The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Default Home Recording to PC

Looking for entry level suggestions. Want to record my acoustic play on what would be the next step up from my smartphone.

Looking for a mic for the PC and maybe some type of music recording software. This appears to be popular on Amazon, any suggestions appreciated...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 02-21-2015, 02:20 PM

I have experience at the high, medium and low end for audio recording.

At the low end, I needed to buy a microphone because I had to do some voiceover recording at the last minute.

So I bought a Samson USB mic (C1). It sounded surprisingly OK... except it was too noisy. I had Isotope RX which allowed me to dial out the noise.. but I wouldn't recommend the Samson for that reason. It is a condenser but I think the high noise eliminated some of the bad room from the recording. Not a great tradeoff.

The Rode Podcaster is much better. It's a dynamic mic and has a pretty narrow pattern, which is good for most of us (since we don't always have good rooms). It also has the advantage of having a headphone jack built in (so it has both a/d and d/a converters). But I have only had the opportunity to try it with voice and acoustic guitar. I wasn't overwhelmed with it in either case, but a little EQ and the sound was quite serviceable.

I haven't tried the CAD mic in your link. It's a condenser which is good and bad. It will pick up more room sound than a dynamic, but it will have more high end sizzle generally speaking. It has gain control which is really important when you're recording both soft and loud sounds. Based on the reviews it's hard to see how you can go wrong, plus it's so cheap... the only downside is shipping will cost a third of the price of the mic unless you're Amazon Prime. The downside is it doesn't have d/a converter on board so your latency will depend on your computer (if you're overdubbing... recording at the same time you're listening to previously recorded tracks). If you don't need to overdub, just don't have headphones on and you're OK.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

If you're looking for a simple pc solution, I've been very happy with my Blue Yeti and Audacity free software. The Yeti has gain control on the mic, which saves a lot of fiddling with adjusting sound level settings on your computer, and it sounds pretty good for a USB mic.

Steve
Old 02-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback I have researched all the suggestions above and still learning so I want to make the right purchase.

Sounds like a may need a dynamic mic since the condenser mic is very sensitive. I would be recording in a small office only to hear my practice sessions.

When recording with my phone, I have to use the low volume recording setting only because the high setting is full of distortion. I know this is a crude way of doing it, but I don't want to order a mic that gives me the same results without a way to tune it out....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 AM

Hi @Polarred21 ; I would definitely go for the practical ... a Zoom recorder . I've got the entry level H1 and I'm satisfied with it.Some folks here in Show@Tell record with them so you can dig in their songs etc... If you can get a newer model from ZoomH2 and above, much better. Those gadgets are really really good. Go to YT and watch some videos about it. Good luck.

P.S.: as for the recording software I would recommend REAPER, easy, fine, low CPU use and unending possibilities.

Last edited by delaorden9; 02-22-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 AM

I am reading on the Audicity forum that some USB mics have issues with low recording volume. I guess no type of pre-amp, just plugged straight into the computer.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM

USB mics have built-in preamps (as well as A-D converter, of course). I don't know of any with a built-in gain control, though.
I'll think you'll get your best bang-for-the-buck - as well as something you can use at home or move forward with - by getting separate audio interface and a mic.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
I am reading on the Audicity forum that some USB mics have issues with low recording volume. I guess no type of pre-amp, just plugged straight into the computer.

Has anyone experienced this?
Just to clarify A microphone is either good or not. If it has an on board pre-amp the same applies. Same goes for the converters.

USB has utterly nothing to do with the misconceptions flying around about "USB Mics". There's nothing sonically inherent about USB nor does USB contribute to a good vs bad choice of mics.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
If you're looking for a simple pc solution, I've been very happy with my Blue Yeti and Audacity free software. The Yeti has gain control on the mic, which saves a lot of fiddling with adjusting sound level settings on your computer, and it sounds pretty good for a USB mic.

Steve
I just purchased a Blue Yeti and am going to try it out tonight. I have Audacity on my laptop. Thanks for posting. I will post something in the next couple of days and let the OP know my experience.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I just purchased a Blue Yeti and am going to try it out tonight. I have Audacity on my laptop. Thanks for posting. I will post something in the next couple of days and let the OP know my experience.

Best,
Jayne
Yes I would appreciate your feedback. I'm looking into buying this setup or maybe a digital tecorder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD