The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Without a pick, I strum with both the thumb and index... thumb on the downstroke, index on the up. Been doing it that way since I started.
I usually do the opposite. Back of the fingers on the down stroke, and back of the thumb (P) for up stroke.

But also do variations like:

-Middle (M) and ring (A) finger for the down, and index (I) for up.
-Using only (I) for both down and up stroke
-Holding (P) and (I) together like a plectrum and have the down stroke on the back of my (I) and up stroke on the back of the (P)

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 AM

Yes, I use the index finger for strumming. Coming from ukulele, that's how i learned, picks aren't used for the uke. So in moving to guitar, that's what I know and am comfortable with. Besides, I don't like the sound the pick makes on the strings, not to mention, I just can't learn how to hold the darn thing without it moving all over the place.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 AM

Default pickless

The thumb does the bass notes, always downward, and the rest of the fingers stoke downward, using the nails to get a sound nearly as loud as a flatpick. I use a combination of flicking downwards and using my wrist to do this. Then the fingers return to get the thumb back in position. As they return I get sort of a "bumpity" effect. It works.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM

I would never strum a whole song without a pick, but I often use the back of my index fingernail for single chords while I'm playing fingerstyle.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
I had to actually pull out my guitar to figure out what I do... thumb on articulated bass notes, middle and ring finger on downstroke, index on upstroke. I have no idea if that is weird or not. Fingerstyle player here, started on classical, if that means anything.
Ha! Same here. I have a rather relaxed hand and use index and middle fingers for downstrokes, and thumb for upstrokes. Just index if I'm doing a little picking. I actually really like the warm sound of this!
scott
Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I usually do the opposite. Back of the fingers on the down stroke, and back of the thumb (P) for up stroke.

But also do variations like:

-Middle (M) and ring (A) finger for the down, and index (I) for up.
-Using only (I) for both down and up stroke
-Holding (P) and (I) together like a plectrum and have the down stroke on the back of my (I) and up stroke on the back of the (P)
Sometimes I use the combination of my index finger nail and the tip of the pick on the downstroke and the tip of the thumb nail and my pick on the upstroke.
Weird, huh?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 AM

Never used a pick apart from trying to master it and failing many times. Always use thumb and/or index for strumming, otherwise finger picking with as many fingers as I can control!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Like others I use both, using various techniques, depending on what I'm playing.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 AM

I use thumb, index, middle and ring fingers for strumming. Thumb for bass runs and fingers strum both directions. I also use a pinching grip where I grab 4 strings at one time followed by an up or down strum. Generally used for that boom-chicka country strum. It's similar to banjo frailing I guess. Never could get used to a pick although I keep trying from time to time. I even pick out lead guitar between my thumb and index finger. I can play quicker and more accurately than with a pick. I can also control the dynamics of my playing better with just fingers. Soft to loud and back again. I would love to use a pick like Bryan Sutton or Molly Tuttle but it just isn't me.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion