The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluende View Post
I thought the same thing! The control layout is almost identical to the Unico, as well as the cabinet shape and handle design.

As far as which amp out of your original list, if the Unico isn't enough juice for you at 180 watts, I'd go with the AI Corus (or maybe the Coda, if you really are going to double on bass?). AI makes great (tiny) amps!
Yea I read that SR Technologies are part of Schertler, hence they look the same as they ARE the same!!...

The AI Corus is the most curious of the high end mini PA's because i don't know anyone who has used it who can give a report. The power of it and the reviews of their other products merit a serious look. Like I said I did use the Unico while over in Europe and it was fantastic sounding but yea, a bit heavy.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Look at the Genz-Benz Shenandoah series.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 AM

i 've also used the aer compact 60 for a number of years, i consider it a great buy.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
First a bit about me.

I do an acoustic singer songwriter show that blends between typical fare to a high powered looping thing with lots of guitar percussion. I'm pretty dynamic and I do a lead/rhythm hybrid playing style. I need something that sounds full across the spectrum. I also sing and play harmonica and don't do any instrumental music other then play lead over loops at times..The PA I use is pretty high end and I've got EV SX300 speakers which are very highly regarded. I'm used to good sound and will pay for it.

considerations:
HIGH QUALITY..NO CHINESE CRAP!

Price isn't an object here within reason. I've tried the Bose tower and I found it good sounding but over priced .

Fishman Soloamp- Well I guess I had to put this one in there as well although it looks like it might be on the upper end of size for what i'm looking for but still might be portable. It's untested but I think it's probablyl chinese made which should exclude it from my consideration not to mention that all the other Fishman Acoustic amps are outclassed but the gear I have listed so I have reason to believe this unit will be as well. I don't know though, don't quote me and fell free to refute what I speculated.S
It's interesting that you liked the Bose - which is made in China - but stated in your opinion that Fishman is "outclassed but (by?) the gear I have listed".

I'm surprised you haven't received hate mail from the legion of satisfied Fishman amp owners out there- myself included - but that's probably because they're too busy playing gigs to get involved on these forums.

I read on this forum that Fishman just began shipping Solo Amps. I'm sure someone will have their own review of 'em soon. According to the info I read about it, you can use it on either U.S. or European voltage, which is a big plus for touring overseas.

And - if you haven't already done so, traveling by train or plane with a guitar (hard shell case of course), amp (any sized) and suitcase full of clothes and cd's to sell at gigs can be a real challenge. Good luck no matter which piece of gear you settle on.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Look at the Genz-Benz Shenandoah series.
LOVE IT...AWESOME Amp!! However, I'm looking for something I can walk around with...Small and portable.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
It's interesting that you liked the Bose - which is made in China - but stated in your opinion that Fishman is "outclassed but (by?) the gear I have listed".

I'm surprised you haven't received hate mail from the legion of satisfied Fishman amp owners out there- myself included - but that's probably because they're too busy playing gigs to get involved on these forums.

I read on this forum that Fishman just began shipping Solo Amps. I'm sure someone will have their own review of 'em soon. According to the info I read about it, you can use it on either U.S. or European voltage, which is a big plus for touring overseas.

And - if you haven't already done so, traveling by train or plane with a guitar (hard shell case of course), amp (any sized) and suitcase full of clothes and cd's to sell at gigs can be a real challenge. Good luck no matter which piece of gear you settle on.
Oh, I'm sorry I offended you with my China Remark. I did like the Bose for about a grand less i MY OPINION, it would be worth it. And of course it's not as portable as I would like. As far as Fishman goes, have you compared your amp with Acoustic Image, AER, and Schertler? Maybe it holds up, I don't know. I'm basing my opinions on scores of reviews I have read on line. I'm a Fishman fan for sure..have the original Aura, their pickups, etc but I'm a serious Audio snob, studio guy, etc and I want the best I can get. Within reason. If Fisman SoloAmp or any or there Loudbox Amps are the best I will flat out buy them.

As far as the Europe thing, plane, train, buses...Done it..It's tough for sure. NO HARD CASE is going to do it..Gotta have a gig bag that I can carry over the shoulder, this time I have a traveler backpack and Traveler Guitar..Only taking a a few pants shirts, shoes etc. Believe me, you really have to watch how much you bring and I think I have it down this time. I'm shipping my CD's over.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry I offended you with my China Remark. I did like the Bose for about a grand less i MY OPINION, it would be worth it. And of course it's not as portable as I would like. As far as Fishman goes, have you compared your amp with Acoustic Image, AER, and Schertler? Maybe it holds up, I don't know. I'm basing my opinions on scores of reviews I have read on line. I'm a Fishman fan for sure..have the original Aura, their pickups, etc but I'm a serious Audio snob, studio guy, etc and I want the best I can get. Within reason. If Fisman SoloAmp or any or there Loudbox Amps are the best I will flat out buy them.

As far as the Europe thing, plane, train, buses...Done it..It's tough for sure. NO HARD CASE is going to do it..Gotta have a gig bag that I can carry over the shoulder, this time I have a traveler backpack and Traveler Guitar..Only taking a a few pants shirts, shoes etc. Believe me, you really have to watch how much you bring and I think I have it down this time. I'm shipping my CD's over.
No offense taken on the China remark. Looking around my living room, I see a Sony HDTV, Panasonic DVD recorder, Canon digital camera and Motorola cellphone - all made in China.

And how can you call yourself an audio snob if you haven't yet tried any of the amps you listed, yet go by what others say on these forums is the "holy grail". Like my grandfather used to say, "if somebody told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?". I've said it before and here goes again: sound is subjective... I wish I had a dollar for every "greatest ______ ever" I've read on these forums.

Take the time to do the listening yourself and don't base your decision on what a bunch of people with way too much time on their hands (myself included) tell you to buy.

As for the comment about being a Fishman fan, have you tried any of their Loudbox amps? If not, you should check 'em out. I've seen more of them onstage with pros than any of the others you listed. Just saw Cheryl Crow with two of 'em recently. I believe she could afford to buy any of the others as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=Side Man;1597143]No offense taken on the China remark. Looking around my living room, I see a Sony HDTV, Panasonic DVD recorder, Canon digital camera and Motorola cellphone - all made in China.

And how can you call yourself an audio snob if you haven't yet tried any of the amps you listed, yet go by what others say on these forums is the "holy grail". Like my grandfather used to say, "if somebody told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?". I've said it before and here goes again: sound is subjective... I wish I had a dollar for every "greatest ______ ever" I've read on these forums.

Take the time to do the listening yourself and don't base your decision on what a bunch of people with way too much time on their hands (myself included) tell you to buy.

As for the comment about being a Fishman fan, have you tried any of their Loudbox amps? If not, you should check 'em out. I've seen more of them onstage with pros than any of the others you listed. Just saw Cheryl Crow with two of 'em recently. I believe she could afford to buy any of the others as well.[/QUOTE

Just getting in to the whole mini PA thing..My main PA stuff is tops..I live in Alaska so there isn't anywhere to try those Amps out bro. As stated, the ones I have tried, Schertler, were in Europe. I've used the Bose a bunch up here and around the country. Chinese made Musical gear is inferior FOR THE MOST PART because they use cost cutting techiques and materials in the manufacturing process. I'm not aware of any high end audiophile quality components coming from China at the moment but I could be wrong. It's cheap and it's good, but TOP quality is what I going for. You know full well what i'm talking about man.

I will certainly try out the Loudbox amps and compare them to AER, Schertler and Acoustic Image and if they are best, I will buy for sure! Living in AK sucks but I'm heading to LA in about 10 days before Europe and I plan to try everything out!!! hahahahaha!!..I will report my findings.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Given your "on the road" needs, a Schertler Unico would be a good choice.

There is little the Chinese cannot do. Building quality audio gear, for the most part, is not dependent on the country of origin. It is dependant on design, parts and process of manufacture. That can be done anywhere on the planet. The Chinese can kick out a populated board as good as anyone else. Now, the Chinese are not world class at designing audio products or making microphone capsules (not many folks/companies are). They can be world class with just about anything else (if their customer's so direct), and they do so at a lower price, even with the exact same specs and parts. That is changing (their prices are rising and will continue to rise).

You'd probably be surprised at how many Chinese parts (boards, metalwork, caps, resistors, transistors, wiring, etc.) are in even the most boutique/exotic gear. It doesn't matter to the boutique designers - they're fine with it, just ask them.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Given your "on the road" needs, a Schertler Unico would be a good choice.

There is little the Chinese cannot do. Building quality audio gear, for the most part, is not dependent on the country of origin. It is dependant on design, parts and process of manufacture. That can be done anywhere on the planet. The Chinese can kick out a populated board as good as anyone else. Now, the Chinese are not world class at designing audio products or making microphone capsules (not many folks/companies are). They can be world class with just about anything else (if their customer's so direct), and they do so at a lower price, even with the exact same specs and parts. That is changing (their prices are rising and will continue to rise).

You'd probably be surprised at how many Chinese parts (boards, metalwork, caps, resistors, transistors, wiring, etc.) are in even the most boutique/exotic gear. It doesn't matter to the boutique designers - they're fine with it, just ask them.
Very true. Low and is low and Mid level is mid level and Higher end is higher end gear no matter where it's put together.

Yea that UNICO is nice for sure but I don't need as many channels and I have read reports that it's not loud enough for some gigs that the AER's are twice as loud and the Acoustic Image has even more headroom which stands to reason given the wattage. Going to try to find a place that has all of them when i'm down in Los Angeles in about 10 days or so.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Image Corus is probably the one you want to check out. It would be my choice among the Contra, Coda and Corus because it is designed more for an acoustic guitar (the others lean towards bass guitar).

As to the AER products, the Compact 60 is nice, and produces quite a nice sound, but in my limited experience (a local dealer carries AER, Schertler and Acoustic Image), the Unico has more throw weight and better dispersion. The David is quite nice too.

The Fishman Loudbox Performer is very good too - good features and sound.

I've been looking for a small portable amp to use when my mini-PA is overkill. For solo fingerstyle, the Unico has been at the top of my list, although I decided to wait for the Baggs A-REF and (now) the Fishman Soloamp before making any final decision. I briefly tried the A-REF at a store with two of their guitars, neither of which had the dual source combination I use. Pretty nice, but I need to check it out further. The Soloamp is just being released, so I haven't tried that one yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM

So Ray, you've actually played the Acoustic Image Amps and compared them to the Schertler, an.d AER? I wish I could find other's who have so I can get some comparisons and reviews. It would be tough to chance it and buy one sight on seen or heard but it might be great. When I go to LA next week I will find and try out as many of the 3 that I can although I already know I like the Unico
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yea that UNICO is nice for sure but I don't need as many channels and I have read reports that it's not loud enough for some gigs that the AER's are twice as loud and the Acoustic Image has even more headroom which stands to reason given the wattage. Going to try to find a place that has all of them when i'm down in Los Angeles in about 10 days or so.
I've heard other people play through the AI Clarus (mostly jazz guys) and they all sounded really great.

I love my Unico
Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So Ray, you've actually played the Acoustic Image Amps and compared them to the Schertler, an.d AER? I wish I could find other's who have so I can get some comparisons and reviews. It would be tough to chance it and buy one sight on seen or heard but it might be great. When I go to LA next week I will find and try out as many of the 3 that I can although I already know I like the Unico
Yeah, I've played many models from all three brands (AI, Schertler and AER), using one or another of my own guitars over the past many years. They're all very good amps. In a way, any of them would do just fine. And yes, I've played all three brands side by side, A/B/C, a few times. Another plus is that each brand has mathing powered extension speakers for some of thier models, which would allow for mini-PA like expansion. For my intended and limited uses - solo fingerstyle with a SBT and internal or external condenser mic, the Unico is currently top on the list. But that might change once I get a chance to fully evaluate the Baggs A-REF and the Fishman Soloamp. We'll see.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Steve, what are ya using for a PA these days?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification