The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 AM

Default When the acoustic player crosses over...

.. that's the age-old question. Glad you're honing in on the LP- a great guitar, if you can find one that weighs less than 10 lbs. I'd certainly need a chambered model, which can spare a couple of pounds from that. You seem to want a classic, iconic brand, as so many do, but you'll pay for that. My first choice in guitars under $1000, which is all I but, is Godin. Great company with innovative designs, enviro cred and a North American workforce. The electrics are assembled in Vermont, IIRC.

My Godin Icon Classic II Convertible (not so catchy a name as "Stratocaster," is it?) plays like an 8-pound Les Paul that doesn't hang heavy at the neck. It offers a tremendous range of pickup settings. It cost just $380 at a pawn, about a thousand off list. Two toggle switches were busted, so I had them fixed for $50. Electrics are generally more sturdy than flattops, and easier to fix, so I wouldn't shy away from used, Buy with a 24-hour return period and take it straight to a good guitar shop for evaluation and new strings.

I see a progression of electrics from the least-acoustic-guitar-like (shedders & strats) through LPs to Teles, then to the semis and hollow-bodies (Gibson 335, Gretsch). If I wanted something completely different, well grab that Strat, and start getting used to a neck that feels like it came from a completely different instrument. But I love that the necks on my Godin Icon matches the neck on my Fifth Avenue & Kingpin archtops, so there's little finger adjustment between the three.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Nashvillian View Post
My first choice in guitars under $1000, which is all I but, is Godin. Great company with innovative designs, enviro cred and a North American workforce. The electrics are assembled in Vermont, IIRC.
Godin makes great electrics. Used they are an absolute steal. I had an LG P-90 for years. Now sorry I let it go.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 AM

+1 for the Yamaha THR5 or THR10. It's solid state but responds incredibly like a tube amp (the harder your dig in, the dirtier it gets in the Crunch setting for example). It's a modelling amp ie has 5 different styles at the twist of a knob (Clean, Crunch, Lead, British and Modern) as well as Spring and Hall reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger and Tremolo effects. A truly versatile amp for home use (can also be battery operated) which will inspire you and experiment (if you're a song writer).

As for a guitar, it's a very personal thing, but I would recommend a Strat-type guitar because of its versatility. You can cover a wide range of tones and styles.
Journey Overhead OF660
Dusenberg Paloma
Relish Bloody Mary
Old 03-07-2018, 09:11 AM

I've been lurking in this thread since I also have a little bit of the electric bug.
Every time I hear a familiar little lead riff, bluesy piece, or a distorted old favorite, I'm ready to dive in.
I know that I'll still be a 90% acoustic player so there's no need to get crazy.
I was first considering a PRS SE model but now I've found the Squier bullett for less than $200. As long as it sounds ok - that's hard to beat.
I'll probably play them all to see how they sound / feel but I was curious about any experienced thoughts on the squier.
Would I be going too cheap? I don't need fantastic - just plain old good.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Starter gear

Depending on where you are at as a player don't overlook Epiphones. They are the lower end models by Gibson and can get you a great variety of enjoyable playing for under $600 and less if used. Their resale value hovers between $250 and 300 in general and you can also buy new cheaply but I would avoid the latest Slim D necks unless you have large hands.

Re: a starter low volume amp - there are so many coming out now it's a smorgasbord but I had great results with a Fender Champ as a practice amp - might be called the Champion now and has low wattage and comes with efx built in as well as models of traditional Fender sounds.

Re: pedals - again it's a booming industry these days but he basics come down to an Overdrive YOU like and a delay pedal for ambience - if you choose an amp as described above you may not need pedals right away - but if you plan to go to jams them a 15=20 watt amp and the 2 pedals mentioned above should cover you.

FYI - GAS stands for "gear acquisition syndrome" - something a lot of us fall prey to by buying more and more pedals or switching them out for "better" ones...watch out for that LOL - BTW I have played all my life and still gig regularly in Phx area with a band and have a pedalboard with 8 pedals that fulfill my needs...but that has evolved over many years. I also have a boutique amp I bought 16 years ago and still use - runs at 22 watts and is plently loud...
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Dabbling in the electric on a budget: let's talk gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I've been lurking in this thread since I also have a little bit of the electric bug.

Every time I hear a familiar little lead riff, bluesy piece, or a distorted old favorite, I'm ready to dive in.

I know that I'll still be a 90% acoustic player so there's no need to get crazy.

I was first considering a PRS SE model but now I've found the Squier bullett for less than $200. As long as it sounds ok - that's hard to beat.

I'll probably play them all to see how they sound / feel but I was curious about any experienced thoughts on the squier.

I would skip on the Bullet if you’re looking for a Strat that sounds good. The bullet will give you the playability of a Strat, but the electronics and hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Spend $100-150 more and get a classic vibe series. Better construction, hardware and electronics. Or surf your local craigslist, you might find a decent MIM Strat for around that price.

Now if you find a Bullet on Craigslist for $100, then you’ll have the money leftover to make the necessary mods to make it a decent playing and sounding Strat.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstermarce View Post
+1 for the Yamaha THR5 or THR10. It's solid state but responds incredibly like a tube amp (the harder your dig in, the dirtier it gets in the Crunch setting for example). It's a modelling amp ie has 5 different styles at the twist of a knob (Clean, Crunch, Lead, British and Modern) as well as Spring and Hall reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger and Tremolo effects. A truly versatile amp for home use (can also be battery operated) which will inspire you and experiment (if you're a song writer).
I've been reading up on this one and there's a ton of positive reviews, and it seems like it'd likely be a winner. I hesitate though because it's more expensive than the other amps I've been considering, and I can't find an example to try locally. I don't know if I would regret not waiting and saving a little more, but seeing how I've already decided to wait and save on the guitar itself, impatience will likely get the better of me. I'm only a man, after all.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I would skip on the Bullet if you’re looking for a Strat that sounds good. The bullet will give you the playability of a Strat, but the electronics and hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Spend $100-150 more and get a classic vibe series. Better construction, hardware and electronics. Or surf your local craigslist, you might find a decent MIM Strat for around that price.

Now if you find a Bullet on Craigslist for $100, then you’ll have the money leftover to make the necessary mods to make it a decent playing and sounding Strat.
Thanks neeto - not really sure what sound I'm looking for yet but would gladly pay a little extra for the quality.
Those are the things i have no experience with and what I was looking to you guys for.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM

I would look for a used Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster. They are some of Fender's best guitars, rivaling American made. I've seen them go for a couple hundred.

For an amp, I just ordered this one.

5 watts, 8" speaker, very simple controls. Real bluesy clean with some warm tube break up, and responds well to pedals. A cheap boost, compressor, OD or tube screamer would be all you'd need to get dirty.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Baja Tele that I picked up used at Guitar Center for $500. Its a great guitar, being mostly an acoustic player I like the thicker neck and bigger frets, and the simple layout of the Tele.

I picked up an old Fender Silverface Champ on Craigslist a while back for $225. Its from the 70's, 5 watts, and an 8" speaker. Nice clean sound, and you can crank it mostly without disturbing the neighbors, though it can get pretty loud. I honestly don't play it much these days, and go back and forth about selling it. But its my only piece of "vintage" gear.

The Fender Bassbreaker 007 is another fun amp if you are want something more home friendly. 7 watts, 10" speaker, and a master volume, which lets you get some tube breakup at a variety of volumes. Nice warm clean sound, though not a ton of headroom. It rocks out pretty hard. I couldnt pass up a used one for $300 recently, its a fun amp.

I was in the local music recently and plugged a $250 Classic Vibe Squier Strat into a $450 used Blues Junior with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Man what great tone, I was grinning from ear to ear. Not to mention the $700 total price, very impressive. I'm tempted to go buy that Blues Jr, nice tones at lower volumes but also a giggable amp. I'd recommend plugging into one of those if you have not already.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

It's not just Les Pauls that are heavy, my Strat weighs 9 lbs 13 oz, more than 3 of my cats!
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks neeto - not really sure what sound I'm looking for yet but would gladly pay a little extra for the quality.

Those are the things i have no experience with and what I was looking to you guys for.

You’re welcome! I love strats and cheap Squiers can make good guitars with the right mods. But modding a Squier, can get to the point where you might as well buy the more expensive guitar. My Strat is actually a 1989 Squier that was as cheap as they came back then. Plywood body, super cheap electronics, and pathetic hardware. Best thing about it was the price. Free.99! A friend of mine had it tossed in a closet and told me to take it. He then gave me a bag with some misc pickups that happen to be off an American Strat. All I needed was to replace the hardware and electronics. So I went to guitarpartsonline.com and bought a set of vintage style tuning keys, a better tremolo, pots, and other bits and ends like roller string trees. Spent a bit over $100 for everything. I played my first live gig with that guitar. It was awesome to restore that thing and turned out to be a great playing guitar and with the mods, it now rivals American made ones in tone, playability, and stability. It now has custom hand wound pickups. With those pickups and the rest of the mods, this guitar is at around $400 invested. Yeah she would still sell for $150 lol!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
You’re welcome! I love strats and cheap Squiers can make good guitars with the right mods. But modding a Squier, can get to the point where you might as well buy the more expensive guitar.
That's right. Sorry to quote myself, but I posted this awhile back:

A bit of general advice. Beware of those who say "Oh, Mexican Fenders are nice, if you don't like the pickups, you can always upgrade", etc. I think I would make sure I would be happy with the Mexican as it stands.

I recently bought an American made strat, because I found out that if I bought a Mexican and then added a case, better pickups, a trem block, and the labor to change it all out (I'm not friends with soldering irons) I was actually gonna have more $ in the Mexican than in a MIA American Standard. No-brainer.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I've been reading up on this one and there's a ton of positive reviews, and it seems like it'd likely be a winner. I hesitate though because it's more expensive than the other amps I've been considering, and I can't find an example to try locally. I don't know if I would regret not waiting and saving a little more, but seeing how I've already decided to wait and save on the guitar itself, impatience will likely get the better of me. I'm only a man, after all.
Hi Terry C

There are other home amp alternatives (Vox, Boss Katana) and the THR5/10 is a few years old now and without Bluetooth connectivity. It is comparatively expensive but for me the sound and quality is really superb - as you would expect from the Japanese. I have it permanently hooked up to my laptop and listen to music and youtube through those speakers. Maybe you can pick one up second hand?

I like my THR5 so much I am considering the THR100HD (dual head) for the cover band I play in. I currently have a second hand Koch Jupiter hybrid amp (pre-amp is tubed and the power stage is transistor). It's great but not as versatile as the THR100HD would be.

I certainly understand your impatience!
Journey Overhead OF660
Dusenberg Paloma
Relish Bloody Mary
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I agree w/neeto - skip on the Bullet.

Wait until MF has a SDOTD on a G&L.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars