The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Cocobologist

Default Strat Players - What P'Ups?

Just grabbed an American Standard Strat on eBay which is winging its way to the frosty midwest. I had a MIM Strat a couple years ago that I sold to by my first Taylor, and had installed Texas Specials for a little extra growl in the bridge. I'm now thinking about possible upgrades to the standard p'ups that are in the new one.

Of you Strat players, what are your opinions of the different pickups that are available - Lace, Vintage Noiseless, Duncans, etc... What are your preferred and why?

BTW, here are a couple pics of the new baby...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-24-2003, 09:56 PM

Nice Strat Dave.

I have the standard pickups on my Ameri Strat and am pretty happy with them.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 PM

Dave:

Nice looking Strat! Great sunburst and excellent wood grain.

I have a few Strats. All but two have the standard pickups. I have a 35th Anniversary Strat with Lace Sensor pickups. They sound nice. My 1980 strat (before the company changed hands and became a good manufacturer again) has a Dimarzio Fat Strat in the lead pickup. Unbelievable distortion, but one dimensional.

There are so many good replacement pickups, it's hard to choose.

Good luck and happy playing - Rodger
Old 02-24-2003, 11:14 PM

Hey Gutch,

Nice Axe - congratulations. Mine looks exactly the same sans deluxe case. As for p/u's, I have no idea. I'm an acoustic guy so I just bought the Standard American Strat, not knowing what p/u options there were. I'll be checking out this thread to pick up some tips.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:25 AM

Gutch-

How's it goin' bro. I've played many, many Strats. I've got three Tele's but just one Strat, a Clapton model in Pewter. It's from '92 when they first came out. It has the Lace Sensor Golds(Reds are high distortion, Blues are mellow warmth with not as much punch as the Golds) which are very warm and fuzzy, get good distortion but are also very clean with a slightly dark flavor. I love them. They've got a great range of tone.

The new Vintage Noiseless pickups are spectacular. They've got tremendous tone and are quite versatile. It's also amazing how quiet they really are. They're a bit punchy for me, but not out of the range for "The true Strat sound". The only thing is I'm not sure if the Vintage Noiseless come in plain white. I think they come in black, mint, and creme, but I could be wrong.

I don't think you could go wrong with either set. They don't put Lace Sensor Golds on their guitars anymore but the current Clapton model has the Vintage Noiseless so if you go try one out, just make sure the middle tone knob is at 5, it has a middle detent in the pot as it's a mid-boost/cut tone pot.

Hope this helps!
-Mike A.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:46 PM

Hey Gutch, congrats on a beautiful guit.
I've got a 91' just like it, although I think your woodgrain has more character than mine. I upgraded to lace sensur golds when I bought and have been very happy with them. Afraid I haven't kept up with technology so I can't comment on what's hot and what's not. I do know that Whatever you do, you're gonna love this instrument. It's a keeper.
01 455ce, XXRS #80, P Bass
Old 02-25-2003, 09:39 PM
.tom the übergeek

OK, hate to take a whiz on the fire here but I have never heard a noiseless pickup that had the "strat tone". There are many that are similar but none that truly capture that vibe. I think the noise is part of the tone.

I love my Texas Specials. If I get time, I will post my Mark Knopfler impression...my playing is rancid but my tone is dead on!!!!

The Duncan Antiquities are very nice too if you want to go outside the Fender canopy....however, I own an Anderson and have played many überstrats and none of them have out Fendered Fender. Many make a better guitar but none of them out-do that certain mix of things. I would stick with Fender brand pickups IF you are looking for a traditional Fender tone like Mark Knopfler or you name the strat playing artist.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:46 AM

Two of my three Strats have the stock pickups. I've never been big on "mods", although I have put Lace Sensors in my '90 American Standard. I'm getting ready to go back to stocks on that one, though, as well, just for something different.

Since yours is MIM, though, the pickups are somewha different. They're made in Corona, but I believe a different gauge wire is used, and I believe that the number of wraps are different than on the standard "American" pickups. Hence, tone will be somewhat different.

Does that case come with the guitar? A brown tolex case? NICE SCORE! "Excalibur" (my Sunburst '90, Rosewood board) resides in one of those...

Steve

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 09:16 AM

Nice strat!

I have a 2002 with the Delta Tone system and I'm very happy with the stock pickups.

For a strat, If I were to check out replacements, I would look into Joe Bardens and Fraylins. If you wanted to stay with Fender, I heard some good things about the Fender Custom Shop fat 50's.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor Poor
Nice strat!

I have a 2002 with the Delta Tone system and I'm very happy with the stock pickups.

For a strat, If I were to check out replacements, I would look into Joe Bardens and Fraylins. If you wanted to stay with Fender, I heard some good things about the Fender Custom Shop fat 50's.
I had, at one time, the Fat 50's in my Strat. They were alright, I suppose, but I would probably go with Classic 54's if I were to swap them out the Lace Sensors or stocks with another pickup...

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 10:19 AM

I have owned various strats with Texas Specials, Fralin Blues Specials, Van Zandts, stock Fenders, but my personal favorite are the Rio Grande Muy Grande single coils, pretty raunchy but they will honk and quack with the best of them. I think it really depends on what kind of sound you are going for. Like somebody else mentioned, if you want to sound like a Fender, get a Fender (same with pickups too).
Old 02-26-2003, 10:56 AM
More guitars than talent

I have a 98 american strat with the stock pickups. I've made mods to my Epi and my Gibson has one pickup replaced (before I bought it). I guess I'm a purist. If it's a quality product and you bought it to get the signature tone, don't change the p'ups. Especially with my strat, I wouldn't want to lose that special spank that it has. For harder rock, I'll just play my Epi or Gibson.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 02-26-2003, 11:30 AM

Go to www.Kinman.com

I put a t set of the AVN blues in my American standard and I have been very pleased. I like the tone of the standard pups, but the Kinmans are just so much more dynamic and very vintage sounding without any noise. Since installing them I have had many comments on how great the beast sounds. I met Mr. Kinman at the NAMM show in Anaheim and tried out a couple of different pups. ALL ARE EXELLENT and he makes the best Telly replacement pups in the market in my opinion. There are several professional tone freaks that use his pups as well. Check out the sight it will tell you more than I can.

P.J.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 AM

I have EMG-SA's in mine. I replaced the whole pickguard assy with the DG-20 kit from EMG. The system has expander(treble/bass boost) and presence (mid boost ) circuits. The system sounds better that any other I have sampled(fender lace, clapton version set-up, duncans). I also have a box stock strat with no mods(2000) and the emg system still give you a"strat" voice. The mid boost is just right and can remove some of the twang from the bridge pickup. The only down side with the EMG's is the battery!

Ed
Old 02-26-2003, 11:59 AM

There are very few products I've purchased that have blown me away so much that I have to forecfully rave about them.

BILL LAWRENCE p'ups are the most incredible p'ups on the market. I was asking the same question as you a year ago when I was building my custom strat. I went to all of the forums and read the reviews on Harmony Central and I could find nothing but praise for Bill's pups as well as, his and Becky's service.

His strat pups 280's neck and middle and either a 280's or 290's (which I bought for the fatter tone) are the best I've heard and the best that most have heard gauging by the positive reviews. Of course "best" is always debateable so I'm sure many of the other posts have good suggestions as well. However, no one can compete with Bill when it comes to the low price and incredible service. At $40 a pop, these are less than half of most p'ups that don't sound nearly as good!

Go to his web site and give him a call 'cuz these things are UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billlawrence.com

PS- Sorry to be so "over the top" but everyone strat player out there owes it to themself to try a set of these.

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars