The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Mic Placement

Aloha Trevor,

I agree w/ everyone else. Mic placement experimentation is where it's at. You have a really fine recording signal chain, Trev. I have confidence that you will be able to achieve the desired results with some work. So experiment w/ all the mic typical miking patterns & then move outside the box as you compare recordings w/ different placements in different settings. It's educational & a lot of fun to do.

RE: mic/preamp combo's. I agree, there are much larger differences w/ mic placement than through preamp change-outs. The onboard pre's on your Quartet are excellent & pristine sounding & should work well w/ your Microtech-Gefell 300's. I paired some M-G M294's w/ my Ensemble preamp & loved the sound.

If you are preamp jungle curious, then do your own shoot-out's in your home studio, or rent some time at studio's, or at high-end suppliers (bring your guitar & 300's next time you go to a big city). If curious, PM me & I'd be glad to tell you how I did it, even though I'm isolated out here in the Islands where there are no high-end suppliers. It is doable & it is fun to do.

Good Luck, Trevor!

alohachris

PS: A few years ago, I conducted four mic-preamp comparison shootouts at home using some 20 high-end preamps w/ my favorite recording mic's. I had lotsa fun over a few weekends. My preferred Schoeps CMC641's particularly liked the Pendulum MDP-1a tube preamp, the great sounding A Designs Pacifica & the preamps I already had on the Apogee Duet1 & Ensemble interfaces. But they also sounded great (different flavors of nice in different configs. & placements) with several other high-end pre's I auditioned: Great River MP-2NV, John Hardy M-1, Siemann's V72, NPNG QMP-4NW, Pendulum SPS-1, API 3124, Grace 101, Neve 1073, Chandler, Aurora GTQ2, Forsell, etc .) . I love the subtle differences of mic-prep combinations. However Trevor, my conclusion is that you can dial in the more dramatic differences & fresults w/ mic placement. Enjoy! -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 02-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Thanks, Alohachris, for the input, advise and, most of all, encouragement. My little issue re: "to external preamp or not to external preamp" my signal chain hasn't dampened my spirits or diminished the enthusiasm and good old fashioned fun I'm having in my new/old studio.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
sdelsolray, I did challenge the assumption so recorded the guitars in question with a Sennheiser MKH800 P48 and with my Miktek CV4. Neither of of those mikes exhibited the brittle top end.
I find that different cardioid mics often work best with different locations/placements. I mean this in two ways. First, even with the same configuration (e.g., X-Y, OTRF, AB spaced pair, etc.) not all pairs work best in the exact same location, e.g., one pair in X-Y may work best at 24" dead center out in front and another pair may work best at 18" slightly off-center and slightly rotated. Second, some pairs work better with certain placements than others, for example, a particular pair of mics may work best with an X-Y placement and not as well with ORTF and another pair might do the opposite.

Contrary to many, I believe preamps have an important effect on the front end signal chain. I don't see it so much as a matter of a greater or lesser effect, but as a different effect than, say, variation in room, mics, instrument or player.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I find that different cardioid mics often work best with different locations/placements. I mean this in two ways. First, even with the same configuration (e.g., X-Y, OTRF, AB spaced pair, etc.) not all pairs work best in the exact same location, e.g., one pair in X-Y may work best at 24" dead center out in front and another pair may work best at 18" slightly off-center and slightly rotated. Second, some pairs work better with certain placements than others, for example, a particular pair of mics may work best with an X-Y placement and not as well with ORTF and another pair might do the opposite.

Contrary to many, I believe preamps have an important effect on the front end signal chain. I don't see it so much as a matter of a greater or lesser effect, but as a different effect than, say, variation in room, mics, instrument or player.
Yes, to your point about placement I'm going to move the mikes back to at least 18" from my guitar tomorrow. I've experimented with all the various configurations you mentioned and prefer the sound I get from setting the Gefells up as a spaced pair.
I'd be interested in hearing more of your views about preamps.

Last edited by Trevor B.; 02-24-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 PM

One thing you may try is to get a helper who can move the mics while you play until you find some sweet spots. Keep you eyes closed and use your ears. If you're totally solo, finger pick and open tuned chord while you move the mic until you hear what you like. You can use capos with the open tuning to get to the pitches you prefer. Good luck in the chase...

Rockabilly69
Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
One thing you may try is to get a helper who can move the mics while you play until you find some sweet spots. Keep you eyes closed and use your ears. If you're totally solo, finger pick and open tuned chord while you move the mic until you hear what you like. You can use capos with the open tuning to get to the pitches you prefer. Good luck in the chase...

Rockabilly69
The "helper" idea is a great one. Thanks, rockabilly69!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD