The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
SpruceTop,

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. I feel so fortunate to have the AGF community so willing to provide useful information. I personally find that a lot of the pickup manufacturers out there, especially the more boutique/smaller companies; really lack sufficient enough info on their products. I think the overall lack of videos on the Trance Amulet hurt its overall appeal. The ones that I have seen tend to be of poor quality or only showcase how the pickup sounds with finger picking.

Maury did some great videos of the Trance, which I really appreciate. The problem is that I find that the pickup has an odd mid range style characteristic that makes single notes sound a little electric. I feel as though it's the type of pickup that needs to be heard in person.

The other issue is that a lot of the prominent users of the Amulet often use an external mic or magnetic pickup. It's almost as though the Trance Amulet alone does not give enough of a natural and full sound. You are also limited by the fact that you can't add a second source to it without removing one of the transducers from the equation.

I would love to hear this pickup in person, especially with a bit more aggressive strumming. I did call Gary and he was such a nice and helpful person to deal with. I was tempted to just order the pickup based on how kind and helpful he was with me.
Gary Hull, the owner of Trance Audio, is a great representative for his company! I've talked to him on the phone for well over an hour on two occasions and I'll bet I could have kept him on longer! Also, the time I requested extra adhesive mounting kits, Trance was right there for me with no questions asked other than how many. Great customer service!

It can be an iffy situation when deciding what to install in a guitar for amplification. After I installed my first Trance system, within an hour I called Gary to order another system for another installation. Of course, the Trance systems are single source although the Trance stereo system can accept a UST or magnetic system but, as you mentioned, it would mean removing one of the Amulet pickups to free an input for a second type of source. For me, I like the sound of just the Trance by itself and feel I don't need to add anything else to it to get a really good amplified acoustic tone. The single-source Taylor ES2 is similar in this regard.

I'm glad you've found what I've posted informative and I hope it helps you in deciding what system to go with in your amplified tone quest.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I am no expert by any means but have been on a similar quest and have come to the conclusion that the best sounding pickups have a mic in the mix. I just put a K&K Trinity Pro into my Slope Dred and have been floored by the awesome sound that the small condenser mic produces. You blend the two sources and have to EQ each with their preamp. I have had no feedback issue in a praise band setting yet, and your venues seem fairly tame. I have one instrument with a Fishman Aura Pro that has 4 tailored images. That system is quite goods as well and is a good simulation of adding a little air with great feedback resistance. But the real mic I think is superior. Fishman images are tailored for their UST pickups so doubt it will be good with a Amulet?
Doubleneck, thanks. Since I posted as the OP on this thread I'll been able to gather some additional information. I found an old buddy of mine I used to play with, and he swears by the Fishman unit. However, several have stated in this thread that it's not a good match for the Trance Audio Amulet. I'm guessing this is because the Amulet is an analog system, not digital. I am MUCH MORE attracted to the Amulet for this reason.

I played in my praise band this morning with my Epiphone AJ-500M that has a B-Band onboard. It sounded pretty good, as far as I could tell.

I've heard good things overall about that K&K system with the internal mic. However, others have stated they had major feedback issues in many settings. I don't know; I'm just reporting what I hear.

Thanks!

CL
Old 03-15-2015, 07:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary Hull, the owner of Trance Audio, is a great representative for his company! I've talked to him on the phone for well over an hour on two occasions and I'll bet I could have kept him on longer! Also, the time I requested extra adhesive mounting kits, Trance was right there for me with no questions asked other than how many. Great customer service!

It can be an iffy situation when deciding what to install in a guitar for amplification. After I installed my first Trance system, within an hour I called Gary to order another system for another installation. Of course, the Trance systems are single source although the Trance stereo system can accept a UST or magnetic system but, as you mentioned, it would mean removing one of the Amulet pickups to free an input for a second type of source. For me, I like the sound of just the Trance by itself and feel I don't need to add anything else to it to get a really good amplified acoustic tone. The single-source Taylor ES2 is similar in this regard.

I'm glad you've found what I've posted informative and I hope it helps you in deciding what system to go with in your amplified tone quest.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Spruce, thanks again for all the info. Isn't Gary a member here? Seems I've seen him posting in here from time to time when people had questions on the Trance Audio products. I tried to look up his name under Members, but it didn't come up. Perhaps he's using a username.

Thanks, though. I'll call Gary when I get closer to ordering.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Spruce, thanks again for all the info. Isn't Gary a member here? Seems I've seen him posting in here from time to time when people had questions on the Trance Audio products. I tried to look up his name under Members, but it didn't come up. Perhaps he's using a username.

Thanks, though. I'll call Gary when I get closer to ordering.
Gary Hull has posted to a few threads. To look up these posts, search his username:TranceAudioInc

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-16-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary Hull has posted to a few threads. To look up these posts, search his username:TranceAudioInc

Regards,

SpruceTop
Spruce, thanks, I'll do that when I have a spare moment.

Appreciate It,
CL
Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Charmed: I had a Trance Mono in a Gibson SJ that I recently sold to finance a Gibson Legend. Loved that pickup, just stunning all around. Wanted tp put one in the Legend, but its bridge plate isn't wide enough. So take a peak under the hood and make sure you have enough area, then you are good to go ! Again just love the Trance had a stereo in a Gibson Jackson Browne model - loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrlrZlLUAY
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
Charmed: I had a Trance Mono in a Gibson SJ that I recently sold to finance a Gibson Legend. Loved that pickup, just stunning all around. Wanted tp put one in the Legend, but its bridge plate isn't wide enough. So take a peak under the hood and make sure you have enough area, then you are good to go ! Again just love the Trance had a stereo in a Gibson Jackson Browne model - loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrlrZlLUAY
Dan, thanks. I hear the same thing from everyone who's had one. They are THAT good, apparently. I also heard JB in solo concert, and all his acoustics sounded fab.

Why did you sell the the JB Gibson model? Are they as good as I've heard? I've never played one.

A couple quick questions:

1) Did you have any feedback issues ever with the Trance rig? I've heard rumors this can be an issue.

2) Did the install dampen or reduce volume at all? I can't see how it would, but someone told me this could be an issue.

Thanks again. On the run to work and will check in later....

CL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification