The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-20-2016, 05:36 AM

Default NGD: Line 6 Variax Standard

I was asked to join a charity focused rock band. It's a group of people who will do a few shows a year in support of children's charities. So, I had to buy an electric guitar. I'm kind of excited about my choice. I decided to get the Line 6 Variax Standard sunburst and the Firehawk processor. It will integrate nicely with my L2t PA. The guitar itself is very nice and the processing is incredible. I can mimic a strat, tele, Les Paul; 355, arch top, dobro, banjo, etc. One guitar buys me a lot of flexibility. Since I'll be playing rhythm and singing, it should be plenty.

I think I'm done buying for a while.

2 six strings, 12 string, travel, and electric are way more than I expected to purchase at anytime in the past. Fortunately, I don't feel guilty and I like them all very much.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-21-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I was asked to join a charity focused rock band. It's a group of people who will do a few shows a year in support of children's charities. So, I had to buy an electric guitar. I'm kind of excited about my choice. I decided to get the Line 6 Variax Standard sunburst and the Firehawk processor. It will integrate nicely with my L2t PA. The guitar itself is very nice and the processing is incredible. I can mimic a strat, tele, Les Paul; 355, arch top, dobro, banjo, etc. One guitar buys me a lot of flexibility. Since I'll be playing rhythm and singing, it should be plenty.

2 six strings, 12 string, travel, and electric are way more than I expected to purchase at anytime in the past. Fortunately, I don't feel guilty and I like them all very much.

Cheers

Congratulations. That's exactly the kind of band I've always wanted to have, but could never generate interest in.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Congrats on the Variax! You have lots of options with that. Is it a 25.5" scale length?

Good luck with the Charity band. Sounds like a great cause.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on the Variax! You have lots of options with that. Is it a 25.5" scale length?

Good luck with the Charity band. Sounds like a great cause.

Yes it's the long scale length and I really like the feel. I only had a chance to strum it momentarily so far. But, the quality is nice and the setup is great. I'm looking forward to making some noise.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Let us know how things work out after the first band practice. Do you have an idea of what setting(s) you'll use the most? i.e. Strat or Les Paul?
Quote:
Yes it's the long scale length and I really like the feel. I only had a chance to strum it momentarily so far. But, the quality is nice and the setup is great. I'm looking forward to making some noise.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:00 AM

I'm very impressed with the quality of this guitar. The modeling is truly great and sounds authentic. Assuming I know what an authentic 59 strat and Les Paul sound like. ;-)

The fire hawk FX board is also impressive. Line 6 seems to think of everything.

Regarding my favorite, it would have to be the strat at this point. Thought, all the Gibson and Rick models are fun too. The acoustic and resonator options could be fun in a band situation where even the best acoustics get lost in the mix a bit.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 AM

I've been meaning to give one of those a try. I had a Variax 300 about 8-10 years ago and was not impressed - lots of digital artefacts like the bizarre response to palm muting (sounded nothing like palm muting my real electrics). I bet the technology has improved over the past decade, though.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I've been meaning to give one of those a try. I had a Variax 300 about 8-10 years ago and was not impressed - lots of digital artefacts like the bizarre response to palm muting (sounded nothing like palm muting my real electrics). I bet the technology has improved over the past decade, though.
I had a 600 for many years also - overall, a rather better instrument than the 300 (I've played both), but with the same electronics. The palm muting thing never bothered me, as it's a technique I very rarely use - but I do recall its failings consuming vast amounts of time and energy on the Line 6 forums

I loved mine - I played it in church through a Pod XT Live, and for sheer versatility, the combination could not be beaten. I'm sure the technology has improved significantly over the years, and now they have mag pickups as well as the piezo in the bridge, I'm sure you could palm mute to your heart's content.

Interestingly, when I saw the Doobie Brothers recently, John McFee played a current Variax for much of the show - the four knob layout was a dead giveaway.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I had a 600 for many years also - overall, a rather better instrument than the 300 (I've played both), but with the same electronics. The palm muting thing never bothered me, as it's a technique I very rarely use - but I do recall its failings consuming vast amounts of time and energy on the Line 6 forums

I loved mine - I played it in church through a Pod XT Live, and for sheer versatility, the combination could not be beaten. I'm sure the technology has improved significantly over the years, and now they have mag pickups as well as the piezo in the bridge, I'm sure you could palm mute to your heart's content.

Interestingly, when I saw the Doobie Brothers recently, John McFee played a current Variax for much of the show - the four knob layout was a dead giveaway.

Looks like you are absolutely correct.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3816/john-mcfee/

Old 11-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Cheers
Dave, That's a neat guitar and I've thought about getting a Line 6 Variax for awhile now for its versatility. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Dave, That's a neat guitar and I've thought about getting a Line 6 Variax for awhile now for its versatility. Enjoy!

Thanks! I've been enjoying it. Though, sadly, we have had little time to practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 AM

I've always wanted to try one of these. I'm a big fan of Line 6 products and currently have a POD 500X which I love. BUT, I want to upgrade to the Helix eventually.

I guess the real question is how does it feel to play? The tone aside, we know Line 6 is good at killer tones. I believe Yamaha makes the Variax for Line 6?

I have a home studio and always looking for ways to simplify recording. Just use it for YouTube videos (link in my sig below). I just bought a very expensive Les Paul and maybe when I'm done paying for this I'll look into a Variax.

I just haven't seen one around I can try.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
I've always wanted to try one of these. I'm a big fan of Line 6 products and currently have a POD 500X which I love. BUT, I want to upgrade to the Helix eventually.

I guess the real question is how does it feel to play? The tone aside, we know Line 6 is good at killer tones. I believe Yamaha makes the Variax for Line 6?

I have a home studio and always looking for ways to simplify recording. Just use it for YouTube videos (link in my sig below). I just bought a very expensive Les Paul and maybe when I'm done paying for this I'll look into a Variax.

I just haven't seen one around I can try.
Since they bought Line 6, Yamaha now makes the Line 6 guitars.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 AM

I believe they have two levels of Variax. The lower cost model is a Yamaha. I would put it on par with a entry level Fender Strat. It plays well.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I believe they have two levels of Variax. The lower cost model is a Yamaha. I would put it on par with a entry level Fender Strat. It plays well.

Yes, the more expensive Variax guitars are James Tyler models but I don't know who makes them. There are also two levels of James Tyler models, less costly foreign-made, and more expensive American-made (I think).
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars