With Melodyne you can pitch correct a lead vocal part and it will sound transparent. You can hear some artifacts using Logic X and the built in pitch shift in Ableton.

Melodyne is by far the hardest to use and least intuitive, but it is a technological marvel and does some truly amazing things.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Perspective.

Bob
I can't imagine Karen Carpenter doing many takes either...
These days someone with autotune would probably "fix" Mc Cartney's perfect 1/4 steps in 'For No-one'!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 AM

"Melodyne is by far the hardest to use and least intuitive, but it is a technological marvel and does some truly amazing things."

heh, I agree. I have it but have seldom found the sweet spot where the correction is worth the effort.

I feel like I want to clone myself and send the clone to Auto-Tune school (aong other places).

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Is it just me or do all of the "pitch correction" software programs "noticeably change" the colour and character of the voices they're applied to? I've been listening to examples of AutoTune, Melodyne and Waves Tune and they all make the sources sound plastic to my ears. Or put another way, Usher, Usher and more Usher regardless of genre.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD