The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2002, 06:05 AM

Default "Wood & Steel" CD's.. ??

Looking through the TaylorWare brochure I see that there are two of the Wood & Steel CD's, showcasing various artists.......but it doesn't specify who or what 'style' of music is on either disc.

Rather than shell out $34 plus shipping for both, only to like one of them best, I thought I'd ask for opinions on which CD contains just what? Is one infinitely better than the other or is there a wide variety on each one, etc......or does anyone have a used CD of either issue for sale?

Thanks.....
Rick
Old 02-24-2002, 06:16 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Rick,
I don't have the CDs here in front of me so I can't list the artists but I Like the first CD the best. However they are both very good and once you have one you will want the other.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:09 AM

I have both CD's. While the music varies somewhat, I think that you could classify most of what's on them as "contemporary fingerstyle". Not really my cup of tea, frankly, but ...
Old 02-24-2002, 07:33 AM

Go to amazon.com and search for "wood & steel". They have both CDs, with 30 seconds sound clips of every track.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Rick,

Both CD's are terrific, but I find myself listening to W&S v1 more often.
On W&S2 there are some amazing performances by artists playing out of their normal genre - Richie Sambora and Don Was, Elliot Easton of the Cars doing an amazing "Caroline, No" and Bob Taylor on "After The Gold Rush".

W&S1 has some beautiful melodic work by more traditional acoustic players. Steve Stevens sets it on fire on a prototype nylon string - and try as he might, his rock and roll roots peek out every now and then!
The great bassist Michael Rhodes lends his fretless genius to several tracks - and his performance convinced me to buy a fretless AB2. The beautiful "Marina" with Skip Ewing and Billy Joe Walker makes my wife cry - the bass part is so emotional. Stuart Smith and Joe Lynn Turner kill on Alma D' Alma, and Doyle Dykes is Doyle Dykes.

So I guess I like both of them for different reasons, both both CD's are well-played in my home, and several family members have bought them after hearing them.

Enjoy.

Michael
Old 02-24-2002, 09:47 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Rick
I have them both and love them both. I can send you a cd copy of each. That way you can preview them and decide which one you like better. e mail me with your address.

Ron
Old 03-04-2002, 09:47 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Rick
I have them both and love them both. I can send you a cd copy of each. That way you can preview them and decide which one you like better. e mail me with your address.
Ummm... That's illegal and immoral.

Bad boy!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:59 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Well the copies I sent him were only for his preview. They can be listened to only once then they self destruct. That way he will still have to go out and spend his money. But at least he'll be able to know what he's gonna buy ! Better ???
Old 03-05-2002, 01:55 AM

Ron....
.....I was under the impression that I was to send them back to you after my decision.....oh well. They can self destruct as long as my CD player doesn't melt along with them, Mission Impossible style

Brings up a subject, though. I've bought two CD's recently based solely on reading reviews here on the forum, and without hearing any cuts from either one. One was the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, Live at Luther College. The other was Suzanne Vega's newest release.

I've enjoyed the Dave and Tim show, and though I'm not crazy about Dave's monotonous voice at all, the guitar picking is very enjoyable, especially since it's just two acoustic guitars going at it. Period.

The Suzanne Vega CD is.....well.....it's 'Ok'. I bought it hoping to hear some good acoustic guitar but have found that by the time all the other instruments chime in, the acoustic is terribly lost in the mix. I don't 'deeply' regret buying it, but, if given a second chance, I'd pass on it and save the $14. Can't take it back though, cause, for all the good folks at Best Buy know, I may love the CD and have just burned myself a copy and want my money back for the original.

Which brings up Wal-Mart. As much as I destest mingling with the mobs at our Wal-Mart 'Superstore', they have these grungy headphones mounted to these contraptions about every 10 feet, at which you can hold your CD of choice under the bar-code scanner and listen to several cuts to make a decision. I looked for the Suzanne Vega CD there but they didn't have it. Ended up getting it at Best Buy, where I couldn't listen to it first.

I can't even mentaly calculate how many CD's I've bought, sound un-heard, only to be disappointed later and never listen to them twice. I've recently become fond of used CD shopping at local flea markets. Anywhere from $1 to $3 each, so, if I don't like them, I've wasted less money than I would have on a McFat Burger.

Later.....
Rick
Old 03-05-2002, 06:17 AM

Rick,

I feel your pain. Another option is to look for clips or MP3s online. Though not always successful, sometimes you can hear snippits at sites like Amazon. And there are still Napster-clones out there.

Bob
Old 03-05-2002, 08:34 AM

I think I decided to get the wood and steel CDs just now. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:49 PM

Hey Rick--I bought the live at Luther College double CD too. Man, can Tim Reynolds pick or what! I agree with Dave's voice, but the guitar playing and musicianship completely and totally make up for any lack of message or monotony in the vocals. Thanks to Ryan for clueing me in to this album!

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification