The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 08:45 AM

Default NGD - Taylor 326ce SEB

At 47 years old, it's been awhile since I've had that kid on Christmas morning feeling! Up at dawn, checked my phone and fed-ex reports the new git is on the truck and out for delivery. I'm at the window every time I hear a car outside!

Bought this one sight unseen, couldn't find one to demo locally. This will be my first Taylor and I'm stoked. Been playing a Yamaha CPX1000 after wearing out an early 90s CPX10 a few years back.

I have yet to play or hear a Taylor I didn't like so I hope this one is not going to be the exception. Anyway, I will post a full review once I am able to put it down, just had to post so I can stop staring out the window for a few minutes!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Default Oops

So stoked I posted this in the wrong forum. Well, I'll review my thoughts on the ES2!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Waiting eagerly to read your impressions...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 PM

Default It arrived!

Guitar arrived, packaging intact from Sam Ash. Unboxed it and was pleased to see it shipped in its hard shell case. (Purchased guitars before where the instrument and case shipped seperately.) It was actually double boxed, with the Taylor box inside a Sam Ash box which left enough room for the Snark and strap I'd also purchased.

First impression is the thing is gorgeous - nice grain on the mahogany top, and the Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides are really pretty. The whole thing is satin finished and pretty much flawless. Inlays are nice, white rosette and binding compliment the shaded edge burst nicely. Was surprised at how remarkably light it is. Tuned it up and played some - the tone is solid in the bass department. More than I expected with the mahogany top. No buzzing even with hard strumming. Midrange is full and present with something special in the overtones as the notes ring out. Treble is pretty subdued. I would describe the overall tone as very mellow. Sustain is better than the old Yamaha, but not exceptional. Played for hours ignoring the breakfast dishes and any other obligations. This is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, hands down. Acoustically that is..

Had to wipe it down and get ready for a gig tonight. Private party for a friend - figured it would be a good time as any to try out the new git plugged in. Sounded....OK... Need to play around with eq and such. The ES 2 is EXTREMELY hot and sensitive. Lots of percussive pick noise. Tap the top and it sounds like a cannon going off. I'm going to have to look in to adjusting the three screws on the bridge to dial it back a bit. Ok - a lot. Fingerpicking sounded fantastic though. I ran it through the same rig I use for the CPX - guitar into POD X3 ( just for FX - no amp models) into body Rez pedal into board/powered speakers. If I picked softly and was careful the sound was more than acceptable. Definitely needs some dialing in.

The bad: other than the über hotness of the pickup - action is a bit too high. I could tell mostly after playing for 3.5 hours at the gig that it's a bit harder to play than the yammy. I will have to get her setup to my taste. The biggest issue I have is the satin finish is extremely fragile. I tend to strum a little north of the sound hole and have managed to get pick marks all over the top just off the pick guard towards the neck. Ugh. The marks don't wipe off or buff out. Poor technique on my part but I like the tone you get when you strum certain parts there... Looked at the old guitars and realized that they are heavily scarred in the same area. Oh well, my guitars are tools of the trade not showpieces. I know enough about this guitar to know I'm keeping it forever any way. The only other issue is that it's a bit feedback prone in the low end, but I just need to spend a bit of time with the eq to dial that out.

Overall I'm a happy camper. Cheers!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Dave View Post
Guitar arrived, packaging intact from Sam Ash. Unboxed it and was pleased to see it shipped in its hard shell case. (Purchased guitars before where the instrument and case shipped seperately.) It was actually double boxed, with the Taylor box inside a Sam Ash box which left enough room for the Snark and strap I'd also purchased.

First impression is the thing is gorgeous - nice grain on the mahogany top, and the Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides are really pretty. The whole thing is satin finished and pretty much flawless. Inlays are nice, white rosette and binding compliment the shaded edge burst nicely. Was surprised at how remarkably light it is. Tuned it up and played some - the tone is solid in the bass department. More than I expected with the mahogany top. No buzzing even with hard strumming. Midrange is full and present with something special in the overtones as the notes ring out. Treble is pretty subdued. I would describe the overall tone as very mellow. Sustain is better than the old Yamaha, but not exceptional. Played for hours ignoring the breakfast dishes and any other obligations. This is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, hands down. Acoustically that is..

Had to wipe it down and get ready for a gig tonight. Private party for a friend - figured it would be a good time as any to try out the new git plugged in. Sounded....OK... Need to play around with eq and such. The ES 2 is EXTREMELY hot and sensitive. Lots of percussive pick noise. Tap the top and it sounds like a cannon going off. I'm going to have to look in to adjusting the three screws on the bridge to dial it back a bit. Ok - a lot. Fingerpicking sounded fantastic though. I ran it through the same rig I use for the CPX - guitar into POD X3 ( just for FX - no amp models) into body Rez pedal into board/powered speakers. If I picked softly and was careful the sound was more than acceptable. Definitely needs some dialing in.

The bad: other than the über hotness of the pickup - action is a bit too high. I could tell mostly after playing for 3.5 hours at the gig that it's a bit harder to play than the yammy. I will have to get her setup to my taste. The biggest issue I have is the satin finish is extremely fragile. I tend to strum a little north of the sound hole and have managed to get pick marks all over the top just off the pick guard towards the neck. Ugh. The marks don't wipe off or buff out. Poor technique on my part but I like the tone you get when you strum certain parts there... Looked at the old guitars and realized that they are heavily scarred in the same area. Oh well, my guitars are tools of the trade not showpieces. I know enough about this guitar to know I'm keeping it forever any way. The only other issue is that it's a bit feedback prone in the low end, but I just need to spend a bit of time with the eq to dial that out.

Overall I'm a happy camper. Cheers!
Resurrecting thread from the dead, I have read that the 326 comes with medium strings and does not sound very good with light strings. What is your experience with different strings with the 326?
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Furch Blue OM-SW
Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I’ve heard this too. Obviously medium will sound fuller but the bracing is the same so it’s not like the guitar made for specific strings. I read somewhere that 12.5’s are a nice compromise.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Congratulations on your first Taylor. Be warned Taylor’s multiply like rabbits. Last time I looked I had five and love them all.
On the setup issue. In my experience Taylor’s OEM setup is better than most manufacturers but everyone has their own preference. You can always lower action but without changing parts you cannot raise it. I recently purchased a new Rainsong. The OEM setup was unplayable. Lowered the saddle, cut the nut and now it’s one of my most playable guitars.

Try different strings, they’re cheap enough. It’s your guitar and you should find the strings that work for you.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 AM

I was actually intending to audition Martin 000-15M and the Taylor 324CE. The 324CE is not quickly available i.e. they don't know where they have placed it, so they gave me the 326CE instead. I immediately felt that the strings are thicker but not something that hurts my fingertips (I have tried to avoid medium strings on my Seagull S6 for this reason). It made me think whether to still pursue the 324CE or limit my choices to 000-15M or the 326CE.

I think I will still try the 324CE. I may like the feel more. BTW, most of the guitars I have tested in the shop seem to have higher action that what I would have like including the 326CE.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion