The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Default best performance mics for acoustic in different price ranges

What are the best mics to amplify an acoustic guitar (excluding pickups) in various price ranges, using a relatively high quality combo amp, say a Henriksen Bud, but not a pa system?

In the $100-$200 range

In the $200 - $500 range

$500 - $1000 range

Above $1000

And, is the quality substantially different in tone to justify cost as you get to the higher end? (I realize this is subjective. Just looking for opinions.) Not looking for a voice mic, only for acoustic steel string amplification.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 AM

100-200:

Audix F9
AKG C430

200-500:

AMT 404
Shure SM81
Shure KSM137

500-1000

Neumann K184
AKG C480B/CK61
AMT S15GS
DPA VO4099G

1000+

Sennheiser MKH40
Schoeps CMC6 MK4

It's not just the mic, it's the rest of your signal chain. Not much use in putting a great element in front of your guitar unless you're going to put a good mixer and speakers on the other end. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
100-200:

Audix F9
AKG C430

200-500:

AMT 404
Shure SM81
Shure KSM137

500-1000

Neumann K184
AKG C480B/CK61
AMT S15GS
DPA VO4099G

1000+

Sennheiser MKH40
Schoeps CMC6 MK4

It's not just the mic, it's the rest of your signal chain. Not much use in putting a great element in front of your guitar unless you're going to put a good mixer and speakers on the other end. You get what you pay for.
Thanks. . So, if I were keeping it simple, using just a high quality combo amp, I suspect that in terms of diminishing returns, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money on a mic (currently I have a Shure SM 81)....unless Im going to go the whole route with the signal chain. If I'm hearing you correctly. Is this a fairly accurate conclusion, from what you say?

Buscarino Cabaret
Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 AM

Default best performance mics for acoustic in different price ranges

The whole signal chain IS important yes, and the law of diminishing returns applies too. In other words a Neumann KM184 is a fantastic mic but not necessarily the best option in a noisy environment where your audience (and you) are not going to hear what it does, it certainly won't give you 3 x the sound quality and performance of the mikes in the $200 range. In an intimate setting with a good mixer and a top class FOH system then they certainly deliver.

I could certainly add mics to the list above in the different price ranges but I agree with dberkowiz that in a situation where you are using an amp your audience won't hear the benefits of the high end stuff.

The DPA 4099 range are probably the best all round mics in the list above, not least because they deliver a great sound and are not restricted to the guitar - buy a different mount if you need to use one on eg a violin. As it sits on the instrument you don't have to worry about moving around either as the mic moves with you!

For stand mount mics I should mention a forum favourite here: the AKG C535. The pad and low cut button is very useful for matching the mic to different situations - it rolls off the bass at 80hz (similar to the SM81) which will have no subjective effect on the sound you hear but will help avoid low frequency feedback. It's a condenser so will do a great job even at a small distance from the guitar. And they are cheaper now in real terms compared to just a few years ago.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post

The DPA 4099 range are probably the best all round mics in the list above, not least because they deliver a great sound and are not restricted to the guitar - buy a different mount if you need to use one on eg a violin. As it sits on the instrument you don't have to worry about moving around either as the mic moves with you!
I used the K&K Meridian years ago, a clip on, and it just didn't sound so good. Is the DPA much different?

Buscarino Cabaret
Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 AM

DPA make extremely good mics. If I tell you that we bought and constantly use 8 of the 4099 range and use them with various clips for various instruments, that should give you an idea of the high regard we have for them. Yes, they are very good. I used one on a nyckelharpa for the first time a week or so ago (attatching it on the side away from the player just next to her left hand and the keys) using the guitar mount and the only thing I needed to do was dial in some low cut and then I just left the eq etc alone. It sounded wonderful.

I can't compare the 4099 to the K&K Meridian as I haven't tried the Meridian, but the mounting is "gentler" on the guitar than the Meridian from what I can tell. As with all mics, especially guitar mounted, placement and patience is called for until you find the best positioning. Even then you need to be prepared to change your mind depending on the situation. But then that applies to regular mics too.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Thank you for the advice.

Buscarino Cabaret
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Thanks. . So, if I were keeping it simple, using just a high quality combo amp, I suspect that in terms of diminishing returns, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money on a mic (currently I have a Shure SM 81)....unless Im going to go the whole route with the signal chain. If I'm hearing you correctly. Is this a fairly accurate conclusion, from what you say?
That is an accurate conclusion. The SM81 is a great mix for acoustic guitar and I doubt you would hear much difference through your amp even with a much higher priced mic.

-Mike
Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 PM

What are you looking to improve? For live use, if you are not experiencing feedback issues, an SM81 through a good amp is a very good setup.

I agree that the DPA 4099 is in a different league than the K&K Meridian, but other than the convenience of having a clip-on, so is the SM81. Me, I gave up on external mics for live use (if a venue has a good soundperson, I might use one of theirs sometimes), but if I were to choose a single-source external mic, it would be the 4099 - but probably not if I already had an 81.

Last edited by jomaynor; 03-12-2015 at 02:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification