The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E20OM, Just how good is it?

I mean compared to Martin OM21, Collings OM2H, and Larrivee OM, just how good is Eastman E20OM?

Do any of y'all use it as a primary? Or just 2nd/back up?

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 PM

No comparison IMO...
The ingredients doesn't the whole recipe make. I was intrigued by their use of all solid woods (including Red Spruce) at an obviously lesser price point and I sampled many. I dont mind the concept of over seas guitars and actually much prefer Guilds offshore offerings to Eastmans. Some Eastmans sound real good but the fit , finish and setup and attention to detail are in my experience mediocre at best and more often than not flawed. Look towards Guilds GAD series as a much more consistent alternative.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 PM

I love mine. It is my main instrument now but not the only acoustic I play. I have sold a 812, J45, and a Larrivee 00 in the past year and half. Collings OMs are great. I wouldn't trade my Eastman for the few examples of OM 21's or Larrivee OMs that I have played. Obviously all guitars are different.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:54 PM

might be in the same league as the larrivee but common. be realistic. nothing even close to the martin or collins. sorry eastman are in the same category as blue ridge. nice guitars for the money but thats all
Old 06-06-2016, 05:59 PM

I have an Eastman AC510 and a Larrivee OM-03 Custom. I think the Eastman is every bit as good as the Larrivee. I played a 1945 Martin 00028 and in my opinion the Eastman sounds very, very similar; the differences being what you might hear from 2 guitars of the same model and year. I would give the Martin neck the edge, it practically played itself, but the Eastman neck is also very comfortable.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 PM

the eastman guitars are not only fabulous instruments (for the most part) but are incredible values. no, you aren't going to be in the collings range, as far as fit, finish, or materials, but for what they offer--and at the price they offer it--they are steals. i can't compare them to larrivees. i only played a couple of them ever, and moved along. the om-21 is my second favorite martin, but the e20 om isn't light years behind, tonally, or in any way shape or form.

i've owned a few, and currently have an e10ss, and an ac420.

if this is a garbage instrument, then consider me a garbage man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KKjqCiEQ0c

go play one and see for yourself. and hopefully there will be one of the other ones you mentioned to compare it to.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I like Eastman guitars, but I would not put them in the same league as many Martins, or a Collings. Good guitars, good value and for the majority of folks, more than enough guitar.
But, very different than the others mentioned.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:49 AM

Well, it depends doesn't it?

I am not particularly drawn to either the Martin or Taylor kind of sound and I find that my E6OM sits happily in between (as does my tonal preference). Money is an issue for me but tone and responsiveness is what draws me to Eastman. I traded a Larrivee L-03W for my E6 and never regretted it.

I haven't played enough of Collings or any other small builder to have an opinion of them.

As for the Eastman E20OM - when I bought my E6OM i was in a strong Spruce/Mahogany phase. I tried the E6, E8, E10 and E20 OM's. I STRONGLY preferred the Sitka topped E models to the Adirondack ones. Warmer and less tight - at least brand new.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-07-2016, 08:19 AM

At one point I owned both a Martin om21 and an Eastman e20om when I went through an OM phase several years ago. Both were great guitars and played somewhat similar. (I should mention that my om21 was prior to Martin changing the neck profile.)

The Martin had a little more clarity and note separation than the Eastman, however the Eastman certainly had more tonal complexity (especially in the midrange) which I really enjoyed. The e20om was actually more similar in tone to the 000-28EC that I also had at that point. Overall, I would actually put it somewhere in between the om21 and 000-28EC, but of course I'm putting it's tone into a box here that doesn't really exist. It does, after all, have its own vintage-sounding-guitar-thing going on.

Surprisingly, I actually ended up keeping just the Eastman after shooting those 3 guitars out for a month or so. I played that Eastman for over a year until I ultimately "found my sound" in slope-shoulder designs.
“One who is content with what he has, and who accepts the fact that he inevitably misses very much in life, is far better off than one who has much more but who worries about all he may be missing." -Thomas Merton
Old 06-07-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
I mean compared to Martin OM21, Collings OM2H, and Larrivee OM, just how good is Eastman E20OM?

Do any of y'all use it as a primary? Or just 2nd/back up?

Cheers!
Tonally the Eastman more than holds it's own against the guitars you mention, but don't expect the near perfect fit and finish we are used to from brands like Martin, Taylor and Larrivee. Eastmans are truly handmade, and you will see some signs of it here and there, but the value is unbeatable.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM

I've played the Eastman E6OM and E20OM head-to-head with my personal Larrivee OM-40R and a Martin OM-21 that was also in the shop. All slightly different flavors, but the Eastmans gave up nothing in tone, volume, or responsiveness. I don't recall major flaws on the Eastmans, but the fit and finish is probably where you'll see the lower price - not the tone.

To me, the Eastmans were closer to the Martin in voice than my Larry. Also, I actually remember finding the E6 more responsive than the E20. Could be due to the Adi top on the E20 being overly stiff, especially on a new guitar.

I think they're a really good value. If I was buying, I would have had a hard time justifying the OM-21 for 2x the price of the Eastmans. And I'm definitely someone who attributes value to made in USA/headstock snobbery.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM

With regard to fit and finish on the Eastmans, I have but one sample to go by (a recent production E10 OO-M all solid flame mahogany) and I'm thrilled to say that the fit, finish, and materials on it are virtually on par with my OM28V, which is saying pretty much "perfect". The tone qualities of the two are different, but each is very pleasing. The OM28V has a larger and deeper voice, which would be expected from the larger OM body. The E10 OO-M has lush, rich overtones that one might not have expected from an all hog body.

If my Eastman sample is any indicator, Eastman build quality is certainly impressive and closely approaching that of the premium-priced instruments.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Post deleted

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-31-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 AM

I own a 2004 OM-21, 2005 OM-03 and 2014 E10-OM SB. Needless to say I would not part with any. All sound diff and all are top shelf guitars that anyone would be happy with. Larri's don't have much bass due to the bracing, unless you get a 40. The Eastman is a short scale, which I love and sounds more like a Martin but much brighter. Acousticly, for small bodies, all three of these cover the tonal spectrum for me.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 AM

I wonder how the responses would turn out if this was asked on a guitar forum in China?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion