The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Many people are sure there will be no difference when bridge pins are changed. I would not be surprised if the results vary from one guitar to the next, maybe from one person to the next.

I've only changed pins on one of my guitars, my 1967 Martin D-35. This is a guitar I have owned and played for more than 4 decades so I know it very well. I bought a new set of pins for the D-35 and it ended up too bright, so I pulled out the old original plastic pins from 1967 and they mellowed the sound of the guitar considerably. The strings were not changed. In fact, I changed out 3 difference sets of pins after this as an experiment. Two sets were overly bright, the old plastic pins were more mellow and that's what's back in the guitar now.

I'm a design engineer with 43 years of experience, so I am used to being honest with myself about what is true and factual and what is not. Of course, maybe I am kidding myself here on the pins for my D-35.

- Glenn
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM

A good ear is both a blessing and a curse........................come to think of it,a bad ear is also a blessing and a curse....................Some of us are just more blessed then others.
Tom
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM

I replaced the stock plastic pins on my 2009 D-28 to bone pins. The plastic pins did not fit well and sat too high. The bone pins made a very slight difference in brightness and sustain, and they fit better.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM

A lot of great comments everyone, I appreciate all of your opinions. My next question will be...Should I or shouldn't I... I might try a set of bone pins.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Bone saddle, Bone Nut, maybe. Pins, if the pins are proper fit to the hole, and the string in seated and tight, should not make any difference.
Dan
Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM

If the bridge pins weigh nothing, then they'll make no difference.

If they weigh something, they'll make a difference.

Whether you can hear the difference depends on both your hearing and the weight of the pins.

Try some brass pins and tell me if you can hear the difference.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Try a different pick might make more appreciable difference right away.

I was using the Dunlop 1mm blue Tortex picks which worked well taking the brightness out of a 74 Ovation but didn't work well with my 2012 D-18 because they dulled it down a bit so I switched to the brown Fender heavy picks in the same shape as the Dunlop. The Fender picks sound better on the D-18.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM

I got some pins made from the jawbone of a donkey and when I hit the first chord I slew 40 Philistines.

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM

For a brighter sound use Taylor pins. You'll find them attached to a Taylor guitar.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
I have the original bridge pins on my 2011 HD28. Would different pins make a change in the sound and if so which one would you recommended for a slightly brighter sound. I have never tried changing the pins and I don't know what to expect as to how the guitar will sound. I am sure this has been asked before. Thanks
Hi harry b...

If you like your guitar the way it sounds, you don't need to change them. If you don't like the way your guitar sounds, pins won't likely fix it.

Asking if pins change sound is like asking if pick guards change sound. The answer is sometimes...and for lots of reasons.
  • Improper fitted pins sound better when changed for properly fitted ones
  • Brass, Titanium or Lead pins all add quite a bit more weight to the bridge than it was designed for, and will probably change some characteristic component of the sound; not always a good thing...but sometimes just fine
  • Swapping cheap plastic pins for organic, non-man made pins may not sound any better, but it will likely look better, and will certainly last better
  • Wood, metal, and bone pins won't melt if you forget and leave your guitar in the car on a sunny afternoon and heat it to extremes. Of course the bridge may pop off...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
I got some pins made from the jawbone of a donkey and when I hit the first chord I slew 40 Philistines.
Hey, Samson, I just got a text from your significant other Delilah. She told me to tell you:

1.) Turn your amp down;

and

2.) You're due for a haircut.

Wade Hampton "I Can Hear Those Clippers Hummin'...." Miller
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
Great.....You get it.

For a brighter sound use Taylor pins. You'll find them attached to a Taylor guitar. Precisely !

Dan
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM

I don't believe changing pins will make a noticeable difference.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM

I have always believed that it helps sustain but even after putting ebony and tusq pins in a couple of my guitars I could hear nothing different in the tone.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM

"I put camel bone pins on my Tacoma Baritone"

I dunno, I've heard camel bone gives a distinct mid hump.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion