The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Blue Spruce?

I have a parlor guitar with a blue spruce top. I've not heard of this species being used on other guitars. Is it because the trees are not usually large enough, or is blue spruce generally inferior tone-wise to sitka, engleman, norway, adi, etc?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
I have a parlor guitar with a blue spruce top. I've not heard of this species being used on other guitars. Is it because the trees are not usually large enough, or is blue spruce generally inferior tone-wise to sitka, engleman, norway, adi, etc?
Yes.
Overlapping bell curves of tone.
BTW, "Norway spruce" is the same as what some folks call "German", "Italian", "European", "Swiss" spruce.
It still all "Picea abies"...ie, all the same species.

An article on the topic;
http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Yes.
Overlapping bell curves of tone.
BTW, "Norway spruce" is the same as what some folks call "German", "Italian", "European", "Swiss" spruce.
It still all "Picea abies"...ie, all the same species.

An article on the topic;
http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html
I assume that is "yes" to both questions?

I'm aware of that, so i didn't list all those other names. Here in Asheville it is fairly common (obviously introduced), and called norway spruce.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Blue Spruce is Picea pungens not abies. They sell them in the US as Christmas trees, I don't know if it grows in Europe or not. I'd also be interested if it grows big enough for guitars and how it compares tonewise to the others.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

I've heard it sounds pretty good on this one, which Mike Baranik tells me uses "Colorado blue spruce" (pic is his "black and blue" guitar - check his website for further details):
BTW - JEFF M. thanks for the link to the spruce article, fascinating stuff!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar

Last edited by Martin_Nut; 02-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Nut View Post
I've heard it sounds pretty good on this one, which Mike Baranik tells me uses "Colorado blue spruce" (pic is his "black and blue" guitar - check his website for further details):
BTW - JEFF M. thanks for the link to the spruce article, fascinating stuff!
Sure thing.
There was a LONG and heated debate about the tonal qualities of "German Spruce" over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum several years back,some folks weighing in on the subtle differences between German Spruce, Italian, European, etc. etc. etc.

Paul Hostettler, luthier, stringed instrument repair professional, weighed in and posted the link to his article.
I also love the story about how a German wood wholesaler was caught selling Engelmann Spruce harvested in North America as "German Spruce", importing the wood to Germany and then re-selling it back with the different name.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I assume that is "yes" to both questions?
Depends.
What is the actual species of spruce you are referring to?
The whole problem with colloquial names is people can be referring to different species under the same name (see the different species of wood referred to as "Brazilian" or "Madagasscar Rosewood" for an example)...or, as shown with the whole Picea albia scenario, giving different names to the same species of wood.

If it is actually the same species as "Norway spruce", ie Picea albia, then it has the ability to have the same characteristics/quality as that species.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Depends.
What is the actual species of spruce you are referring to?
The whole problem with colloquial names is people can be referring to different species under the same name (see the different species of wood referred to as "Brazilian" or "Madagasscar Rosewood" for an example)...or, as shown with the whole Picea albia scenario, giving different names to the same species of wood.

If it is actually the same species as "Norway spruce", ie Picea albia, then it has the ability to have the same characteristics/quality as that species.
No, it is blue spruce, which, which according to jeremy3220, is Picea pungens. Also know as Colorado blue spruce, the state tree of Colorado as i recall.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
No, it is blue spruce, which, which according to jeremy3220, is Picea pungens. Also know as Colorado blue spruce, the state tree of Colorado as i recall.
With that clarified, I have no experience with it.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_Nut View Post
Thanks for the reference.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM

The only person I know who has cut Colorado blue spruce for guitars is Don Musser. Stew Mac offered blue spruce guitar tops for a short period. It is very similar to Engelmann, and Bruce Harvie has said in the past that blue spruce has often been cut and marketed as Engelmann. It has a much smaller range than Engelmann, but is widely planted in yards. Just like red spruce, the name comes from the outward appearance of the tree, not the wood itself.
Here is a seller on Ebay who is cutting blue spruce for archtop instruments:
http://stores.ebay.com/Simeon-Chambe...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM

I did not know that blue spruce could be used as a guitar top, I've always liked Sitka spruce. But, now I have a Large Tonewood tree growing in my back yard
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 AM

I commissioned a lovely guitar by noted solo builder Harvey Leach with a Blue Spruce top/walnut b&S years ago.

http://www.leachguitars.com/

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 AM

There is only one blue spruce I know of: Picea pungens. Picea Abies does not sell under 'blue spruce'

John Arnold beat me to the punch again- Don Musser is the main source of instrument blue spruce

Interestingly there is also a Black spruce...

Terence
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhan View Post
There is only one blue spruce I know of: Picea pungens. Picea Abies does not sell under 'blue spruce'

Terence
I think we're all in agreement there. The discussions about Picea abies were off on a tangent.

In any case, only a couple of people addressed my question about why blue spruce is so seldom used for guitar tops. My guess from these comments is that the following are the reasons, in order of importance:

1. Its range is much smaller than sitka or englemann, so it is less common.

2. The trees typically don't get as large.

3. The tone is not significantly better than more common species, and maybe is actually worse?

4. Tradition argues against it.

Last edited by rlgph; 02-26-2009 at 10:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion