The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Setup for DADGAD + Standard Tuning

If I play both DADGAD and standard tuning on a particular guitar 50/50, which would be the best setup for the "health" of the guitar? (Cedar top) I know alot of you will reply to buy another guitar, but that's not really an option right now.

Light Strings setup for DADGAD
Light Strings setup for standard
DADGAD Strings setup for DADGAD (13-17-24-32-42-56)
DADGAD Strings setup for standard (13-17-24-32-42-56)

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I think alot of people are misunderstanding my question. I'm not asking what kind of strings to put on this particular guitar.
I'm asking what kind of strings to put on the guitar AND if the guitar should be setup in standard or DADGAD with the recommended strings. Setup as in taking the guitar into the shop for truss rod adjustment, intonation, and possible saddle adjustments.

Last edited by t1m; 04-12-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 PM

The True/New medium type sets work great for both standard and DADGAD. I've come to prefer them for standard.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
The True/New medium type sets work great for both standard and DADGAD. I've come to prefer them for standard.
are you setting up the guitar with true/new mediums IN standard tuning or DADGAD? as in when you take it to the shop for truss rod + intonation tweak are they setting the guitar up in standard or DADGAD tuning.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Please consider a Bluegrass set (light top, medium bottom).

*everything* is a tone control
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1m View Post
are you setting up the guitar with true/new mediums IN standard tuning or DADGAD? as in when you take it to the shop for truss rod + intonation tweak are they setting the guitar up in standard or DADGAD tuning.
I set it up in standard tuning, with the knowledge that I'd be going into DADGAD. I'm not a huge fan of ultra-low action, so it isn't an issue for me.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Please consider a Bluegrass set (light top, medium bottom).
For my playing, it is much more important to have the extra thickness on top. A .012" and a .016" get really loose when tuned down a step.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM

On guitarvideos.com whenever the guys like Stefan Grossman, Fred Sokolow, or Woody Mann down-tune to open D, open G, or dropped D, they simply tune down whatever they already have on the guitar, and I do know that Stefan Grossman uses standard lights - 12-53 D'Aaddarios. If you've just got one guitar and you normally use lights, then I would use those and down-tune when you need to. My feeling is that you're better to be a bit too light with a guitar than too heavy for sheer playability. Even medium lights, 12.5 - 55, in standard can really take it out on your fingers.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I set it up in standard tuning, with the knowledge that I'd be going into DADGAD. I'm not a huge fan of ultra-low action, so it isn't an issue for me.
Thanks for the clarification Bryan. I currently have a dread w/ mediums on them and it is kind of annoying when I tune down and have all the strings w/ unfamiliar and uneven tensions. I'm getting a cedar top soon and it will become my main guitar so I'm just asking in advance to figure out how to get it setup initially.

I've never used new/true mediums before, but do you find that the string tension on these sets stay more uniformed when you tune down? Does it feel any different in standard?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I'm getting a cedar top soon and it will become my main guitar so I'm just asking in advance to figure out how to get it setup initially.
What are you getting? I play a Lowden O25.

Quote:
I've never used new/true mediums before, but do you find that the string tension on these sets stay more uniformed when you tune down? Does it feel any different in standard?
The tension is actually better balanced in standard tuning compared to a normal set of lights. The heavier strings definitely handle tuning down better than a 'normal' set. If you do a lot of bending, you'll probably notice a difference. Otherwise, you'll just notice the benefits - better intonation, fuller tone, etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
On guitarvideos.com whenever the guys like Stefan Grossman, Fred Sokolow, or Woody Mann down-tune to open D, open G, or dropped D, they simply tune down whatever they already have on the guitar, and I do know that Stefan Grossman uses standard lights - 12-53 D'Aaddarios. If you've just got one guitar and you normally use lights, then I would use those and down-tune when you need to. My feeling is that you're better to be a bit too light with a guitar than too heavy for sheer playability. Even medium lights, 12.5 - 55, in standard can really take it out on your fingers.
I'm not too worried about high string gauges because I've been playing a dread w/ mediums for about 3 years now. Its actually kinda funny because my callouses on my left hand have developed into this super hard leathery plate that's actually kinda embedded under the top layer of skin. When I play my electric, I don't really even feel the strings and can do crazy bends with little effort.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
What are you getting? I play a Lowden O25.
ahhh...a cousin of your O25 - mcilroy a25c
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
ahhh...a cousin of your O25 - mcilroy a25c
Sweet!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 AM

I use a set of 13-56 80/20 bronzes, I play in standard, DADGAD, even CGDGAD. The guitar was set up for standard, but this works fine for me. CGDGAD is a little bit low though (low C especially), but DADGAD won't be much of a problem I'd say.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Cedar tends to be softer than spruce, so many are not designed to handle the tension of medium strings - check with your builder.

My guitars are all intonated for standard tuning. This does mean that the bass notes tend to fret a little sharp in dropped tunings. I get round this by fine tuning the low D or C depending on the particular song - depending on the key the song is in, some rely more on a perfectly tuned open string, some more on a particular fretted note. Not perfect, but it works quite well.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM

My experience only: I've a McIlroy A25c that now resides in a C-tuning. When I previously kept it in DADGAD, I never noticed a problem with .012-.054 sets.

My suggestion: Write Dermot McIlroy and ask what he suggests. You'll hardly be the first person he's encountered who's using one of his guitars in DADGAD, and Dermot is always friendly and quick to respond. But he does brace his tops quite lightly, and while I'd love to say that that the top/bridge ought to hold up under a .056 in low-E (we're not talkin' a Martin here), I wouldn't risk it myself. But Dermot is obviously the expert; go to the McIlroy site and shoot him an e-mail -- and then please report back here with your findings, just because I'm curious!

Btw, these McIlroy guitars are amazing! Congrats (and good on you for the wisdom to buy one) on your planned purchase...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion