The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Default 12 string tuning in 3rds to achieve harmony

I was just reading an article on Jimmy Bryant that had a brief description of how he achieved a unique sound from his 12 string guitar on the 1954 recording of "Stratoshpere Boogie" (he played a Stratosphere Twin double neck electric guitar with a 12 and 6 string neck).

The tuning of the 12 string was in thirds - its courses tuned E/G, A/C, D/F, etc., low to high to achieve a "twin guitar" sound. This sound was described as sounding like overdubbed guitars in harmony.

Has anyone ever tried this tuning? Does anyone with a 12 string guitar, acoustic or electric, want to try this tuning and share a brief recording comparing a standard tuning and the tuning in 3rds?

This is rather intriguing... thoughts?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 PM

I've tried it in fifths but not thirds. I figured it was a way you could outdo piano players with their ten voices. Anyway, it sounded pretty cool.......the V chord has to be suspended though.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM

John,

Thanks for the comment on the tuning.

- - -

Has anyone else ever tried this? Does anyone want to try it and let us folks without 12 strings know how it sounded?

Thanks!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Tryin' to figure it out

I'm with John in that I've fooled around with a 12 tuned in 5ths. Also, you might want to check out "Icefire" on Pat Metheny's "Watercolors" album. It's an electric 12-string solo with the strings pairs tuned in 4ths and probably 5ths. Really beautiful!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Hi Steve...
Here's an interesting article/document on Jazz tuning a guitar in thirds for easier solo playing (not a 12 string & not for folk-chord playing).
Tuning in thirds - click

Many have experimented with altered tunings to achieve effects or textures.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell