The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Default The Best Pickup I have Played - Maton AP5-Pro

I keep talking about the fantastic pickup system in the new Maton acoustics - the Maton AP5-Pro with piezo undersaddle and condenser mic with preamp in the side of the guitar.

Here is my solo version of "Brain Damage" by Pink Floyd with the guitar plugged straight to my mixer and iMac, no other preamps or gadgets, no eq change, no reverb. My vocal is through my Neumann KM184 with reverb on the desk, so there is some spill from the guitar, but this is the best pickup sound I have played or heard direct.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/braindamage7b

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 03-15-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Nice to hear the Maton in a singer-songwriter setting as opposed to typical neo-fingerpicking stuff. Seems like it works fine for it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

* BK that does very good! ...and quite similar to Takamine's Palathetic system. I love the sound of the CT4BII in my KC70, (which I alternate with Cooltube 2).

** I think your Maton AP5 sounds much like my Tak KC CT4BII in this live "singer/songwriter" clip, despite the people talking. I'm running wireless directly into my Loudbox and a friend recorded it on her cell phone:

*** Tho my F1 Aura Plus in my Martin Retro 18 may sound more "acoustic", I prefer more the thicker tone of the Tak Palathetic CT4BII and/or Cooltube... and I would certainly be happy with the similar tone your getting with the AP5-Pro; so easy to dial in ya know!

Again nice performance BK,

eric
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM

Thanks Troggg!

Should mention that adding an AP5-Pro to any other guitars but Maton means major surgery. Nearest other pickup could be the new Fishman dual source with condenser...I have NOT played one of those yet, but I think the missing thing would be the Maton's sweepable mids - a couple of tweaks to get rid of that mid thing - I love that.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Thanks Eric, I was just replying to Troggg and your reply popped up...

Here is the blurb on the pickup - I like that it is all right in your face: volume PLUS sep vol for piezo and mic and the rest...little bit small for the old eyes but who's complaining....

https://maton.com.au/product/ap5pro-pickup

But the catch is you have to play a Maton or a Tak...

BluesKing777.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

+1 BK...and the ability to fine tune the midrange on board in a huge plus; especially in the variety of venues I play where the acoustics are all so different.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
+1 BK...and the ability to fine tune the midrange on board in a huge plus; especially in the variety of venues I play where the acoustics are all so different.

Yes, that is the best and worst part of the system! Absolutely sensational to have on board to enable plugging into any desk without lugging a row of pedals - get rid of the worst annoying 'twoiky' sound with the sweeper! But the controls are the smallest little black buttons you have ever seen, or 'not seen' actually...in the dark! But once you get it sorted, you rarely alter it unless you knock it. But you can do it by 'ear' ha ha.

It would be great to hear, for example, my old Gibson L-00 with this pickup in it, but they haven't invented a removable one to match this one...as yet.....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* BK that does very good! ...and quite similar to Takamine's Palathetic system. I love the sound of the CT4BII in my KC70, (which I alternate with Cooltube 2).

** I think your Maton AP5 sounds much like my Tak KC CT4BII in this live "singer/songwriter" clip, despite the people talking. I'm running wireless directly into my Loudbox and a friend recorded it on her cell phone:

*** Tho my F1 Aura Plus in my Martin Retro 18 may sound more "acoustic", I prefer more the thicker tone of the Tak Palathetic CT4BII and/or Cooltube... and I would certainly be happy with the similar tone your getting with the AP5-Pro; so easy to dial in ya know!

Again nice performance BK,

eric

P.S.
Nice performance of Fire, Eric - and I am sorry for sending my Better Half to the gig to talk all the way through your song! Nice that they turned the TV off for you too! But we couldn't let things be perfect, could we?

BluesKing777.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Love everything I’ve heard you share BK. You make me want to try a Maton amplified sometime. Have you ever tried a Cole Clark? I saw an impressive demo of their onboard system as well. Maybe that was you who shared it in fact?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Love everything I’ve heard you share BK. You make me want to try a Maton amplified sometime. Have you ever tried a Cole Clark? I saw an impressive demo of their onboard system as well. Maybe that was you who shared it in fact?

Thanks Gary!

I have only played the Coles when they first came out and it was a dread built like a rock and I prefer light small bodies!
I have looked online at the Coles new models and the idea of the eco wood and pickup is good, like to play one...but......I prefer bone nut and saddle and they all have Tusq. First x. Second x is that face sensor, not sure if I want that sound and it is connected in its own brace to the guitar. Third x is the pickup looks a bit ‘amateur’ In shape?. Fourth x, no sweepable mids like my Maton. Just my opinion based on video and specs, probably foolish when I get to play one!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
.....snip.....
It would be great to hear, for example, my old Gibson L-00 with this pickup in it, but they haven't invented a removable one to match this one...as yet.....

BluesKing777.
+1.....hah, I've often said similarly the same thing, wish I could put the Tak system in my D18 & 00018. Takamine even has the Palathetic pickup with preamp that isn't a barn door called the TLD-2 which sounds excellent. BUT again, it would a challenge to route & mount the Palathetic pickup in the Martin belly bridge.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
P.S.
Nice performance of Fire, Eric - and I am sorry for sending my Better Half to the gig to talk all the way through your song! Nice that they turned the TV off for you too! But we couldn't let things be perfect, could we?

BluesKing777.
Thanks BK ...well she kindly bought me a beer so it's all good LOL! Btw, I play a lot of places with TVs behind me and I know the folks are not lookin THAT intently at my mug when the game is on such a competition
Old 03-14-2018, 03:27 AM

Ha!

It is a funny old world we live in when you have an entertainer/band and you sit and watch the TV! And it happens the world over. Weird!

Oh, the new Fishman undersaddle pickup with mic could be ok......we shall see. Not on the streets yet...

BluesKing777.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
It is a funny old world we live in when you have an entertainer/band and you sit and watch the TV! And it happens the world over. Weird!

Ain't it the truth.

I bumped into your Soundcloud track yesterday BK and liked it. You coax some nice tones out of the wood.

Noledog, I've seen some of your videos also and have been impressed with your live setup, tone and playing.

You guys are both great !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 AM

Thanks Murph!

It has been gurgitated and regurgitating since I first saw Eric’s video above with the people talking all through the song and the TV left on......i have had similar in the past and it just a lack of respect, all around, isn’t it? I mean, they can’t wait til the songs over - listen how nicely Eric is singing and playing. No respect!

I aso use to see this girl singer guitarist struggling against a huge crowd talking in this bar I went to every Thursday. She was fantastic at folky versions of the hits of the day but the PA was drowned out by about 150 people talking and all these sports screens going behind her...luckily their sound was off, but you know... I would just spit it.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification