The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitars I fell out of love with (do you have any?)

I found it interesting how much I loved certain guitars at first but then quickly fell out of love with them. No criticism of the guitars themselves, they just didn't work for me.

So, I went through a series of Martin 15's. Loved the sound of these and the lightweight airy feel of playing them. I fell out of love with the full scale length and narrow nut. Tried three times. Was so excited each time. Great guitars but I just fell out of love with those dimensions each time.

I had a Gibson Les Paul Junior Deluxe Humbucker which was fabulous except I couldn't play on jumbo frets. All my electric playing is from 80's-era "fast frets" and I just couldn't adapt. Loved this guitar so much but I couldn't play it. Would love to get the same deal but with teeny tiny frets.

Taylor SB1 solid body electric. I loved, loved, loved the feel of this - it was like playing my favorite guitar (a Taylor GC). But the pickups got really noisy and I fell out of love with the noisy pickguard covered chamber. The nagging concern about the weak bridge was in the back of my mind too.

Taylor GS Mini. Again I loved this guitar but the tiny fingerboard was just too cramped for me to justify couch playing this instead of my GC.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 03-20-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 AM

I have a Composite Acoustics Cargo... So unique! Such a cool story! So good looking! But... I never play it. It just doesn’t have a spark for me anymore...
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 AM

My former Eastman E20D.
Great guitar, Rosewood ain't my thing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 AM

I had an ESP Ltd guitar (forget the exact model) which I loved playing but I just couldn't get used to the floyd rose floating trem. When restringing the high E would always pop out when bringing the string up to tension. Eventually I lost all confidence in it and traded it for an ESP Ltd Hybrid-300 with no trem.

The pointy headstock was great for jabbing the singer with on stage though.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 AM

I fell out of love with just about every dred.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely. I learned to never say a keeper, no matter how much I love the sound.
In fact I recently got a Furch D25SR. It is the flag ship of the Furch millennium series. When I first played it I was blown away. The sound was everything i wanted in a guitar. It has now been a little over a month and I am finding it hard to adjust to the 1 3/4 nut...arggggg. So, as much as I love the sound it will be up for sale sometime within the next 24 hours.

The plus side is just received a Furch D34. It sounds almost exactly like the D24 but has the 1 1/16 nut.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Taylor GS Mini for me as well. Loved the size, the sound, and the look and feel of the guitar - felt it would be a great learner and traveler guitar and I really was impressed by the sound and volume from it. But after a few weeks I just could not get used to the cramped fingerboard - my large hands simply didn't work. Bummed me out but I sold it.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Happens all the time with me. When I fall out of "love" with one I just put it back in its case and leave it for a few months. When I pull it back out it's like getting a new guitar. If this trick stops working after a while, I contemplate selling. Then if that happens for long enough, I sell. Works for me.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 AM

For me, it's been electric guitars in general that I've fallen out of love with, specifically PRS. I had such a crush on PRS since I was 13 years old. I couldn't wait to finally be able to afford one. I've probably owned 15 of them over the years, and I just realized that there are better sounding electrics out there.

My PRS SC245 is not the best sounding guitar ever, and I'd LOVE to sell it for a Les Paul. However, it was signed to me from Paul on the back of the headstock, so I hate to think of letting it go.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I would have to say Larrivees. I wanted to love them and appreciated the workmanship, but just couldn’t bond....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Mbroady:
The plus side is just received a Furch D34. It sounds almost exactly like the D24 but has the 1 1/16 nut.

Dang! that's one narrow nut! You must have incredibly skinny fingers.
scott
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM

I tried to love modern j 45s but found the neck size and the string height required for max tone unkind to me, still play a gibson tho a j29, better neck for me and a nice git overall
Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Guitars I fell out of love with (do you have any?)

Not any more......

D
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Of course, I do Fazool.

Guild D55: Its D size
Martin CS-00028: nut width after playing way more hours per week than I used to and the realization that I need a wider nut.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yep...all the Taylors I’ve owned, including an 814 and 812e 12-fret. All fantastic guitars. Superb playability and craftmanship. But the Taylor tone? Ultimately not for me. I went thru a lot of fine Taylors only to discover I’m really a Martin/Gibson kinda guy...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion