The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Hi SunnyDee. What you describe is actually what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m terrible at memorization, and would never try to memorize that whole chord chart mattbn73 posted.

Does it sound like I’m approaching this in a reasonable way? Or am I simply expectorating into a brisk breeze.
Sounds like you are doing really well. Me, too, the memorization thing - that's why I've worked so hard to understand the system, because memorizing it was clearly not happening.

One thing that might help you see the pattern in the chords you are seeing with the scale degrees you are learning is to realize that all the barre chords, E-shapes, A-shapes, and D-shapes have the voicing (order of notes) the same: 1, 5, 8, 3 then repeat 5 8 if there are more strings.

The G shape, C shape (and the 4-string F under the open C) have the order 1, 3, 5, 8, then repeat 3, 8 if more strings.

So, most of the shapes will only have one 3rd and it will be the 4th string from the lowest note. The G, C, and little F only have one 5th and it's the third string from the lowest. Take a look at the chord shapes with this idea and it seems less chaotic.

http://www.dee.email/OPEN/voicing.jpg

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cks View Post
Yes, intervals are great. Really they are the foundation of music. And what's cool is that you can also transfer it to other instruments too.

My parents have a piano at their place so I decided to try and play a bit. Of course I sucked, but because I understood intervals I was able to figure out how to build chords on the piano even though I've never played a piano before.
My original goal was exactly this. To be able to pick up any instrument and know what to do with it (generally) because I could apply the fundamentals of music to it.

Yes, it's all about intervals.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
This weekend I'll be leading my workshop on triads at an annual retreat that the phila folk song society runs - if you need something to do send me a PM for the event details.
how was the workshop by the way?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbn73 View Post
how was the workshop by the way?
It was great, thanks!

I had a newbie whose lightbulb went on full 150 watts. It only takes one to make the effort worthwhile!

In addition, I had a return student who had self assigned homework for me to check, and had completed the homework and was prepared to show off!

ANother newbie got to about 25w of enlightenment, and might be back next year.

A fourth person sat in to see if they would learn something they didn't already know; they didn't, but ended up helping the newbies along.

It's a really interactive session and it's hard not to get something out of it, even if just satisfaction watching someone else advance a little more.

Thanks for asking!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
It was great, thanks!

I had a newbie whose lightbulb went on full 150 watts. It only takes one to make the effort worthwhile!

In addition, I had a return student who had self assigned homework for me to check, and had completed the homework and was prepared to show off!

ANother newbie got to about 25w of enlightenment, and might be back next year.

A fourth person sat in to see if they would learn something they didn't already know; they didn't, but ended up helping the newbies along.

It's a really interactive session and it's hard not to get something out of it, even if just satisfaction watching someone else advance a little more.

Thanks for asking!
That's great. The group dynamic is always such an interesting thing. I'm always surprised at how well things can work even with different levels of players and such. The group itself is a very real force, and the value of the social aspect is easy to underestimate if you're primarily focused on results. Glad it went well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write