The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Hoffee Case Review

My experience with my Hoffee case started off pretty negative, but Jeff has really gone out of his way to turn the experience around, so I'm deleting all of the old issues/conflicts because I think it's irrelevant at this point.

The workmanship on the replacement case is really exquisite. They obviously put the kind of detail work I knew they were capable of into this case.

The fit to my guitar is pretty much exact. The interior is nicely executed. The carbon finish is flawless and really sleek looking. And I really love the butterfly/twist latches that Jeff offers as an alternative. I think they are a great match for the case. As an added design bonus on these latches, they are spring loaded so that they pop open (and stay open) once you release them. It's a nice mechanism and it keeps the latches from flopping around.

I will add that I am planning on ordering another Hoffee case for my upcoming guitar build. My strong personal preference, I will add, is for the butterfly/twist style latches.

The exterior really leaves a nice impression.

Twist latches. I really like them.

Never mind the fibers from the interior sticking to the latch grease. You can see the latches are nice heavy-duty gauge. You can also see the spring-opening mechanism. I think these are really sweet latches.

Last edited by cotten; 09-05-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Juston posted a followup thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264521
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Thanks for this very informative review.

I was wondering whether to get a Hoffee case -- and your close up photos of the latches gave me the answer that I needed...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 PM

I've literally seen thousands of cases. I've never seen one with such appalling hardware.
There's hardly any point in having a really strong case if when it does have an impact the latches fly off and your beautiful guitar flys onto the tarmac.
You must be really disappointed after spending a grand.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 PM

Good for you for taking your business elsewhere.

I have no experience with their cases but those pictures tell me I wouldn't ever take the risk, let alone a $1k risk...

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Juston, I was considering Hoffee for my Baranik Meridian, but now I'm reconsidering. What case would you recommend I go with for it?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 AM

That sure is ugly.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
Juston, I was considering Hoffee for my Baranik Meridian, but now I'm reconsidering. What case would you recommend I go with for it?
Oh I don't have any particular recommendation or experience. This is my first venture into high end cases, and it was mostly motivated by weight savings. There ended up being almost no weight difference with the Ameritage. I know that Karura and Accord both get good reviews.

I frankly think Cedar Creek and Ameritage are great if you don't need the protection of a carbon case.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 AM

Thanks for your review and sorry for your situation and feelings.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 AM

I have to say, I was reading this on my small laptop and at first thought that perhaps you were being over-critical. That was until the pictures scrolled into my small screen. I think you are 100% correct in your assessment of that hardware.... unacceptable for such a high cost case. I will say that none of my cases are anywhere near that bad and these were freebies included with purchased guitars. The 2 factory Walden cases, a SBK "freedom case" and even the Roadrunner case I bought from GC that I sold with my Yamaha a while ago were all better then that.

Good for you for sticking to your guns and not accepting the case. If more people would pipe-up when faced with this kind of quality, things would change quite quickly on the manufacturing end. Like you, I have no high-end case experience... but that is just poor workmanship and quality control... plain and simple.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 AM

I wouldn't take anything with those kind of quality issues, even items I bought at discount retailers like Big Lots.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Wow! That's a $1K case? Not what I expected to see. That's disappointing, as I was entertaining one of these, especially that Calton has had delivery issues with their cases in the past. Oh well......back to the search.

I have and love my Hiscox case for my dread, but it is pretty heavy.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 AM

I chatted with Jeff a while back when I was considering a lightweight case for my new guitar. I'd thought of the Ameritage, but I live overseas and travel on public transport several times a week with my guitar...so needed something light. Of course at the time Calton hadn't fallen apart completely so Hoffee was still gaining it's name. But when I communicated with him he seemed very helpful.

I do have a Hoffee case coming with my guitar this fall so I'll make sure to follow up on this forum. I'm hoping it was just an off day for Jeff (we all have them) as I've heard some great reviews. Sorry to hear of your woes and I'm glad you're happy with your other cases.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the review. My conversation would have ended with the curt response.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
...I have and love my Hiscox case for my dread, but it is pretty heavy.
Hi Blueser...

Yes, heavy, but protective. I have two guitars in older Caltons, and they too are heavy, but I never worry about whether they are safe.

I used Anvil cases for years, and if you ever used those then you know your Hiscox is a dream case. An Anvil weighs about 20 pounds empty, is rectangular and takes up the entire width of the back seat of small cars (and has destroyed a window or two when the metal corner tip caught the window when the door was closed).

I've seen the Hoffee cases up close, and while the interior is fairly nice, they still need to improve their hardware. Nothing this expensive should be anything less than stellar.

I know a luthier who was buying a case like these and velcroing a customized matching velvet covered pillow to the bottom side to make them fit the cases snugly. In the $200-250 range, these are a pretty viable option.

CLiCK

I hope someone steps up to bat and fills in the holes that the demise of Calton has left in a needed side of the industry (those of us who travel and take our guitars out to gigs regularly).

I've had hands-on with a couple of Ameritage, and the outsides are too fragile (fabric covered) are not as sturdy as the carbon fiber cases.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Those pictures look nasty. Was an explanation given for why the hardware was so poorly installed? I can't believe we see this on a $1k case. That's just ridiculous.

I'd like to see someone from Hoffee come on this forum and reply to this note. They have to realize the AGF is the center of the acoustic universe. Their potential customer base LIVES here.

I guess if you are in the market for a high-end case, the search just got a little easier. You can scratch this brand off your' short list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion