The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Hi Sam,

I have been playing for 3 years now. I started playing barre chords using CAGED system after about 6 months, mostly using Justinguitar.com as my "guru and guide".

I could make the chord shift to/between basic "E shape" barres pretty quickly with steady daily practice (a couple of months to shift in time and have a recognizable chord tone), but it took much longer (6 months?) to start getting really CLEAN chords. I have now been playing barres in a variety of music styles for 2.5 years, at least 1 hour per day (often 2-3 hours) and I am still working on getting better. Now play many barre shapes with reasonable proficiency, maybe 30 or 40, all CAGED plus many others.

It takes patience and belief that you can do it. There are times (days, weeks, months) where I feel like I have reached the limit of my ability. Then, whamo, another break thru. Believe me, with my arthritic hands, slow twitch muscle fiber, and complete lack of natural talent... if I can do it, anyone can... just takes a lot of work.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
barre, beginner, chords, progression, song