The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF_AR View Post
Robert Randolph!
Indeed, I've heard this kind of thing attempted on violin and I 'imagined' that it could also be done on pedal steel.

I was right, and all it took was bravery and 'testicular fortitude'.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 03-19-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Tom Feldmann

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Tom Feldmann...maybe because he stays close to home in Minnesota?

He is a wonderful country blues player, very adept with the slide, and a music educator, too. I'm not sure how old he is but he looks young enough to merit a mention here. Check him out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tP7DqeaqYyM
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Catfish Keith...oh boy
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 PM

David Jacobs-Strain. Serious blues-roots slide work on a metal-bodies National resonator, the last time I saw him, among other guitars.
http://www.davidjacobs-strain.com/Strain/
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM

+1 on David Jacobs-Strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
David Jacobs-Strain. Serious blues-roots slide work on a metal-bodies National resonator, the last time I saw him, among other guitars.
http://www.davidjacobs-strain.com/Strain/

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM

I will second or third both Larkin Poe and Robert Randolph. Though I'm not sure if Randolph makes the age cut....
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Lowell George is still a hot young slide player in my mind. He didn't make it past 34.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane41 View Post
Catfish Keith...oh boy
I love Catfish, great player and performer, but I’m pretty sure he’s in his middle 50’s....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkn View Post
This is a great performance. I also really like the work he does with his band The Bros Landreth. Talented guy.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Check out Tom Feldmann for great country blues style slide. I think he's young although I may have started hearing about him close to a decade ago. Seems like everything on youtube by him are instructional (worth checking out) but I've seen him perform a couple of times & he's something special.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM

My thanks to everyone who posted. What i was looking for, and what most of you responded with, were younger players or players that might only be known regionally, rather than just the "who is your favorite player" answers.

I did spend some time on each of the suggestions, listening to clips of the tube of you. For example, Justin Johnson I had seen before, but I had never gotten past his "shtick" clips, where is playing slide on cigar box guitars shovel guitars, and whatnot. This time I delved deeper and found some clips where he is just playing. Awesome stuff, like this:

To jbraun the Second: personally I prefer Dobro or Lap steel as a term, as it is more of a descriptor of a technique of playing, while simply saying "resonator" does not say anything about the technique being used. After all, I play bottleneck on a Resonator too. Then again, I parse language for a living, so I am a mite particular. All that said, I love me some Lap Steel and Dobro. Andy Hall and Mike Witcher both cook with gas. So does Josh Matheny, with some great electric lap steel thrown in.

Davy Knowles plays a mean bottleneck. So does Landreth. And Jacobs-Strain.

And in the spirit of "show me yours and I'll show you mine" here are a couple people who you might not know of.

Chad Graves came to Wintergrass 4-5 years running, although it has been a few years now. Awesome player, plus a really fun guy to hang out with.

Jeff Fielder. In a town full of guitarists, Jeff is a very in demand sideman here in Seattle. He use to come in my buddy's guitar store a lot, as he lived in the neighborhood.

Roberto Luti. I came across Roberto, who is from Italy, while watching "Playing for Change" clips, a video fundraiser that had musicians from all over the world "phone in their parts." But they kept this as a solo piece:

And a group effort:

And if any mods want to fix the youtube links, please do. For some reason they never work for me...

Have a lovely evening.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion