The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 PM

Default eq suggestions for L.R. Baggs Lyric/ Venue combo

I have a Taylor 314 I took the E.S. System out of and I installed a Lyric. Right off the bat I like it better. I have a Venue preamp going into a Schertler David. Even though it's a great improvement it still needs a little work. Looking to hear what others have done with there EQ to get the most out of it. All Ideas welcome even if they contradict each other because I'm open to experiment. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 PM

I believe I can give you suggestions but everyone's experience will vary.

I currently use a Taylor BTO GS with cocobolo and adi. It may be one of the more difficult combinations for the lyric.

First you got to try and match your presence knob with the natural sound of the treble strings. It is better to let the Venue do the heavy lifting. If the resulting tone seems boxy, hollow or overly honky, you might want to experiment with an alternative position of the Lyric. If it comes to that, you can call Baggs and have them send you extra double sided tape nd a diagram for positioning the Lyric on the treble side of the bridge plate.

You may have arrived at the conclusion that my experience has been just as I described. I also have the lyric in a Taylor 310 that hasn't had that issue to the same degree. I also had the Lyric briefly in a GS MINI.

I have cranked the presence knob quite a bit. I have cut a lot of ground between 200 and 800hz depending. I have also boosted and reduced the bass knob depending on the situation. I have also boosted the 2.5khz a bit a time or two.

Generally, I found that regular 3 band EQ on boards and amps to be fairly ineffective due to its intended purpose to cut the quack out of piezos.

The presence knob is very touchy. A little goes a long way. I have set mine to 50-60% of the way. Others claim to have to crank it all the way up or down.

My sound guys at church love it. I love it through my Bose L1 and Schertler Unico. I hate it through the monitors at church. (But that goes for anything I tried through those monitors). It doesn't give me a thumpy bass that I really want when I play DADGAD fingerstyle stuff. It is natural and pleasing though.

Good luck and us know how things go.

Sent from my iPhone
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification