The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Default 2013 Custom Collings SJ Rosewood/German/Short Scale DROP **SOLD**

A super clean custom Collings SJ. She plays and sounds wonderful. Very clean, minor pickguard surface scratching, probably a pen jead dimple somewhere if I look really hard.

Comes with 2 bones saddles, one for standard, and one for ultra low action.

Custom specs in bold per Collings.

Top German spruce
Back & Sides E. Indian rosewood
Neck Honduran mahogany
Body Binding Tortoise with b/w/b/w/b purfling
Fingerboard Binding Tortoise with b/w purfling
Peghead Binding Tortoise with b/w purfling
Bridge Ebony modern-style with 2 3/16" spacing
Fingerboard Ebony with MOP modern diamond & squares
Bridge Pins/End Pin Ebony with MOP dot
Nut Bone, 1 3/4"
Saddle Bone, drop-in
Neck Profile C-shape
Peghead Profile Haircut
Neck Joint Mortise & tenon hybrid
Truss Rod Fully adjustable
Frets Medium 18% nickel-silver
Peghead Veneer Ebony with MOP Collings logo
Tuners Nickel Waverly with ebony buttons (14:1 ratio)
Backstrip 3-style (Chevron)
Rosette Ivoroid with b/w purfling
Scale Length 24 7/8"
Brace Material Sitka spruce
Brace Pattern Pre-war scalloped X-brace
Fingerboard Radius 14" - 26" compound
Body Finish High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
Pickguard Tortoise
Strings D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"- .056")
Case Deluxe Hardshell case by TKL

Matching hand painted wall picture not included

Sold a few guitars on AGF but not a frequent seller. Never had one returned and buyers were always pleased. Happy to answer any questions.
Not interested in trades at this time.

Last edited by lcgeek; 03-23-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM

A few more pics. Price drop to $3k. This one really is super clean and sounds like a dream. Only selling to help Hurricane Harvey relief.

Also, would consider a trade for guitars in $500 range with 1 3/4 nut (I need to net $2500 for Harvey project)

[/url]
Old 11-04-2017, 10:37 AM

A good Saturday to ALL!!!

Posting a few more pics in different lighting to try to capture this remarkable creation by the good folks at Collings. Of course, it is impossible to truly capture with my amatuer photography and cell phone camera.

* Want a OM but dreadnaught depth? This SJ is for you!
* What a versatile guitar for strumming, fingerpicking, modern to blues? This SJ is for you!
* Want a custom model with a few tasteful features not found on stock models? This SJ is for you!
* Want to help some folks in Houston with Hurricane Harvey relief? Thisi SJ is for you!

Come new ones, come fence-sitters, come all. This delicious SJ is sure to please. Help me help those in Houston.

If this does not sell, I may just sell my last lone last guitar - a Gibson L-00 Vintage. I chose to sell the Collings thinking there was more money to be made and then donated, but alas, the market is soft.

For those in Phoenix AZ area, offers considered if you come see it and play it in person.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]
Old 11-06-2017, 08:47 AM

Lovely Collings SJ just waiting for you
Old 11-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Open to offers
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 AM

It's been a month since I last bumped this. Delay in bumping is partly due to REALLY loving this one, plus I ended up selling a few other guitars to help fund my Hurricane Harvey relief project.

This fine Collings is still available and is spectacular in every way. Someone is going to get a REALLY good one.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:14 PM

I stopped trying to sell this stellar guitar a while back. It is back on the market.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking Collings, and really respect your Harvey contributions, that was a real mess down south and I had quite a few friends down there get hit in different ways.

Big question, a subjective one of course. How would you describe tone wise? You've got an SJ200 shape, but Collings always bring their own thing to every shape, where they sound like a Collings (in my experience with 2, a CJ35 and DS1 that has been crisp defined notes, evenly balanced across low/mid/eye - even the Gibson inspired 35 sounded more like a Collings). OH, and what year is it?

thx!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Nice looking Collings, and really respect your Harvey contributions, that was a real mess down south and I had quite a few friends down there get hit in different ways.

Big question, a subjective one of course. How would you describe tone wise? You've got an SJ200 shape, but Collings always bring their own thing to every shape, where they sound like a Collings (in my experience with 2, a CJ35 and DS1 that has been crisp defined notes, evenly balanced across low/mid/eye - even the Gibson inspired 35 sounded more like a Collings). OH, and what year is it?

thx!
You're right it is hard to describe tone, especially since we all hear differently based on perceptions and style etc. To me, off the cuff the things that come to mind are balanced like a really good OM, but with a bit more bottom end, but the bottom end is not a boomy bottom, a bit tighter more focused bottom. Overall, the tone is very balanced but even so, the trebles in this particular one are so crystal clear it blows my mind. Bell like, but definitely not harsh in any way, shape, or form - unlike any guitar I have owned, Collings or otherwise. Not sure if it is the Rosewood B/S + German top, or those combined with the SJ shape, but to me the tone is POWER combined with SMOOTHNESS. I've owned guitars that exuded more power and it's not like they were harsh or boomy in their power, but they just didn't also have the same kind of overall smoothness this one has along with a lot of power. It also doesn't hurt that the notes jump out of this one without much effort at all
I love it, of the Collings I have had, 002H, OM2H, OM1, CJ, this is my favorite for tone, and surprisingly comfy for an otherwise larger body shape.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 PM

looking to move this, I'm not one to sit and watch guitars for sale for months in hopes of getting what "I think" it's worth. This market is buyer's dream. Sadly, I am a seller right now.

$2700 shipped CONUS for a mighty fine custom Collings that will knock your socks off.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM

I refuse to be denied selling this magnificient guitar. Another price drop.

$2650 Shipped CONUS.

Don't like it? (you will) I will pay 1/2 the return shipping.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 PM

Hey there / does this have the standard neck profile? Ie, kind of a chunky C shaped neck?

Great deal!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 PM

Full C profile, although I would not call it chunky.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Oh NO! This SJ dropped off the first page, so time for another price drop. Let's see how far we can take it

$2600 for anyone who has yet to contact me about this fine SJ.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 AM

Tough crowd. Dropped off page 1, so yet another price drop. 2550. I hate money. This is stupid price for this much guitar in this condition. How long will I remain insane, not sure.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars