The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Record a LR Baggs Lyric

I have a Boucher OM and I've got a LR Baggs Lyric installed.
I'd like to record the guitar but I'm having trouble with a microphone (my apartment is not suitable for recording for various noise reason).

What would be my best option to record the guitar?

I tried directly into my Focusrite interface but it's not quite it.

Should I mic an acoustic amplifier or are there software out there (just like amplitude for electric guitar)?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

I'd think direct into your preamp would be the way to go. The Lyric already has an onboard preamp, you don't need more preamps in the signal path. For electric guitar, those gizmos are for adding distortion and so on. Unless you're trying for something unnatural, direct in should be best. Probably the reason you say it's "not quite it", is because it a pickup, which will never be quite like a good external mic. There are things you can do in post processing to improve the sound, and you should be able to make reasonable recordings with a Lyric - they won't fool anyone, but they should acceptable. Post what you have and maybe I or someone else can be more helpful.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Would micing an acoustic amplifier give me better results than direct?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I guess it depends on how you define "better". What sound do you want? Most people feel that the sound of a pickup through an amplifies pales in comparison to the acoustic sound of the guitar, so if you record that, and do it accurately, the results will sound like a guitar thru an amp. If you prefer that sound, great! Most people probably will not, but a lot depends on your style of music and so on.

I'd suggest recording your guitar with a mic and also the pickup and posting the results. Many people have issues with noise, and it can often be dealt with. If we can hear what you are getting, you should be able to get useful suggestions. Without knowing what your current recordings sound like, I don't think anyone can tell you what will be "better".

Unless you plan to release the recordings commercially, it may be that recording with a mic, even in a noisy environment is the best option. Many people record things for friends, to share here or on you tube in less than optimal acoustic settings, and it's fine. Quite likely better than any pickup recording you can do. (Although the Lyric direct can sound pretty good - search for Joe Hanna's recordings with a Lyric here) If you're trying to produce a commercial-quality release, the best bet is probably to go to a professional studio.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-20-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBlues View Post
Would micing an acoustic amplifier give me better results than direct?
Hi WB...

To my ear, using a mic on the guitar would sound best.

Internal rigs are seldom as natural sounding as an external mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD