The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Default info re: Jerry Nolte guitars

I am interested in obtaining a finely made custom guitar with walnut B/S and a cedar top. In my search, I came across a couple of positive reviews and one generally positive review (there were a couple of issues relating to fit and finish; not tone or playability) for Jerry's guitars.

Can anyone add anything?

Scott
Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 PM

I personally have never heard of Jerry. Where is he from?
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 05-04-2010, 05:52 PM

His shop is Cove, Oregon. His company is called Evergreen Mountain Instruments.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Nolte guitars, Evergreen Mountain Instruments?

Apparently, no one has intimate knowledge of "Evergreen Mountain Instruments" owned by a builder named Jerry Nolte.

Any recommendations then for a custom builder or a upper tier maker for a walnut B/S and cedar top guitar?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM

I've never heard of Jerry Nolte, but I bet he's never heard of me either. I (always) recommend checking with the AGF sponsors. I've got a good stack or Walnut, and I've also got some really nice Cedar. My prices are a little higher than the ones listed on Mr Nolte's website, but they're still very resonable.
This is a guitar I built with Walnut and Sitka Spruce.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

WoodyB:

Thanks for the response. I had a good look at your website and your Rosewood project, well done. Did you consider using Madagascar Rosewood?

I'll put you in the mix. 2 Questions:

I have heard (you know what that is usually worth) that Claro walnut makes for a poorer tonewood than the Black walnut growing in the west US, any thoughts?

With respect to a Walnut B/S & Cedar top instrument; what body shape would you recommend?

Scott
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is some info I got from on line. Im my own opinion, I have always thought that Claro and California black walnut were the same and most do label it that way.

Also I am doing a OOO Kwasnycia guitar build with Bastogne Walnut that is a hybrid, also of english and californian walnut grafted together. It is a more dense wood that has a better specific gravity to it and a little bit better tone. The Bastogne Walnut will have a more bell like ring to it when tapped.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=178926

Woody and myself along with many other sponsors here would be able to build a great guitar for you, It all depends on what your budget is.

Here is what I found on the subject.

Claro walnut is a misused term; it has been misused for so long there is no turning back. Originally, it referred to the root stock below the graft line on English walnut trees in orchards as contributor. The root is where you get heavy compression figure and color that is prized for gun stocks.

Today, however, many refer to all western walnut as Claro to differentiate from its eastern cousin Juglans Nigra (which is a commodity hardwood and the western species is not, which means a big money difference). It is my understanding that the root stock used in orchards is a native walnut species Juglans Hansii. English walnut has a tendency to rot so using the native species adds life of the tree.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
WoodyB:

Thanks for the response. I had a good look at your website and your Rosewood project, well done. Did you consider using Madagascar Rosewood?

I'll put you in the mix. 2 Questions:

I have heard (you know what that is usually worth) that Claro walnut makes for a poorer tonewood than the Black walnut growing in the west US, any thoughts?

With respect to a Walnut B/S & Cedar top instrument; what body shape would you recommend?

Scott
I would have liked to included more Rosewoods, and maybe a non rosewood in the Rosewood project, but 4 at a time is already too many for me. I considered Mad Rose and African Blackwood, but I prefer Pamana Rosewood. Orginally the East Indian, Honduran and Brazilian ones were sold, so I was planning on keeping the Panama for myself. The guy who commissioned the Braz one lost his job, so I kept it for myself, and sold the Panama Rosewood one. Cocobolo would have been a good choice too but I'm allergic.

Walnuts........to me there's alot of overlap between the different "flavors". I've rejected some that was called "Claro" because of tinny tap tone, but I've got some "Claro" that has great taptone. I've heard Claro guitars that were too.....jangly for my taste. I guess I'm not exactly correct in doing this, but I try to match an individual set for a client based on taptone, and the desired appearence, not what "flavor" it is. I just call it "Walnut". IMHO none of the Walnuts (I've had) work well with a harder top like Adi. To my ears a softer top, like Cedar, Englemann, Redwood or even Sitka works better. The body style/size really depends on your playing style. IMHO you can't go wrong with something along the lines of a 000/OM, either 14, 13 or 12 fret.

I've never had any Bastogne but the stuff Dennis has looks wonderful. I suspect the 000 he's building will be a masterpiece. I bet it will sound great too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop