The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Need advice: group w/o drummer can't keep tempo

I've been playing in my church's praise and worship band for almost 10 years now. When I started there were four of us on guitar (I played electric to add some variety) and an equal amount of singers, mostly from the choir. At one point we had a drummer and a bass player and managed to keep a pretty good tempo but the added volume was not well received by the congregation. Nowadays we're just 2 acoustic guitar players, a piano player, a tenor sax and still about 4 singers, mostly women out of the choir. We play a lot of songs out of the hymnal but we also play a number of contemporary praise and worship songs that are well received.

The problem is that our timing and lead ins between verses are all over the place. It's not terrible but it's a recurring issue in that none of us seem to be able to keep a consistent tempo and at times it seems like anarchy is setting in. I find myself missing those days when we had some sort of percussion to take ownership of the timing. It's pretty much fallen to me by syncopating my strumming and using pick noises to add percussive effects but when we're all playing it's not always easy to hear me. I even brought in a small djembe and the music director tried her hand at it but it was very new to her and it didn't work out so good. The group relies on me to provide the bones of the rhythm playing so I can't move over the drums, nor would I want to unless I learned how to play a kick drum while playing guitar. Personally I don't want to do that and I think people would complain too.

So my question is this: since we can't have somebody handle percussion would be it advisable to suggest a metronome that the music director could use to sort of conduct us like she does with the choir?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 AM

What about a small drum machine that you could run through foldback. It doesn't have to be loud enough to disturb the congregation, just loud enough for you musos.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 AM

A drum machine was my suggestion as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM

Default Visual time

This could well be a solution:

http://www.lasermetronome.com

If it doesn't do the trick your pets will love it...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 AM

Interesting. I know nothing about drum machines. Could you suggest particular models? Ideally I'd like something that could vary the tone for and isn't so technical that it "gets in the way" of actually playing the music.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM

What about hand drum(s).
Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM

I've never seen a congregation/church that couldn't tolerate a drummer. Drums, like every instrument, can be toned down and quieted. Also, as music is written very specific, I would work on my rhythm keeping abilities as it is essential to being a musician.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-12-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 PM

You need a LEADER not a machine. I've been playing in orchestras and bands for the past 43 years. If you are playing solo you are the leader, and you can do what you want with tempo. When there are two or more you've got to decide who is the leader and EVERYONE follows them.

Most people suck at rhythm because they lack the discipline to practice it, counting beats, giving every note/chord or rest its correct measure. Do you all ever practice? By that I don't mean run thru this week's songs. I mean the leader takes the group through a tune, counting, cueing, correcting, repeating as necessary to get it right? Do the members practice at home? Do they even have a part to practice or is everyone just banging out chords/melody as loud as they can?

Here is the real reason you have anarchy - everyone is playing but no one is listening to each other.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 AM

If your group can't keep time without a drummer it needs to get a drummer.

Any other "answer" - figure out how to program a drum machine, buy the sacristan a djembe, whatever - is just going to prolong the problem.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
You need a LEADER not a machine. I've been playing in orchestras and bands for the past 43 years. If you are playing solo you are the leader, and you can do what you want with tempo. When there are two or more you've got to decide who is the leader and EVERYONE follows them.

Most people suck at rhythm because they lack the discipline to practice it, counting beats, giving every note/chord or rest its correct measure. Do you all ever practice? By that I don't mean run thru this week's songs. I mean the leader takes the group through a tune, counting, cueing, correcting, repeating as necessary to get it right? Do the members practice at home? Do they even have a part to practice or is everyone just banging out chords/melody as loud as they can?

Here is the real reason you have anarchy - everyone is playing but no one is listening to each other.
Very good points! I suck at timing, but I have worked with professional musicians over the years and have learnt that there is only ONE leader.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Get a good bass player. I play bass in three different projects without a drummer. I AM the rhythm section and the keeper of the tempo.

Another solution is to get a drummer using an electronic kit. Volume is easily controlled, and there's no need for a plexiglass cage to dampen the sound.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Maybe find somebody who plays a cajon really well? It is quieter than a drum kit but still can sound sort of bass drum, snare and hh if played well.

If played badly though it could make your problem worse.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-12-2016, 11:43 AM

I've been a worship leader for 15 years for a small congregational church, so I understand what you're talking about.
Drums are not going to solve your problem. Drums are supposed to follow the Worship Leader, which in this case, I assume is you. Not the other way around. You need to set the rhythm through strumming chords with an acoustic guitar. You can't set a rhythm with an electric guitar or piano or sax. The strumming acts as a metronome, letting everyone know the beat of the song, so there's no need for a metronome either. And you don't need percussion to set a rhythm. There's no need to tap with your pic or kick a bass drum. Play more pronounced and clear strums.
You mentioned there's another acoustic guitar player along with you? If so, that could be part of your problem. Both rhythm guitars are fighting over the rhythm. You could have the other acoustic guitar player play a picking style rather than strum, or single (light) strums once per chord. Or not play at all. This will help everyone here your guitar clearly and not get muddled with 2 rhythms.
Another point, make sure everyone is clear that they need to follow you. If people aren't used to playing in a band, they could get lost in their own sound.
Hope that helps. Good luck to you.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been reflecting on things and have decided that it is not my place to interject. There are lot of things going on in my life, in the church and in the band that have me questioning my place and I don't want to cause any more drama with any of it. I will discuss it with the music director.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM

I am the leader for my church team and lead from acoustic. We also currently have no drummer and it had become problematic. I do have a left foot that can keep time however so I solved the problem with the Megastomp Mk3 BASS XLR PRO: http://www.peterman.com.au/music/sto...stomp-bass-xlr

Overall Model Selection: http://www.peterman.com.au/music/stompboxes

Straight to the PA, it does a very nice impersonation of a bass kick and is one of the few models I found that was flat intead of slanted which allows for comfortable use while standing. I spray painted the puck part completely black however as some of my seniors found the name "Puck N Stompa" on top a bit...questionable.

Last edited by Joe F; 10-12-2016 at 02:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write