The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Default Where is the Martin mecca in the Southeast?

I'm from Birmingham, AL. I am on a quest for the best "one stop shop" in the southeast to browse, play, and buy a Martin guitar.

I'm not exactly sure what model I'm looking for. I'll know it when I play it. Could be anything from a parlor to a dread, so I'm looking for a shop that has the most varied selection where I can try a large variety of guitars.

We have a few shops in B'ham but nothing with a large selection of different models.

So give me your can't miss shops so I can make a pilgrimage to find the one!

tcb
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM

I've never been there, but I have heard nothing but good things about 'My Favorite Guitars' in Naples Florida.

I know they have a big variety of Martins, and do a lot of custom batch orders that they order special and have there at the store.

Gruhns in Nashville is great too, just call ahead if you are serious and they will take great care of you.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Actually, one of the most complete and impressive overall selections of high-end guitars I've seen in any shop was at the Guitar Center at the Druid Hills Road exit in Atlanta. Superior selection to almost any GC you've ever seen. They have a little bit of everything, new, used, vintage.

In Raleigh, NC, Harry's Guitar Shop has a nice wide selection of Martin, Taylor, Eastman, Seagull in stock.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta usually has a good number of nicer Martins as well. I bought my 000-18GE there.

However, if I were in your shoes I'd head to Nashville. Between Gruhn, Cotten, GC Gallery, Artisan, etc. you have a lot of choices. If you can't find what you're looking for there, it probably doesn't exist.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM

If you go to Artisan Guitars in Nashville, be prepared...Martin is their low end brand....really nice guitars.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
If you go to Artisan Guitars in Nashville, be prepared...Martin is their low end brand....really nice guitars.
+1 for Artisan. Wonderful people to work with and a great place to hang out for a day.

I live in the Huntsville area (Madison) and just learned that the only long-standing Martin dealer in the area just lost their dealership. Strange since they've been a Martin dealer as long as I can remember...and the largest in the area with two walls of Martins. Loved spending a day there. I'd imagine GC entering into the picture has had an effect. What a shame.

Do you absolutely HAVE to have a Martin and nothing else? I've always liked Martin and still own two, but there are lots of other excellent and often better choices out there.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

My office is literally across the street from the aforementioned N. Druid Hills GC in Atlanta. So, yeah, I stop in frequently ;-) They keep the low-to-mid level Martins at arms reach, and hang the higher end guitars up high to keep the shopwear down. Vintage room has some cool finds too.

That said, I might have to second the suggestion to make the voyage to Nashville for Cotten, Artisan, Gruhn and Guitar Gallery (not too far away). It's the closest we have to guitar mecca here in the South. I think the sales tax is pretty steep up there, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion